Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:39 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
I give that to May she finally has managed to unite 100% of the nation all remainers and all leavers including Farage behind one logical conclusion: the UK has a complete and utter cockwomble as PM.

Do we agree on something? Shocked

Heh, do you agree with Sir Nigel?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Val wrote:
I give that to May she finally has managed to unite 100% of the nation all remainers and all leavers including Farage behind one logical conclusion: the UK has a complete and utter cockwomble as PM.

Do we agree on something? Shocked

Heh, do you agree with Sir Nigel?

Absolutely agree in that case. Fact Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
You need to stop listening to debunked lies about the Norway option and get on board with it

You misunderstand me, it's nothing to do with my personal preferences. Brexit people won't like it because we still contribute to the EU, still adopt EU legislation and have to ascribe to the "4 freedoms", Remain people won't like it because while it means being mostly in the EU, while losing stuff like the rebate and a central role in legislation.

Nobody really wants a Norway style deal, though I suspect remainers would be slightly less pissed off (probably marginal though)

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:55 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The UK has already offered full rights to residents but a petulant EU demands to oversee the legality of it.

The UK has offered EU nationals the chance to apply for "settled status" if you have been living in the UK for over 5 years, that "settled status" according to them, grants the same rights as British citizens enjoy.

Problem being that your application can be denied, and because "settled status" does not exist except in their imagination, it is easy to see that it will be used as a bargain chip for later negotiations.

Even worst, any EU national that applied and got a permanent resident permit after five years, needs to apply again to the new "settled status". So we are still very far from the UK offering full rights to EU citizens.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:26 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
So we are still very far from the UK offering full rights to EU citizens.

Why would we? Keep the contributors, sweep out the trash.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:45 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Yes, more or less. It may surprise you that the people at YouGov are fairly adept at statistics and number management. The respondents are selected to attempt to give a decent cross section, the responses weighted and the sample size is sufficient to give an answer with ~2.5% margin of error.

There is more to a good/representative sample than just size.

Laughing

They're terrible at statistics and number management.

The respondents are screened with some questions so that yougov only get responses from people they're interested in. The only problem with that is the respondents know how to answer the questions, they know what answers result in them getting paid and they know which answers result in them being screened out.

It really is a con and as someone who provides answers for those surveys I know full well how little value should be placed on whatever result they come up with. When filling out surveys, the correct answer is the one you'll get paid for giving. People who don't catch onto that will get bored of being screened out of the surveys and will give up responding to them whilst the people who get the hang of giving the profitable answers will continue getting paid for telling yougov whatever it is they want to hear.

Trust me on this one, as someone who gets paid for answering those surveys, the results are completely meaningless. Wink

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:07 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

And on what basis do you say this? The fact that you think 1650 adults is necessarily non-representative along with your other claims about how sampling works doesn't incline me to take your word over theirs.

ste wrote:
The respondents are screened with some questions so that yougov only get responses from people they're interested in. The only problem with that is the respondents know how to answer the questions, they know what answers result in them getting paid and they know which answers result in them being screened out.

It really is a con and as someone who provides answers for those surveys I know full well how little value should be placed on whatever result they come up with. When filling out surveys, the correct answer is the one you'll get paid for giving. People who don't catch onto that will get bored of being screened out of the surveys and will give up responding to them whilst the people who get the hang of giving the profitable answers will continue getting paid for telling yougov whatever it is they want to hear.

Trust me on this one, as someone who gets paid for answering those surveys, the results are completely meaningless. Wink

Ahh, so your anecdote about how you fill in useless answers to these surveys means that all the other respondents must be equally useless? Is that your contention? By your response you don't seem to understand how sampling works. To be sampled in the first place for the survey you have to be part of the various demographics they are looking for, in proportion to the percentage of the population they comprise. It's getting to be sampled that results in rewards, not the answers given, not withstanding your post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning about the "right" answers to get rewards.

You have clearly figured out or already are part of a demographic they want, hence why you get repeatedly surveyed. That your answers are worthless is not in question, but you have given no good reason to doubt the sampling, weighting or data in any other respect.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:12 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It was conducted by Blairs think tank on a Monday and Tuesday, when most of societies contributors were at work.

You're seeing the viewpoint of the cast of Jeremy Kyle.

HTH.

So you have no idea about how statistical sampling, weighting or demographics work? Fair enough.

Also why do you keep calling it Blair's thinktank? It was founded by a conservative and a guy who stood as a conservative. Rolling Eyes Must be why the Lefties love them so much, eh?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 04:30 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Ste wrote:

And on what basis do you say this? The fact that you think 1650 adults is necessarily non-representative along with your other claims about how sampling works doesn't incline me to take your word over theirs.

I dislike their stats because I know how they come up with them.

I question whether surveying 1,650 people when the total electorate is 46,501,241 would give results that have any type of meaning. That's 0.0035482923993362% which in my opinion is a pretty small sample size.

Falco wrote:
Ahh, so your anecdote about how you fill in useless answers to these surveys means that all the other respondents must be equally useless?

If people answer the surveys honestly and as a result keep getting screened out then they're either going to give up since they're not getting paid to complete the surveys or they're going to start adjusting their answers in an attempt to give the answers that survey is wanting. yougov surveys want controversy and uncertainty.

Falco wrote:
To be sampled in the first place for the survey you have to be part of the various demographics they are looking for, in proportion to the percentage of the population they comprise. It's getting to be sampled that results in rewards, not the answers given, not withstanding your post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning about the "right" answers to get rewards.

Errrmmmm, to be sampled for the the survey you first have to answer a load of screening questions which are about whatever the topic of the survey is. If you don't give the right answers for those questions then you get screened out, don't get to complete the survey and don't get rewarded.

Falco wrote:
You have clearly figured out or already are part of a demographic they want, hence why you get repeatedly surveyed.

I get repeatedly surveyed because I'm a member of some survey sites. Wink

Falco wrote:
you have given no good reason to doubt the sampling, weighting or data in any other respect.

That's a matter of opinion. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
So you have no idea about how statistical sampling, weighting or demographics work? Fair enough.

I have a fair idea.

I know that the British Social Attitudes survey do it right, by selecting a representative group of people and then doggedly and persistently seeking their opinions, and only their opinions, even when they're reluctant to give them.

Most pollsters do it the lazy way by randomly soliciting responses and then stopping after finding ~1000 people who are available and willing to demand more free stuff.

However, I had no idea that YouGov had gone beyond that to actively choosing the result based on pre-screening respondent to ensure that they provide the correct - i.e. the marketable - answer.

I can see why a Tory would come up with that methodology - trolling is profitable.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Neither do Yougov. They got the GE 2015 wrong, oh and predicted a Remain win.

I wonder how that happened. Whistle

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months of negotiations out of 24 and the UK is already calling for two years of extra time for the paltry sum of around 20 billion.

Barnier: Without “significant progress” on that and other elements of a planned treaty to ease Britain’s passage out of the Union in March 2019, Barnier said, EU leaders will refuse to open any talks on a free trade and cooperation deal, let alone on the two-year transition to it that May requested.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson is doing what he does best, lying.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
As many have said, May is stalling and has no real appetite for the Brexit I voted for.

I don't agree, I think it's the EU which is being intransigent. It sounds like it has strayed so far from its original premise that it's not even interested in talking about trade. Better out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:34 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
As many have said, May is stalling and has no real appetite for the Brexit I voted for.

I don't agree, I think it's the EU which is being intransigent.

Column A, column B.

May's strategy seem to be to make such a hash of it that we will kick the can down the road indefinitely.

I'll change my mind on that when I see any sign of us actually preparing for a no-deal.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'll change my mind on that when I see any sign of us actually preparing for a no-deal.

Funny you've said that, cause ze Germans are preparing for a no-deal:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany/prepare-now-for-over-the-cliff-brexit-germany-industry-says-idUKKBN1CA17O

Somebody has mentioned the german industry "forcing" the EU to make a deal right?

Well that ship has sailed Laughing

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:15 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"May will tell lawmakers on Monday that she was offering Europe a “new, deep and special partnership” with Britain, her office said.

The next move would have to be taken by the other EU member states, but she expects them to accept her offer: “The ball is in their court. But I am optimistic we will receive a positive response.”

No sure if that is a new offer for the next round of negotiations or is referring to her speech last month. If it is the later the new round of negotiations is going to be very very short.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will happen? Everyone will become fabulous https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HJXVP8G/

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was the speech from last month:

Quote:
"But even before she had delivered her address, an EU spokesman hit back in Brussels, saying “the ball is entirely in the UK court for the rest to happen”.

4 Months of negotiation and they really messed Brexit up. This is from Reuters and gives a good approximation of how badly they are doing:

Quote:
“She is in a difficult situation, if she goes out there and there is nothing tangible on our side,” a senior EU official said, saying governments wanted to keep up momentum for a deal that would avoid legal chaos across Europe. “We’ll try to be neutral, maybe even offer an encouraging line to stay engaged.”

Condescending very much, that is how much the UK government is being outplayed in the negotiations, better to get new people and start anew before they start giving up on the reasons people voted for Brexit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:18 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books - many books - will be written about the hash that Appeaser Theresa is making of Brexit. Or the success of Remoan, depending on how you view her goals.

On the face of it, and based on the leaked Disaster Dinner, it seems that she thought she could just get Drunkers liquored up, have a laugh about how they were going to fleece the electorate with an in-name-only-Brexit, and that would be that.

What she has failed to take into account is that the EU mandarins are zealots who cannot stomach anything other than humiliation and penury for Britain daring to (pretend to) leave the Fourth Reich. This isn't a negotiation, it's a public beating.

What she should have done (if Brexit and a good deal were her goal) was to just steam ahead with preparations for a No Deal exit, then wait for Jeanny Brusselscrat to come begging for a deal on our terms.

But as an ex banker (urgh), May has no idea of the value of money, or of human nature. I doubt that she's even haggled over the price of a car, let alone the future of a nation state.

She must go. Only Hammond would be worse. Even Rudd would just be more of the same, with at least some chance to do better.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 59 of 523