Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a derestricted bike with an A2 licence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NickT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:51 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Buying a derestricted bike with an A2 licence? Reply with quote

I've held my A2 licence for 1year and 11months. My test for the full licence is booked for next month (2years to the day since I passed A2).

I'm hoping to get a KTM EXC 500 enduro bike. Now, I'm not qualified to ride this 510cc bike with an A2 licence (It has about 63hp and weighs about 105kg).

The 2018 KTM EXC's are out, and I've found a new 2017 EXC at a dealer for discounted price. I'm pretty sure this bike will sell within a week at it's current discount, so I'm eager to put down a deposit asap.

Can I buy this bike?

I'll pickup the bike with a trailer, so I won't ride it away from the dealership, and I'll get it insured when I get my full licence.

Do dealers require you to have a a full licence to buy a bike that requires a full licence?

Any help, advice, tips whatsoever are Really appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Buying a derestricted bike with an A2 licence? Reply with quote

NickT wrote:
Can I buy this bike?

If you want.

NickT wrote:
Do dealers require you to have a a full licence to buy a bike that requires a full licence?

No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go out tomorrow and buy an aeroplane, doesn't mean you can fly it. All you need is money.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:32 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Buying a derestricted bike with an A2 licence? Reply with quote

NickT wrote:
I'm pretty sure this bike will sell within a week at it's current discount

If it was that cheap it will have sold while you're asking.

There will be another one along in a minute.

Deep breath.

Some dealers do seem to think they're the Sheriff of the Road, but they have no obligation to check your licence status. If you turn up with a trailer, they can't have any reasonable grounds for objecting.

Alternatively, just ride it on your A2. The chances of you ever running into anyone who even knows, let alone cares, that it's not A2 compliant are about as good as Rainpal® shipping by Christmas.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:09 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 2017 bike already registered? Doovla won't register a vehicle without proof of insurance. While it's possible to obtain cover without the relevant license, make sure you got deep pockets. If it's pre-registered (as I suspect) and you buy on dealer provided finance, they will also like to see your cover. Go with cash and you won't have much issue I suspect. Alternatively, will they hold it until you see if you pass/fail?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:18 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Doovla won't register a vehicle without proof of insurance.

From recent experience? They used to require proof of insurance in the Before Times, but lies.gov.uk says not any more (unless in Norn Mickland).

Money now and blackmail opportunities later, what's not to like.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy it now collect when passed test

how hard is it

I had a mate do this with the old type restriction

passed his test on a 125cc

two years later, couple of months before the restriction came off came into some cash so bought a _bladebusa whatever it was at the time and the dealer kept it for two months for him until he could ride it

NickT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:23 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike hasn't been registered yet.

I've only ever brought used bikes from private sellers in the past. They have never asked for proof of insurance or checked the back of my licence.

This is my first time buying a brand new bike from a dealer. I just wanted to know if the dealer checks your licence type (A1,A2 or A)?

I heard that if you want to ride the bike away, some dealerships makes sure you are fully qualified etc. But if you use a trailer to collect the bike it doesn't matter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:34 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickT wrote:
I heard that if you want to ride the bike away, some dealerships makes sure you are fully qualified etc.

Yes, some of them do seem to be stupid enough to create a duty of care when none exists.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:48 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
suburban myth wrote:
Doovla won't register a vehicle without proof of insurance.

From recent experience? They used to require proof of insurance in the Before Times, but lies.gov.uk says not any more (unless in Norn Mickland).

Money now and blackmail opportunities later, what's not to like.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations

Seems as though it applies in N. Ireland, but nothing said about England, Wales or Scotland. I doff my cap.............

When I was looking at a new car recently, it was said that I gotta insure it before registration, may be a finance/dealer thing though.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickT wrote:
The bike hasn't been registered yet.

So was his brand spanking new 07 plate at the time so 2007
I bought a Yamaha majesty 400 at the same time from the same place

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickT wrote:

I've only ever brought used bikes from private sellers in the past. They have never asked for proof of insurance or checked the back of my licence.

I didn't check when I sold my old bike, didn't give a flying kipper if he was insured, had a licence or anything, he'd handed me cash, as soon as he's off my driveway he's not my problem, we'd done change of keeper online so no getting that lost in the post, e-mail confirmation arrived while we were chatting.

If he gets pulled over then it's his problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1