Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do cut off switches work ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:44 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: How do cut off switches work ? Reply with quote

How does a side stand cut off switch work, does it just bridge them two wires or does it send some sort of signal to the cdi ?

from what i've seen you should just be able to cut the switch off and connect the wires.

now if the bike is running (started by other means, bump, wire straight to the starter) and said wires are then disconnected should the bike cut out ??

I have another thread below this where i'm having issues with my bike but would actually like to understand certain components to help diagnose the issue.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be 'make' or 'break' nothing more fancy though. Use a continuity tester to find out which.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:17 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair i didn't think it would have been any more fancy, seems to be a fault with it if the bike is running and i disconnect the wires the bike doesn't cut out.? it should eh?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.. sorry, but I have to comment on the incongruity.. on post in reply to Snod Blatter about using a remote-start enabled alarm in substitute for a Key & Barrel ignition switch, you suggest using an extremely complicated hobby-board solution involving a wi-fi enabled strawberry waffle!!! YET are baffled by a simple side-stand cut-out switch?!?

Could it be you are you some-what over thinking problems a little?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i did say i know next to nothing about electrics, i'm a programmer, i've also done a bit around the house in regards to home automation with relays, bypassing everything on the bike would be easy. I'm not baffled by the switch as such, it's where the fault seems to lie.

just trying to understand if there was anything more to it as it doesn't seem to operate in a way i would expect, i.e bypass the switch, join the wires, start the bike(bump), disconnecting the wires whilst the bike is running, even reconnecting them the bike does nothing. i would expect it to cut out. which makes me think there's an issue further up in the loom. if you know the expected behaviour feel free to chip back in dude

The switch could potentially work in other ways which are pretty common, like i mentioned in a post, send a signal to the cdi in which that holds a binary value as to whether the switch is on or off and that sends the signal once the start button is pushed. That's theoretically a way in which it can be done. I don't know much about bikes hence the reason i'm trying to understand their setup.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:25 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are usually three switches in a safety cut-out system.
Stand, Clutch and Neutral.

The engine will run in any one of these three conditions: Stand up, Neutral engaged, Clutch in.

As soon as you engage a gear and try to let the clutch out, with the stand down, it'll cut the spark.

Is a very simple logic circuit, done entirely electrically.

In the most common case, there is a circuit on the CDI that needs to be earthed in order to allow the bike to run. It can earth either through the sidestand switch in the UP position, the neutral switch in the on position or the clutch switch in the pulled in position.

These switches are also involved in the starter motor lockout on most bikes.

As I hope you've gathered. the sidestand switch is usually open when down and closed when up.

Messing with that switch and the wires connected to it will do nothing if you're in neutral.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sodding bike?
Why? cos a quick shufty at a wiring diagram would tell you/us
what safety circuits are on it and how they are configured.
Some interact with the ignition system to stop/allow sparks, others with the starter circuit which disable the starter until certain conditions are met.
ie variations of neutral, clutch in, stand up etc.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more recent bikes have magnetically operated reed switches on the side stand rather than a microswitch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1