Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie - Anyone done Tough Mudder?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
MTBBikerLond This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you joined a motorcycle forum to ask about a running race Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, did one 2 years ago.

tbh, if you have a decent level of fitness, and are looking for a real challenge, look elsewhere.

i found it was essentially a very muddy 11 mile run, interspersed with some queuing. the only obstacles that i found hard were the big wall where you run at it and get helped up by people at the top, and the monkey bars. otherwise, it was reasonably mediocre for the money.

just my Penny Coin Penny Coin

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:54 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you based, I can probably offer some good alternatives if you are fit.

If you are looking more at actual *obstacles* (and have good upper body) then Toughest is probably the best.
(London not announced yet): https://www.toughest.se/en/events/

If you love running, then Rat Race Dirty Weekend (20 miles) is pretty damn awesome. Rat Race do a whole bunch of Endurance events if that's more your kind of thing. Tbh, Dirty Weekend is worth going to even if you walk the 20 miles - it has camping, and a big party, it's a damn good weekend.
https://ratrace.com/dirtyweekend2018/

Up North or in Scotland? Total Warrior or Born Survivor are also good and much cheaper that TM:
Total Warrior: https://www.totalwarrior.co.uk
Born Survivor: https://www.born-survivor.com

There's also Spartan, another multi-national similar to TM, all over the country:
https://www.spartanrace.uk/en

If you are not so fit and just looking to get out and try something new then tough mudder are a fairly good intro. Obstacles have changed this year, there are some more challenging ones. The wall groovy was referring to has been shrunk due to 'elf and safety I believe (I think someone potatoed themselves on it).

If you are fit and don't want to queue then the best thing to do with ANY of those races is always go for the earliest wave you can, even if it costs you an extra £20. The fun-runners in tutu's tend to go in the later (cheaper) waves and create massive hold ups.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:58 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to above, looks like this is why:

https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/31/mum-sues-tough-mudder-for-life-changing-injuries-she-got-while-taking-part-6891793/

Everest had shrunk significantly on the last race.

Who'dathunk you could smash your face in doing obstacles? Fairly certain it's in the waiver you sign...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapolsky wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/31/mum-sues-tough-mudder-for-life-changing-injuries-she-got-while-taking-part-6891793/

Who'dathunk you could smash your face in doing obstacles? Fairly certain it's in the waiver you sign...

Waivers mean diddly.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:06 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Sapolsky wrote:

Waivers mean diddly.

That may be, but come on... It's like signing up for the TT then suing when you potato yourself. You know the risks when you enter. It's very clear at the races, if you aren't confident doing any of the obstacles you can simply walk around them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

I reckon he thought it was a cycle forum. It's happened before.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapolsky wrote:

That may be, but come on... It's like signing up for the TT then suing when you potato yourself. You know the risks when you enter. It's very clear at the races, if you aren't confident doing any of the obstacles you can simply walk around them.

Totally; but an acceptance of inherent risk doesn't counter any negligence argument. The organisers still have a duty to ensure, insofar as reasonably possible, the safety of the participants. I'm not saying this one is a clear cut case of negligence, but that's what they're alleging and unfortunately courts take a dim view on the 'oh come on you knew the risks' argument when it comes to someone getting caught out by a hazard that hasn't been risk assessed properly / at all.

There was one a couple of years back where a cross country runner at a cross country event broke their hip falling over a speed bump as they went through the early stages of the race out from the grounds of the venue on their way to the course proper. You'd think that ridiculous because it's there to be seen, doesn't move, and isn't particularly hazardous considering 30 seconds later they'd be tramping over tree roots at high speed. But the counter argument was that whilst running in a pack of 5,000 jostling for position it wasn't able to be seen until too late, and nobody had thought to mark it as a hazard.

I don't imagine for a moment if this person had injured themselves out on the course falling over in a clearly marked water jump they'd have made a fuss about it, but breaking your hip because someone didn't think the start of the event through properly? I'd say they've got a point.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Even so why join one just to ask about a non cycling event

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Even so why join one just to ask about a non cycling event

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

another broken spam bot Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1