Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cracked engine case, replacement sought

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Renzakuken
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:44 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: cracked engine case, replacement sought Reply with quote

Good evening all

Does anyone know where I can find a working engine case for the left side of my GSX650f?

I worry that buying off ebay and getting a scuffed second hand unit may cause more problems.

Currently a small amount of oil drips out of my engine case when it's on the side stand, i've no idea how much comes out when riding but frankly it doesn't bear thinking about.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is yours cracked?

leaking from gasket?

why dont you spray brake cleaner all over the cases to clean em up. start the bike on the stand an watch to see where its dripping from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:38 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above.
First find the leak. It may just be the gasket. If so, drain oil, remove casing, clean meticulously, re-fit with new gasket.. hint gasket.. paper thing, not gloopy chit out of a tube!
Id casing is cracked... as above..... if o chunks of casing are missing, they can usually be repaired with aluminium weld, or a diligently applied bit of apropiate epoxy like metal-set... filed/sanded back to shape and then painted, before re-fit with new paper gasket.
Pinicle to repair though is reoval and cleaning; ali-weld or umiweld 'braze' and especially resin does not 'stick' to oil. Flange faces dont seal well if they have any old gasket left on them, and gloopy-chit is NOT good when it squidges into the chamber behind the casing to get into the oil and block oil-ways and filters or pumps and stuff!

Ultimately, if you want a fit and forget no faff fix, a ew case, IF it is the case is an expensive answer... I'd be dubiouse of any 2nd hand casing from a breakers.. where will it have come from? Whats the odds its any beter than what you got, coming from a bike that's either been crashed or siezed..... A-N-D..... e-brakers prices are some-times more than brand newbit from dealers... so IF you go down that route I'd check the price of new at franchise and independents before looking how optimistic breakers be.

But, in all liklihood short of some-one strippig treads or cracking the oss in a fill or drain plug, the case can be salvagd with ali-weld or epoxy or just new paper gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:45 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually drips around the side stand are chain lube gloop. It gathers around the front sprocket, and heat of the engine melts it. Looks like drip of really dark oil, because it's filthy stuff.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1