Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG 125 help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jonnyberry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Honda CG 125 help Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls

Thanks for taking s look at my post so

I recently purchased a CG125-w (98-00 model) was running and riding fine but I didn't realise it had no oil in ( bloke didn't refill after strip down) so filled her up with oil and she was smoking like crazy so I assumed piston rings had blown. I brought a whole new cylinder, piston head and rings and valve stem seal and went ahead with the top end rebuild all simple enough and followed my haynes manual to a T happy days, but was to good to be true she still burns oil like a mad man and u mean crazy amount (1 litre in 200 miles) also she is bogging badly on low revs to the point I have to tap the clutch to bring the revs up before she moves

What could be causing this any ideas I've tried everything I can think oc

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you overfilling with oil. always check oil before riding, using the following method. run engine for two minutes, and then stop engine. allow to stand for a couple of minutes before checking.Remove dip stick and wipe clean. replace dipstick in hole, but do not screw it in, just allow to to sit on top of hole. Withdraw it and check level.

Jonnyberry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was filled with oil correctly starting to thing the valve stem seal have died out

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:02 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG's take very little oil, less than 1/2 litre from dry.
If the P/O had rebuilt the motor, and put absolutely NO oil in it..
First question is why the heck didn't you check level when you bought or first ride! Its a CBT lesson on pre-ride checks ffs!
Second, I would not expect a bike with absolutely no oil in the sump to get very far at all... I'd actually expect it to sieze up shortly after start up! Though CG's can be pretty tolerat, I wouldn't expect ne to be THAT tolerant!
So...... Valve stem seals.... I believe that the CG only has one..I think its on the inlet valve stem.. they do tend to go hard with age, but if the thing is smoking as heavy as my 60 a day old Gran...... I'd suspect something a little more dire... like rings....
The Chinky barrel kits tend to be pretty good... it their putting the piece parts together that's a tad more questionable....
That 'aught' to eliminate bore or ring wear.... but? Did you snag a ring on fit? Did you get the oil-control rings in a tangle? Was it a three piece scraper or a single cast one?
Possibilities contnue with poss build errors, and, if the barel kit checked out and assembly not suspect, then head as re-used item probably is.... valve stem seal is probably not top of the list, severely worn guides though are... ad I believe that they are actually a service replaceable part on the CG, thogh a new Chinky head may be cheaper all in.
Is /was the head cracked at all? I believe that they can go aroud the exhaust port oss, and are likely to if a exhaust stus has shered at some pount.
More likely would be that the head's warped; a leaky gasket an let a lot of oil through whilst keepng compression in the pot so the engine still runs.. excess pressure coming back will also pressurise crank-case trying to push oil past rings, so double wammy.

BUT over fill is still top of the list; and any excess blown out by crank-case compression should be vented to the air-box.....where it will be sucked through carb into the pot t get burned...

What's betting that your original lack of oil was from worn rings, letting 'bang' in pot past rings to put pressure in the crank case and push oil into the air-box....

You replace half the engine.. refit carb, connect up airbox and oil that was blown into the air-box before motor build is still there being sucked in now, to make smoke when engine run, and give same symptom........

That would be my first quick and easy check.... go remove air filter and clean airbox and plumbing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonnyberry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:22 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was filled with oil correctly starting to thing the valve stem seal have died out

Jonnyberry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:30 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the piston rings aren't fitted upside-down.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
Are you overfilling with oil. always check oil before riding, using the following method. run engine for two minutes, and then stop engine. allow to stand for a couple of minutes before checking.Remove dip stick and wipe clean. replace dipstick in hole, but do not screw it in, just allow to to sit on top of hole. Withdraw it and check level.

Always check oil before riding. Really?

If I check mine once a month I'd be surprised.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

mine took 1 litre.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

mine took 1 litre.

Same for my Turkish 98 model, or just under 1 litre, but that was probably because the engine was never truly "dry" before I plonked more oil in.
Maybe this is another "five quarter turns" situation again. Thinking

You seem to be no good at numbers, Teffers.
Use your words ...you sure have plenty of them, even some that aren't in the dictionary on occasion.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1