Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on RyanAir

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RyanAir is...
...fond of extorting money out of the poorest people.
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
...a great service to allow poor people to travel more.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
...in breach of the magna carta by punishing fellow citizens (with punitive charges)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
...a perfectly excellent airline as long as you obey their clearly described rules.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
...merely the natural progression of this race to the bottom.
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
...too damn cheap but to use. Grudgingly. Through gritted teeth. And anxiety about charges.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
... 2 or more of the above.
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
... literally all of that. Good and bad. Ryanair is Ryanair. WYSIWYG
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 65

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I agree it's absurd that people are taking the mindset of, "It's your own fault for flying with them." Hardly a socially conscious thing to say really.

People shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

If you fly with the cheapest of the cheap shitty no frills budget airlines then you should expect to get cheap shitty no frill service.

Do they make any secret of how people can fly without incurring any extra charges?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Do they make any secret of how people can fly without incurring any extra charges?

Yes, because you will always trigger something sooner or later.

It's like the congestion fee charging system where you could preload a card and take it automatically.

They had to stop doing that because they needed people to forget so that they pay fines.

I expect Ryanair will do the same. It's been a tough month, lets monitor the hand luggage for a few days, collect a million or two from passengers at gun point for their bags being too tight in the bag sizer... and then we will stop doing it for a while.

It's like fishing. Exploit, allow to recover, exploit again.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Yes, because you will always trigger something sooner or later.

In the many many years I have been flying using Ryanair, I have never "triggered" any extra charges.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They monitor hand luggage size very closely every hour of every day.

Saying extra charges for bags being too large is collected at gunpoint is a bit of an exaggeration.

Restrictions of the size of hand luggage is something all(?) airlines have.

Fly BA and you'll get BA service. Fly Ryanair and you'll get Ryanair service.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't going to stop the bastirts.
There are enough sheeps to fill the seats.

If they do go tits up then I demand that the little seaside paradise town on the west coast of Scotland has it's wee name changed back to 'Prestwick' and not Glasgow-Prestwick.

Glasgow is fifty freakin' miles from Prestwick FFS Shocked.
The Irish bastirts even changed Scottish geography to make money.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:29 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better airlines have gone bust in history, they have just shot themselves down in flames.
When a company goes to the wall you normally look elsewhere and normally find a better service, so do it , vote with your feet ,... and your credit card

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:34 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if people don't want "service" and instead want cheap no frills tickets?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What if people don't want "service" and instead want cheap no frills tickets?

Better service can still mean no frills, just a bit of respect for the customer

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

In the many many years I have been flying using Ryanair, I have never "triggered" any extra charges.

And I never got scammed in South East Asia, or central Asia.

Hats off to you. You can game them, you are right. Flying as a single adult/couple, scrutinising the T&C and just popping over to Amsterdam for a tenner for the weekend... Quite simple to avoid getting screwed.

Harder and harder these days (they ramped up mid 2016 by the sound of it), but doable.

Much harder when taking a family anywhere on holiday, is my point.

And if your bag fits in the bag sizer, but requires a push to get in, they can (and do) dig their heels in to charge you.

Issues with their check-in system, they charge you.

Ink not dark enough on your print out? They charge you.

Got the check in pdf on your phone, clearly visible in an airport that allows phone check in? It's not on their app... they charge you.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ryanair came under fire earlier this summer after it was accused of routinely allocating groups of travellers seats in different rows in a bid to force them to pay to sit together.

In June, MoneySavingExpert.com revealed a 15-strong hen party had been seated in 15 separate rows – with every person in a middle seat – under its supposedly "random" seating allocation policy.

Hmmm, that delicious smell of desperation.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:40 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/easyjet-tricks

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one low cost airline that has a deliberate bug on their booking page, especially seen on poor internet, that changes the flight date when you're not looking. Impossible to prove, so I won't name names... but another carrier I desperately try to avoid using.

What brave new world we live in.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I won't name names

Well... no "helpful" karma for you then....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Used them to get to a meeting in Belfast and they bumped me from my morning flight as they'd over-subscribed it.

I thought that was a fairly common practice?

MCN wrote:
It ain't going to stop the bastirts.
There are enough sheeps to fill the seats.

If they do go tits up then I demand that the little seaside paradise town on the west coast of Scotland has it's wee name changed back to 'Prestwick' and not Glasgow-Prestwick.

Glasgow is fifty freakin' miles from Prestwick FFS Shocked.
The Irish bastirts even changed Scottish geography to make money.

I thought that was part of the Ryanair experience, flying to some shite airport many miles away from the city you wanted Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryanair are a cuntankerous shower of cnuts when it comes to customer service. There is not much to complain about. As there is not much service for customers.
Cancel a flight you lose the cost of the ticket but you are due return of un-used airport tax.

They don't give it to Gordon Brown then hawd oan tae it. It may be a tenner here or 15 quid there but they hawd oan tae it all the same.

The chancellor doesn't seem to care about the loss to the IRS either.

I have not been victim of their blackmail/ransom style of retail. I do not spend on their frills.

They have had not much effect on the Big Bastirts either.
B.A. stopped loads of regional airport routes and reduced the services to customers on-board under the guise of competition.
The Cloggies and the Froggies followed suit.
They all still take 200 euro for a no frills GLA to AMS or GLA to LHR.

At least the budget boys don't take a piece of your liver to deliver.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Better service can still mean no frills, just a bit of respect for the customer

He does seem to have quite a good business model right now as every time cuts cuts yet more corners to save money, he gets free publicity in the news.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bonny....

https://i.imgur.com/zIFbFH0.png

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

To be clear, it absolutely was not the Chinese airline.

The Chinese actually understand customer service, especially for foreigners.

I once missed a train in China due to traffic, and when I got to customer services they put me straight on the next train and refunded me some money as the ticket was slightly cheaper. Mr. Green

They may do many weird things, but they take care of their customers.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:04 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them a few times and really can't see the problem. They've always been good enough for a short flight and the planes usually look almost new. I can follow basic instructions and don't need to be mollycoddled by staff.

The only complaints I hear about them are "they charged me a fortune to print my boarding pass for me when I forgot/didn't bother" and "Ryanair are shit" (no further info so I suspect they are embarrassed to be part of the first group.).

The latest issue with not having pilots to fly their planes is a stupid mistake but no worse than some of the issues BA has had recently. People really should vote with their money. I wouldn't expect Ryanair to change anything at the prices they are charging. If someone else provides a much better service and you can justify the price then go for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:

The only complaints I hear about them are "they charged me a fortune to print my boarding pass for me when I forgot/didn't bother" and "Ryanair are shit" (no further info so I suspect they are embarrassed to be part of the first group.).

Laughing

Give it time. It will happen to you.

There are two types of bikers. Those that have fallen off. And those who will. You appear to be in the second group Wink

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:28 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will? Forewarned is forearmed and all that Laughing.

What is it that they do so wrong that other airlines never mess up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

The Chinese actually understand customer service, especially for foreigners.

I once missed a train in China due to traffic, and when I got to customer services they put me straight on the next train and refunded me some money as the ticket was slightly cheaper. Mr. Green

They may do many weird things, but they take care of their customers.

Yep.

I had to make a trip back to the UK a few weeks ago. Woke up to an email from Air China telling me that the flight was an hour behind schedule. This meant that my connection at Beijing was going to be really tight. When I checked in I told them so. They put me on another flight, no problem at all. Just because I might have missed the connection in Beijing.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit that gets me is the amount of folk that pay for priority boarding; there's so many of them they end up standing in a queue longer than standard boarding, and the smart man doesn't queue at all, just sits down and waits for the end of the queue to be 4-5 people, strolls up and presents, gets on plane unruffled and sits in his allocated seat same as everyone else.

Why on earth would you pay more for that?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.

After arriving in a hotel in Manchester, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness.

The barman nodded and said, "That will be £1 please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the lbarman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6 pm until 8 pm. We have the cheapest beer in England".

"That is remarkable value", Michael comments.

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be £3 please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up.

He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra £2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you £1."

"I think you may be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please".

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in, he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of £4 for your seat sir".

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another £3."

O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be £2 please."

O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary."

"I've had enough! What sort of a Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his e-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00 am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only £1 per second, or part thereof".

"I will never use this bar again".

"OK sir, but do remember, we are the only hotel in England selling pints for £1."

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Why on earth would you pay more for that?

Cos people aren't very smart? Smile One year at the British motorshow at the Excel, it was the same price at the door and online except you paid a £2 booking fee online. Virtually the whole train emptied at the stop for those who pre-booked, the next station for those who hadn't got a ticket was empty with no queues getting in Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4