Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My current findings on ignition coils

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:26 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: My current findings on ignition coils Reply with quote

This is information for people that actually work on their own bikes. If you own a bike but have never touched a spanner in your life then shame on you, and go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. And if you're one of those pathetic oiks that religiously only uses OEM stuff then go sit in the corner there with Dumb-ass until I tell you otherwise.

Long ago I discovered that a big old oil filled car coil like a Lucas or Bosch was the best coil for my bikes with points ignition. I tried all kinds of "motorcycle" coils and nothing came close so that's what I used.

All my other bikes with electronic ignition generally kept whatever coils were on them if they didn't fail, and if they did fail they usually got car coils adapted onto them. I have never had one of those big old oil filled car coils go bad, ever.

https://s26.postimg.org/yl8kjyf2h/lucas_coil.jpg

Lately I've been experimenting with some different coils on the electronic ignition engine I've got now which uses a dedicated coil or two off the alternator to run the CDI box in AC mode as I've currently got it wired.

Although it's early days I seem to find that running two separate coils in series works best. They don't get hot and the alternator windings don't seem stressed at all.

I've found these older types for points ignition are pretty good even on electronic ignition but are a bit big and hard to put away somewhere. They also make twin lead versions which I haven't used yet but don't see any reason why they shouldn't work just as well and I may even end up going with the twin lead version for my current engine:

https://s26.postimg.org/xn1usixft/coil.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/ky7k8urbd/twin_coil.jpg

These type of coils are generically readily available and widely used but I find them a bit expensive and not really a great spark usually. Also the leads are permanently built in so you can't change them, which is a big let down for me. The twin lead Yamaha Banshee 350 coil I have which looks identical to this was the weakest spark of the lot:

https://s26.postimg.org/ctzg444w9/yam.jpg

A pair of actual Honda coils like this (although I suspect they're Chinese made regardless of what Honda says) perform pretty good and are identical in every way to much cheaper Chinese coils. Unfortunately the leads are fixed and I don't like that. I like to have the option of replacing the leads.

https://s26.postimg.org/e03g2wt6x/honda_coil.jpg

These type of generic coils are found on a lot of things and they are also pretty good. The leads can be unscrewed:

https://s26.postimg.org/wuz6tbt8p/other_honda_coil.jpg

But at the moment the best spark I'm getting apart from the old car coils is from a pair of Chinese GY6 coils for small bikes, and they cost about £6 each. You can unscrew the leads from them and replace or modify as you wish. They are tiny little things, easy to fit away somewhere and readily available:

https://s26.postimg.org/jxbwxgzpl/GY6.jpg

This is not a long term test (yet) but I see no reason why the cheap and cheerful Chinese coils won't work perfectly fine for as long as the extortionately expensive OEM ones do. Personally I've had absolutely no trouble whatsoever using Chinese electronics for things like power amps and they far outperform more expensive amps from other suppliers. I rather suspect most electronics are of Chinese origin these days anyway regardless of whose name they put on the label.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/7gFzflS.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:22 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. He's not autistic. He's drunk.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teffers trainee?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boring shit thread. You missed out coilsticks. No leads to fuck about with, works well on a 125 with minor fuckery of adding a connector. Expensive to buy new but they last forever.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:04 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Another boring shit thread. You missed out coilsticks. No leads to fuck about with, works well on a 125 with minor fuckery of adding a connector. Expensive to buy new but they last forever.

Is that like coil packs ?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: My current findings on ignition coils Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:

I discovered that a car coil like a Lucas or Bosch was the best coil for my bikes with points ignition. I tried all kinds of "motorcycle" coils and nothing came close so that's what I used.
bel.

In the dark days of the past when I had zero monies, I often used a Lucas coil on my bikes as a replacement because that was all I had lying around.
I can confirm that a Suzuki ts250(early model) , CZ 125, and various Suzuki gt 250s will run using a Lucas coil.
It is one of those bits of information that I keep in the back of my mind just in case I'm stuck.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Lucas gives a good spark, a PVL will give a better one and is smaller.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
a PVL will give a better one and is smaller.

Picture/link please Thumbs Up

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see- giving actual information about things that somebody might be interested in under the heading of "workshop" is unacceptable on a motorcycle forum. OK then, fuck you. Have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Oh I see- giving actual information about things that somebody might be interested in under the heading of "workshop" is unacceptable on a motorcycle forum. OK then, fuck you. Have fun.

Not all of us.
We're all into bikes, there is only so much we can talk about.
Also we're all into bikes from different angles.
You carry on putting up information Thumbs Up

If you think people got arsey about coils, try posting something about diesel powered bikes Shocked Shocked Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
lingeringstink wrote:

Not all of us.
We're all into bikes, there is only so much we can talk about.
Also we're all into bikes from different angles.
You carry on putting up information Thumbs Up

If you think people got arsey about coils, try posting something about diesel powered bikes Shocked Shocked Laughing

Goldwing trikes get a bit of abuse as well Embarassed

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Is that like coil packs ?

The coil fits directly on top of the plug. No HT leads.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

So what sort of coil works best on a diesel bike?

And shouldn't this thread be about voltage findings, not current findings?

I can't believe I've just read a thread where someone extols the virtues of Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrics.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

So what sort of coil works best on a diesel bike.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:19 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op needs coilpal Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:12 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Picture/link please Thumbs Up

It's basically a German made direct replacement for a Lucas coil. Got one on my Bullet.

https://www.britishbikebits.com/12v-pvl-ignition-coil-bsa-triumph-norton#.WclG1XWGPRY

https://www.britishbikebits.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/1/p1040520.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1