Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had motorcyclic problems with any petrol station but I actively avoid Shell because card cloning cuntz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been asked at a petrol station but get asked by the security guard whenever I go into a Sainsburys supermarket, Asda seem to be fine.

Pisses me off especially when I'm just nipping in for a lunch before work and my fingers are freezing. Been tempted to ignore them and see what the guard does. Sometimes I'll take it off then put it back on again just to fuck with him. It's mainly just because he gives me bad looks and is never particularly polite about it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:04 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The armed police at work don't shoot me in the head if I don't take my crash helmet off whilst negotiating the entrance.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
I have never had a request to remove my helmet. It is a flip-up one, and these are good for clocking a face

I think it's usually reckoned that 'request' applies to full-face lids only, for that reason. Certainly as a flipper-upper myself, I always ignore any 'helmets off' signs and have never been stopped

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 or so years ago there was the usual, short lived outrage, when fuel prices went up.
It was suggested, at the time, that the way to hit the petrol retailers in the pocket was to buy only fuel at petrol stations, no fags, sarnies, drinks, newspapers, sweets etc. as that was the only way they made any real money.
IIRC, it was claimed that if all customers bought only fuel for 2 weeks a significant number of petrol retailers would have to close!
That may or may not have been true, but considering that most petrol stations are now merely mini markets with a few petrol pumps tacked on, it would be no surprise if it was true!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

#bikelife

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll boycott anywhere that treats me like a second class citizen and/or decides I'm guilty until proven innocent, especially if, when challenged, they give me bullshit reasons.

My recent favourites were a couple of national chain mini supermarkets, where after some weeks of going in at the same time every night for ciggies, suddenly decided I had to take my helmet off.

When questioned, reasons included "It's company policy" (but only at this venue, others serve me no problem) and "It's the law, people can't have their faces covered" (Oh Rly, do you require, by law, niqabs/veils to be removed?)

There was also a petrol station, where the till monkey told me I should take my helmet off next time, but couldn't tell me why, if this was the policy, there were no signs telling me, or why he had served me this time, but not in future.

These are meaningless and hollow victories, but fark em, they won't be getting my business again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Can you even get a pint of milk from a petrol station for one pound? Razz

Most bikes won't run on skimmed so it would have to be semi-skimmed or whole milk.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
I've never been asked at a petrol station but get asked by the security guard whenever I go into a Sainsburys supermarket, Asda seem to be fine.

Pisses me off especially when I'm just nipping in for a lunch before work and my fingers are freezing. Been tempted to ignore them and see what the guard does. Sometimes I'll take it off then put it back on again just to fuck with him. It's mainly just because he gives me bad looks and is never particularly polite about it.

I sometimes wonder if 'we' create the problem Thinking

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local petrol station just has a sign on the door asking for the visor to be opened, but I normally use pay at pump for lack of queuing.

I came through Calais on the bike the other week with Mrs Bamt on the back. She handed over the passports to UK Border Control, I asked if he wanted me to take my lid off, he said I could leave mine on but asked Mrs Bamt to take hers off. Not a problem, we were both prepared to.

I pointed out to Mrs Bamt that this was because I had an honest face whilst she looked dodgy. It took a while for her to realise (with the border guy laughing) that I was wearing a flip up that was flipped up Smile

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
.... they try to sell you crap from the shop.
I still don't get why so many pay-at-pump things no longer work - my local garages have disabled them. Seems like it'd solve problem.

I've noticed a few pay at pumps disabled and then removed when the shop has been revamped with a new in and out barrier near the tills so you have to walk around the isles to get to the till.

They're forcing you into the shop, and then around the isles to pay for fuel. Like rats in a maze.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:01 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already do that. Do no use tesco ever.

Will not go to a shop or a petrol station that requires helmet off.

There are circumstances where it would be polite to, but when its freezing cold and you only want to grab something quick. It takes longer to take everything off/on than to shop. It is a royal pain.

So I just avoid places that have refused service because of the helmet. Fuck em'

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started using the Shell Fill & Go someone on here suggested, works a treat no need to interact with other beings at all

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just buy one of these Laughing

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4510/37240646341_101a74c3f4_b.jpg

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:11 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
30 years since my first bike. 3 weeks since my full license.

This suggestion seems to be made by every newb discovering or rediscovering the persuit.

Motorcycles, represent barely 1% of road transport, and consume around half the fuel to do the miles they do.

I REALLY don't think that very many oil companies would be particularly scared their financial predictions would be effected one jot, if ALL of us, stopped buying ANY petrol at all for our motorcycles!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:

I've got one of those.

However, I've never got round to putting it on in case it all goes tits up one day and I end up with more holes in me than a Brazilian running to catch a train.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
My understanding is that the till monkey is on the hook for any thefts.

Yes. And also no.

If there's evidence of neglect from the till monkey's point of view (namely the first question he will be asked by the boss is "did you see his plate?") then there may be a recovery procedure in place, but can't circumvent NMW. In essence, given the ultra low wages these kind of employees get, the 10p over NMW they're on even to recover just £10 from one bilking and the owners are on a real hiding to nothing.

Same goes for helmets: (not chapter and verse but when you report to the Police)

What skin colour was the assailant?
Erm, I dunno

Approximate age?
Erm, I dunno

What hair colour was the assailant?
Erm, I don't know.

Any distinguishing features?
Erm, I dunno.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:17 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Erm, I dunno

Approximate age?
Erm, I dunno

Erm, I don't know.

Erm, I dunno.

To be fair though that might not have anything to do with the assailant wearing a skid lid.... that sounds exactly like any of the hundreds of argumets I have had asking for a sack of spuds from the HUGE pallet of them right in-front of the till, or a pack of batteries of the shelf behind them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:37 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
10 or so years ago there was the usual, short lived outrage, when fuel prices went up.
It was suggested, at the time, that the way to hit the petrol retailers in the pocket was to buy only fuel at petrol stations, no fags, sarnies, drinks, newspapers, sweets etc. as that was the only way they made any real money.
IIRC, it was claimed that if all customers bought only fuel for 2 weeks a significant number of petrol retailers would have to close!
That may or may not have been true, but considering that most petrol stations are now merely mini markets with a few petrol pumps tacked on, it would be no surprise if it was true!

Why did the protesters think that petrol stations were responsible for the price rises?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
suburban myth wrote:
Erm, I dunno

Approximate age?
Erm, I dunno

Erm, I don't know.

Erm, I dunno.

that sounds exactly like any of the hundreds of argumets I have had asking for a sack of spuds from the HUGE pallet of them right in-front of the till, or a pack of batteries of the shelf behind them!

Well if I was working on a check-out and a customer asked me for the hair and skin colour of the potatoes I was flogging, I daresay they'd get a similar response from me.

Or maybe a bit ruder.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do in this situation I find is, go absolutely mental at the fucking audacity of the cunts even trying this shit on you. Spout things like, "You wouldn't fucking make a muslim take off their burka would you?" and then leave, without fueling up, on stubborn principle and go miles out of your way to the next one.

Works every time.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Is it time to start bycotting places?

Well I, for one, don't go back to any shops where they make life unecessarily difficult for me. Always have done. I'd have expected most other people to do so too?

It's called market forces.

Asda in Halifax for me, had my wallet stolen and they really couldn't give a shxt made no attempt to help nor even to allow me to leave details nor allow me to re enter as the store was shutting. Never been back never will. This must have been over a decade a go too.

As for petrol stations never ever have had a problem.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:34 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
suburban myth wrote:
Erm, I dunno

Approximate age?
Erm, I dunno

Erm, I don't know.

Erm, I dunno.

To be fair though that might not have anything to do with the assailant wearing a skid lid.... that sounds exactly like any of the hundreds of argumets I have had asking for a sack of spuds from the HUGE pallet of them right in-front of the till, or a pack of batteries of the shelf behind them!

Am I missing something? Because I really can't see, or understand your point.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:08 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
The best thing to do in this situation I find is, go absolutely mental at the fucking audacity of the cunts even trying this shit on you. Spout things like, "You wouldn't fucking make a muslim take off their burka would you?" and then leave, without fueling up, on stubborn principle and go miles out of your way to the next one.

Works every time.

Huh, well this morning I encountered for the first time a "guess how much fuel you're going to need" pre-pay pump, and offs were sodded.

I really showed them though: I put my gloves back on very slowly and then gave a distinct sad head shake. One for their best-of-CCTV clip reel.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:03 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use a station where they want payment in advance, nor one that won't let me fill while sitting on the bike. Don't mind taking my helmet off if I'm going to the counter, but will leave it on if it's a pay at the pump machine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3