Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV650s Rear Shock.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: SV650s Rear Shock. Reply with quote

So, my rear shock on the SV is a goner, leaning oil etc. Been gone for a while, so finally dead dead.

While I am very much enjoying the process of learning, just wondering the difficultly level of replacing this myself would be?

In terms of buying a new / used one, anything to bare in mind?

Stupid question: I was told I will also need a new bush? Not sure what this means. Bush?

TYIA Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: The goal of this is to fix it ready for sale, so looking to do a decent, but cheaper job. I have been quoted an hour and a half's labour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Note: The goal of this is to fix it ready for sale, so looking to do a decent, but cheaper job. I have been quoted an hour and a half's labour.

For a decent mechanic with a bike lift I'd say that's about an hour too much. Chance are though that all your linkage bearings are shot too.
Sell as is - leave the pain to the next guy. Be honest if you like.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:24 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a center/Abba stand it would be hard to make the job last an hour.

I reckon I could do it in 30 mins easy.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of 2nd gen SV shocks for peanuts on ebay.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

Any red flags or signs of fault i should look out for? Also, the "bush," are these to be bought new?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

Any red flags or signs of fault i should look out for? Also, the "bush," are these to be bought new?

They'll pretty much all be fucked the stock rear shock is only good for about 15k before it just becomes a space filler.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:53 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to check for compatibility - but on earlier models it was common to swap for a GSXR shock, for better adjustability.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:06 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You'll have to check for compatibility - but on earlier models it was common to swap for a GSXR shock, for better adjustability.

On a second gen SV, you've got to cut up part of the undertray to fit a GSXR shock. I've done it. It's a spectacular upgrade, but there is a certain degree of twattery involved in getting the fucker to fit.

Jardine
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced mine in my back room with a bottle jack and it took a few hours, all though mine is a curvy, i can imagine it isn't much different, if you look on the sv forums there are certain shocks from other bikes that just bolt straight in.

I just replaced mine with a second hand standard shock from ebay, i wouldn't pay too much if your just going to sell it, ill probably end up changing mine every year or so unless i loose some weight Laughing

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help you if you sell it to me cheap. Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I'll help you if you sell it to me cheap. Laughing

Ha, name your price, completely rebuilt engine less than 1000 miles ago.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:55 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage fella said you need a new bushing? I didt think there were any bushings in the assembly, you have the bearings inside the knuckle below the shock if thats what he meant? He might have meant in the top of the shock, not sure.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/main/img/assemblies/large/09566332fc0419f5bb9fad1a2652600c.png

But yeah, least rusty, lowest milage same one you can find on ebay for the least £ for sure. No point in upgrading it if you are selling it on.

I would soak the top and especially the bottom shock bolt with some plusgas/pen fluid the day before too, can be a bastard to break free.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
The garage fella said you need a new bushing? I didt think there were any bushings in the assembly, you have the bearings inside the knuckle below the shock if thats what he meant? He might have meant in the top of the shock, not sure.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/main/img/assemblies/large/09566332fc0419f5bb9fad1a2652600c.png

But yeah, least rusty, lowest milage same one you can find on ebay for the least £ for sure. No point in upgrading it if you are selling it on.

I would soak the top and especially the bottom shock bolt with some plusgas/pen fluid the day before too, can be a bastard to break free.

Thank you mate, Im going to give him a call tomorrow! May be worth me doing this myself.
JMmichaelson1 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMmichaelson1 wrote:
Hmm... My bike has had way over 15k since I bought and shock looks decent never been changed...

When these "go" what actually happens? Some kind of seal breaks and the oil comes out?

Not on an SV, but usually oil drips out, and the rear end pogos up and down without much resistance.

You'll notice oil dripping on the ground under your bike, and your headlight will look like it's flashing people (easy to see on roadsigns etc)

If you're selling the SV, I would definitely fix it with the cheapest good stock shock on ebay. Also worthwhile asking on the owners forum and see if any are going, as someone may have upgraded and not bothered to do anything with it.

Should be pretty easy to fit.

This guy shows you what you're doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzT6wOS_MK4

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
G wrote:

On a second gen SV, you've got to cut up part of the undertray to fit a GSXR shock. I've done it. It's a spectacular upgrade, but there is a certain degree of twattery involved in getting the fucker to fit.

Did I not help you with that job?

I seem to remember a bit of sodding around with bolts or spacers, the standard SV parts being the wrong size.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:23 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMmichaelson1 wrote:
When these "go" what actually happens? Some kind of seal breaks and the oil comes out?

It just becomes less and less effective. Quite noticeable when I went from my old SV (66K miles on the original shock) to my current one (around 6K miles from new now). The top bushing is part of the shock itself, the bottom "bush" if you could call it that is the spacer that runs in needle bearing in the linkage.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/LnIkzkCrTkys2trx_LP3qw.png

I second the suggestion of a used original shock, anything from 2003 (K3 model year) up to the last L2 would be compatible.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:56 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mate, Im going to give him a call tomorrow! May be worth me doing this myself.
and I bet you it will take you more than 2 hours to do the job

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:01 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a workshop manual? There's a downloadable PDF floating around, let me know if you need help tracking it down.

Jardine
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMmichaelson1 wrote:
Hmm... My bike has had way over 15k since I bought and shock looks decent never been changed...

For me it was how soft the suspension was all of a sudden, i was going around bends and the bike was bouncing up and down, ended up replacing the shock then going to get a new rear tyres because on side was bald from all the bouncing around it was doing through corners

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced a working mk1 sv650sy shock with a mk2 Hayabusa shock.

However 1. I'm a fat git. and 2. I had t cut away the battery holder.

However, I still have a mk1 curvy sv650sy shock (no idea if its fits the mk2).

It's yours if you think it would work?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:49 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
I replaced a working mk1 sv650sy shock with a mk2 Hayabusa shock.

However 1. I'm a fat git. and 2. I had t cut away the battery holder.

However, I still have a mk1 curvy sv650sy shock (no idea if its fits the mk2).

It's yours if you think it would work?

Thank you pal.

Its all fixed ad sorted now. Thank you anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1