Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCN VS Autotrader - Selling a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN Or Autotrader for selling a bike ...
MCN
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Autotrader
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Other
67%
 67%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 31

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: MCN VS Autotrader - Selling a bike? Reply with quote

Hello BCF,

I'm curious on people's opinions on which site to use when selling a bike?

MCN & Autotrader seem the obvious choices.
However at £19 - £40 an advert, I'll only be making a £1 profit Crying or Very sad

Any opinions on selling sites or even advice on selling privately would be mucho appreciated Thumbs Up

Cheers
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ebay classified.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:09 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: MCN VS Autotrader - Selling a bike? Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
at £19 - £40 an advert, I'll only be making a £1 profit Crying or Very sad

What are you selling? Laughing

eBay and BCF are the ways to sell.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GummybearTree is always worth a go.

And if you are lucky enough to get an offer from a man living on an oil rig buying for a friend, take it!! It is definitely NOT* a scam.

*Its a scam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:15 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shpock, Facebook and Gumtree are all free to list.
I've bought and sold all of my bikes on them.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumtree and Facebook first, then eBay.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autotrader are wank. £30 for an advert? I'll admit I've recently done this but got one call in 370 views. Sold bike from a sniff through facey. Next time I'll just facebook spam a load of local bikey groups.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:18 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay.

If you advertise it well and are prepared to do it as an auction, people will pay well over the odds for utter rubbish.

I should know, it's been costing me a fortune to buy absolutely shagged basket-cases for parts and there have been several I've bid on and missed that went for ludicrous prices.

So last time I sold a bike, you got 12 photos with each auction. Photograph every side of the bike in good light with a good camera then use the rest to show all the details, good or bad. If people can see exactly what they are getting, they'll bid on it unseen. If someone doesn't put up a full spread of pictures, I assume they are trying to hide something.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Karma
Advert is up on Ebay for 28 days and posted in BCF sale section.
Only have space for one bike so need to shift my SV before I can consider buying something else.

Soooo Rolling Eyes

What's protocol for tyre kickers/ test rides?
My thinking was provided I have their licence and some form of deposit, test pilots welcome.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two risks of test-pilots.

1) The obvious, they nick the bike. So full asking price, in your hand, in cash before they ride off on it. If they don't come back, send their details off as the new keeper. If they didn't come with the asking price, they are a time-waster anyway because nobody goes to buy a second hand vehicle without taking the money with them.

2) Less obvious. Permitting someone to drive/ride your vehicle uninsured carries the same penalty as doing it yourself (and police will give an option of either charging them with taking without consent or charging both of you for riding without insurance). It would actually make sense to see their certificate of insurance first. Yes vanishingly unlikely they'd be caught but the consequences could be a 4-figure fine and 4-6 points.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

facebook owners group got my ZZR sold quite quickly and for free

Hornet was bought from seeing training school advertise it on facebook

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold bikes online and advertised them on eBay, Gumtree, on BCF and a couple of other forums and MCN, and autotrader

based just on my personal experience, I've had most success with eBay classifieds and adverts on forums, then gumtree, autotrader not so much, and as far as I know never from MCN

of course it is no guarantee that just because someone seems like a nice chap online they are a safe bet to buy from, but a regular forum member linking an eBay advert does add a slight positive, cos if they have a history of messing people about they'd hopefully be found out and called on it

What has happened to me, apart from the usual phising/rip off messages that these things bring is long after I have sold a bike, I get a phone call or email query, it seems that some websites literally just rip the ads off and host them with no permission, as I'm always careful to remove the details, mark as sold etc when I sell something

as for test rides, if I sell a trail/dirt bike, I only allow test rides to card carrying members of the TRF

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

always had miles more interest via ebay

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with gumtree and facebook is you get all the mongos trying to swap all sorts of things, and can't spell.

Then there's the ones that comment a price and nothing else.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Less obvious. Permitting someone to drive/ride your vehicle uninsured carries the same penalty as doing it yourself (and police will give an option of either charging them with taking without consent or charging both of you for riding without insurance). It would actually make sense to see their certificate of insurance first. Yes vanishingly unlikely they'd be caught but the consequences could be a 4-figure fine and 4-6 points.

Personally I let them ride it if I don't have a policy running, I'm more worried about the whole stack it into something and being liable thing. Realistically will their third party cover be valid if the vehicle doesn't have a policy (I know there are exceptions)? If a copper turns up they said they had insurance Smile

Never sold a vehicle with a policy running but in that situation I'd want to see their proof of insurance.

bluezedd wrote:
Then there's the ones that comment a price and nothing else.

I think that's the new(?) gumtree offer thing, and yes it's annoying. It's like having a best offer option on eBay. Personally I use Gumtree because free and when buying prices seem cheaper than eBay.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last car and bike I have sold on behalf of other people have both been sold through Gumtree. Its free to list and if you ignore the morons and scammers you can get a result.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that they told you they're insured doesn't get you off the hook.

On the eBay ad, photos not taken in the shade would be good. Wink

And the more detail you give in the description, the less questions you'll get hassled by.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:06 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who uses 'print media' these days? Sheesh.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN is not everyone's first port of call for buying.
Autotrader now seems to be awash with Dealers selling part-exes for silly money, which I think puts many people off now (considering the price).
I've had success with Gumtree before, but it does attract your fair share of scrotes and people who mess you around by not showing up.

FB might be a good shout, I enquired about a few bikes on there and everyone got back to me quickly.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

What does (genuine question)? Are you meant to take photo copies of their insurance certificate and driving license?

Baffler186 wrote:
I've had success with Gumtree before, but it does attract your fair share of scrotes and people who mess you around by not showing up.

You do get communication time wasters, that's why personally I don't hold the vehicle and the first person to put cash in my hand gets it. Remember Dave-G anyone? Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:09 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:

What does (genuine question)? Are you meant to take photo copies of their insurance certificate and driving license?

Pass.

The insurance certificate might not be valid if for instance the person has had direct debit payments fail. The insurance certificate could be home made with photoshop.

I'd guess / assume that it would come down to what's a reasonable expectation. If you've been shown an insurance certificate that's in date then that's reasonable enough, unless it's a lousy photoshop job or done with crayons then you can't be expected to know or even be able to check that's it's valid.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a Rogerborg sized hole opening up but: https://www.dieselcar.com/features/legal-i/permitting-use-of-a-motor-vehicle-without-insurance/

Does sound like whatever the scenario (except "you're going to get insurance mate") they'll try to f**k you over. I may have to adjust my test ride terms Thinking

Edit: I also thought what if you told the popo you had sold the vehicle to them, particularly if you have a hand full of reddies?

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold !

First time in 6 years I'm without a bike Crying or Very sad

Had the most interest from Gumtree.
A lot of views and watchers on eBay, but 1 message compared to 10 on Gumtree.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2