BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YR5 Upgrade project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rear sets really do look the business, very nicely made and I guess they'll be one of the bikes biggest improvements for track use too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Those rear sets really do look the business, very nicely made and I guess they'll be one of the bikes biggest improvements for track use too?

The standard footrest bar is an issue as is the standard exhaust routing. I could grind them to atoms on track (or bin it) and I had to cultivate a riding style that avoided it. The worry now is that tyres will become an issue. Must work on hanging off more!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update (important but not photo worthy). Spent today build a new sub loom for the Zeeltronic, tedious but strangely rewarding.

Bottom line is that having spent all day fannying around, i have been rewarded with a bloody spark! Fair play to Zeel, the bespoke wiring diagram they sent me I followed exactly and it works. Now to finish the rest of the wiring off (mainly clock related stuff) and suddenly attempting to fire it up doesn't seem so far away.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to see the loom for the ignition you built if you have pics? Oh and is your Zeeltronic an AC or DC system? If DC can I ask where you took the power supply from for it?

I've not wired in my Ignitec yet, but I did pop the programming disc into my laptop for a looksie, and it does seem fairly easy to work with and change the ignition values. I won't be messing with it myself though, the dyno guy can do all that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Would like to see the loom for the ignition you built if you have pics? Oh and is your Zeeltronic an AC or DC system? If DC can I ask where you took the power supply from for it?

I've not wired in my Ignitec yet, but I did pop the programming disc into my laptop for a looksie, and it does seem fairly easy to work with and change the ignition values. I won't be messing with it myself though, the dyno guy can do all that.

I didn't take any pics cause rushing to get done but I can do if you want to see.

The Zeel I am using is a DC CDI, I had a few spare switched +12v feeds after binning the old coils so I simply hooked into one of those where the loom got close enough. Also mean the key still stops the bike as Yamaha intended.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major update - she lives!!!!

I've been burning the midnight oil finishing the wiring loom and trying to fit it all the non standard stuff inside the headlight, nearly done apart from wiring in the halogen conversion and sorting the front indicators (need some longer studs).

Decieded to take a sabbatical from fannying around with wiring to do something more fun. After the epiphany of having a spark I've been itching to run it, and knowing that it was a set of carbs and and a throttle cable away from running I took the plunge. The racing Mikunis do differ in a few ways compared to the OEM type apart from the fact they are all left hand. The fuel inlets are bigger (8mm), the cable adjusters are different (stole the ones off the old carbs) and there is a diffuser of some sort under the main jet rather than the usual flat washer. Anyway - rigged up an auxilary tank with a litre of 30:1, said a few prayers and went for it. Ran third kick.
https://youtu.be/SY4qEX3YaN8

Lots of setup work to do, was very lean at bottom end and only behaved when i wound the air screws right in, and response is there but not ultra crisp. Need to sort baseline timing and a basic curve then think about some dyno time.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Cool sounds good to me*

i know eff all about 2ts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news! Thumbs Up

Glad the wiring wasn't too much of a world of pain either.

I noticed that my 30mm Mikuni carb replacement also has an 8mm fuel hose connection, not the 6mm of the VM series original carb. This was only after thinking I'll just pinch a bit of the new fuel hose I ordered with my carb to replace the perished cheap looking hose I have on the stock carb.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well looks like Photobucket have halal'd my pics.

That's all for now folks, cba putting them elsewhere and recoding all the links.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

noo Sad

i was enjoying this thread

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
noo Sad

i was enjoying this thread

I second this. Karma

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit weird - on first page of thread some images still showing, others not. Are some Botophucket and some not?

Bit concerned cos I've got a few up there as well - some are on my BCF profile page, and they're still showing. Confused

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently at the stage of baseline jetting sorted, initial ignition curve set up and should be at the point of getting an MOT so I can get a few miles on the bores before it goes on the dyno.

Except I'm not.

The rebuilt front wheel has had to back to the wheel builder because the rim is 5mm off centre.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

casually waiting for updates unless baseline jetting went well and dan is buried in the side of a barn then i call that a winner

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still alive. Bike is MOT'd and i've done about 130 miles on it.

https://i.imgur.com/NbHw0c7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gKS6XGC.jpg

Jetting is miles out but i've got dyno time booked on the 2nd of September which will be more productive then me and a box of jets can ever be.

Not too many teething problems, even rode it to work one day last week.

https://i.imgur.com/OjuA2rI.jpg

Tacho is complete bullshit, i'll have a play getting an RGV one to work over winter, not life or death as I has shift light anyway.

It'll snap lift in second even with the mixture miles out so i'm hoping once set up it's going to be a bit mental.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the win!

those spannies though <3

gonna be moar trackday videos?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
all of the win!

those spannies though <3

gonna be moar trackday videos?

It MIGHT make Cadwell on 22nd of September subject to setup and how it behaves afterwards. If it does there will be footage.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

shall be looking forward to it

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyno on Saturday but a few things to report.

I've junked the Y-boot and sponge velocity stack in favour of a pair of sponge pods.

https://i.imgur.com/7mxdGot.jpg

I didn't like the look of the rubber on the Y-boot and on removal my fears were realised, the rubber is blistering and cracking. I'm on the hunt for a useable OEM one but the pods should suffice for now.

However i went for a spin tonight and noticed some strange mechanical scraping sounds, eventually traced to the sidestand touching down. Now to do this on the current set up would take serious roundabout surfing or fast corners on track. Unless of course the sidestand bracket was pulling out of the frame so making the sidestand hang low when retracted.

Fuck

https://i.imgur.com/w3zwj8p.jpg

How, why and wherefore I can't answer, and I've not a clue how to approach repair yet. Taken the stand off for now so as not to put anymore stress on the frame.

Really pissed off in all honesty but now shit gets serious and we start chasing BHP. I'd LIKE 60 bhp but we shall see.... knowing my luck it'll blow up on the dyno or refuse to start.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! That looks nasty to repair. It looks like there must have been some corrosion on the inside of tubing where the powder coating doesn't get to.

Inside the headstock of my KMX frame I've got a bit of surface powdery corrosion, I've sprayed some anti corrosion spray in the area for now. Its one reason why I'm not that made up with powder coating bike frames etc.

Compared to dipping and zinc coating like you would do with a car body, as you know all cavities would be coated and not left bare metal inside. Next time I have a frame or swinging arm powder coated I'll probably inject a load of cavity wax into all the tubes I think.

Anyway good luck with the dyno day, I can share the aprehensive feeling of all the that could go wrong, but it's normal to be over worried I guess.

It'd be cool if you get a chance to video any of the runs, and also be interested to see any fueling plots, and how they tune using air/fuel monitoring, and or if they monitor cylinder head Temps or EGT monitoring. There's so much stuff written about the right and wrong way to tune two strokes, I've read all sorts of conflicting and different theory.

When my time comes, I'll just leave it to my dyno place to sort and this time I want to film a few runs, as I was too nervous to hold a camera still last time. Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it on the dyno.

https://i.imgur.com/bwQhkqL.jpg

I didn't get to film any runs as I was busy helping out and watching graphs!

Basically 31 runs gave the following

https://i.imgur.com/8nRHx4B.jpg

From 39 bhp with my baseline setting to 51 bhp via two main jet swops, one pilot jet swop and lots of fiddling with the ignition curve.

The first map we worked on gives about 4 bhp less but more overrev.

I've just been out to road test the old dog and can report it's pretty quick, and in bykelyfe parlance "loves da bak wheel". Now to ride it around and get the hang of it, make sure it's ok then make the call of taking it to Cadwell later this month, or not.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool update and then some!

You've got to be pretty chuffed with that power and torque from a 350cc air cooled twin! Thumbs Up
It also has a very nice curve, with usable power and a nice rounded peak with a bit either side for flexibility.

I bet it feels pretty alive and eager/snappy on the road, as it's a fairly light bike, and putting out some decent torque.

Oh and who'd have thought it, that there's 12bhp to be had in a set up, just goes to show how useful and important dyno work is with a modified bike.

There's no way the average bloke in the street playing with needles and jets and plug chops would have found all that potential IMO.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Cool update and then some!

You've got to be pretty chuffed with that power and torque from a 350cc air cooled twin! Thumbs Up
It also has a very nice curve, with usable power and a nice rounded peak with a bit either side for flexibility.

I bet it feels pretty alive and eager/snappy on the road, as it's a fairly light bike, and putting out some decent torque.

Oh and who'd have thought it, that there's 12bhp to be had in a set up, just goes to show how useful and important dyno work is with a modified bike.

There's no way the average bloke in the street playing with needles and jets and plug chops would have found all that potential IMO.

This is why I didn't even consider fettling myself. The work to go from 48 to 51 bhp was enormous yet it's worth probably 1.5 seconds a lap.

I have to confess she's a bit scary. I ride a GSXR1100 every day and it's far less daunting than this thing.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats some pretty nice gains there!

looking forward to trackday action, any idea what youre gonna do with the sidestand? should just get one of those push bike ones

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/m/mdcJZDddbpsyGhYJ_QtFq_w/s-l225.jpg

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to give her a proper run out at Cadwell. Few teething issues (one throttle slide sticking due to a burr on the slide body and also a bollocking and a missed last session because the marshall took exception to the amount of oil getting sh*t out of the exhaust joints).

But she works. Quick enough in a straight line to stay ahead of standard 400 4t's and without the nasty ground clearance issues that blight riding a standard one fast.

Few jobs to do over winter -

Strip down and get sidestand mount sorted (original broke away from frame cross member for reasons unknown). It's annoying having to find a wall or axle stand every time you stop! I'll mock it up before i strip it as it might be beneficial to move the bracket elsewhere.

Make new arrangements for clocks. Both chinky clocks look the part but are pretty crap. See if I can find an electronic tacho that works. I've tried an RGV one but it reads twice the RPM as i've since found out that RGV's are not wasted spark. Will try a TDR one next. If no joy i'll not bother and stick with just a shift light and a speedo.

While the engine is out for the frame repair i'll pull the top end to make sure all is well and also try and solve the clutch issue, which i think is related to endfloat on the gearbox input shaft.

https://i.imgur.com/72ts0XI.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4