BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike mounted timepiece?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ebay one like the OP is thinking of, but with a white face to match my speedo and tacho cos OCD.

Been there 18 months, survived a winter, on second battery which are pennies ebay. Little bit of grease on the rubber seal keeps moisture out.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Unlike some chinese trash that won't even keep proper time.

How many did you buy and how many failed your testing?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Unlike some chinese trash that won't even keep proper time.

How many did you buy and how many failed your testing?

Really? You're going to call me out on not doing an extensive product test when the reputation of the Casio is so good?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13194733
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Really? You're going to call me out on not doing an extensive product test

So, you just made it up that the ebay one wouldn't keep time?

I'm just trying to establish the validity of your statement that the ones at half the cost must be trash.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I'm just trying to establish the validity of your statement that the ones at half the cost must be trash.

I've had plenty of devices purchased from China, and they all had bugs. Seeing as a clock doesn't have to do a lot, and you can get what is considered to be one of the toughest and most reliable digital watches for about 8 quid, why would you quibble about saving four quid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Buy a waterproof Casio for ten quid, fasten it around the handlebars, job jobbed.

Your advice is to buy something at nearly twice the cost?

We can't all be baller like schumacher and Obama

EDIT: also, if you do go down the F91W route, I wouldn't get anything off ebay. I'd get it from Argos. As silly as it sounds, the F91W has countless fakes for sale, and I'd say it's nearly impossible to tell, even with the holding the button until Casio shows on the screen test.

https://imgur.com/WhwejOr.jpg

https://cdn0.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2015/10/Casio_F-91W_terrorist-002.jpg

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:29 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/LEiqUda.jpg

I is terrorist??

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:49 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one on mine and took it off. Constant distraction when I had to be somewhere at a certain time and often caught myself speeding. Took it off in the end and don't miss it one bit.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with the Chinese clock in the end. Finally put it on last week:

https://i.imgur.com/782JLTQ.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test will be when it rains!! Or does it come with a RainPal: The timepiece edition!

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was out in the rain the other day, and seems alright so far...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:17 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the ammeter (and casio digital).

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/cimg2158_zpssgt8c7uo.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's all about the ammeter (and casio digital).

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/cimg2158_zpssgt8c7uo.jpg

That milesperhourometer is begging for a <trollface.png>

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s19.postimg.org/vxrvthstf/IMAG3960.jpg

Another vote for the 'decent' casio. I've taken the straps off and 3M'd it to the top yoke. Has been through many many a rainy ride without issue.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:04 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all basic, I used a Patek Phillipe Nautilus - you know... just to be sure.

Are we arguing that the casio digital is not the greatest watch of all time?

Its up there with facts like the Sea is wet and the sky is blue - surely it is just an accepted fact?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike mounted timepiece? Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
It never used to bug me, but now I really could do with knowing the time while I'm on my bike.

I wasn't sure if anything existed, but eBay came up with these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142349683506

Has anyone got one, or similar? Any good, or do they stop working when they get damp?

Late to the game, but I've had a few of these. One I spent about £15 on, worked fine, stayed waterproof, kept good time, got torched along with the rest of the Electra. Spent £7 on another, stopped working first bit of rain. Spent another £14 on a black one for the YBR, ran slow, died after first damp morning.

Think I'm just going to put a plain Casio on this one. Think it was a Casio I had on the CB500.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=80586
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

useless info, but i bought a casio digital watch for my Bandit (no it doesn't even have a fuel gauge) an the watch turned out to be a fake an would lose minutes per week

who the funk fakes an already mega cheap watch!?

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use (worn-out) solar powered G-shock on brake fluid tank. Problem is it's not easy to push light button at night with the gloves on. Also solar powered one isn't nice. So I think conventional battery powered clock with luminous paint seems to be better (if with water proof).

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
You are all basic, I used a Patek Phillipe Nautilus - you know... just to be sure.

Are we arguing that the casio digital is not the greatest watch of all time?

Its up there with facts like the Sea is wet and the sky is blue - surely it is just an accepted fact?

Well the one in my pic is on its original battery and i bought it well over a decade ago, has seen many many a wet excursion, a car crash, a bike crash and its still going strong. The beep every hour annoys the piss out of the missus so it would get my vote even if it broke Laughing Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about £1 Waterproof Digital LED Silicone watch?

Zip it to the bars.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wUgAAOSw8GxZjDaq/s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unisex-Fashion-Waterproof-Digital-LED-Sports-Silicone-Bracelet-Wrist-Watch-/253088148163

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:53 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What will you do differently depending on what the time is?

The most common thing is figuring out whether it's safe to enter bus lanes or not.

+1 Thumbs Up

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:33 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike mounted timepiece? Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Think I'm just going to put a plain Casio on this one. Think it was a Casio I had on the CB500.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=80586

How do you find the handling with that bit of wood there? Wink

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get used to it. It's handy for maps and newspapers, too Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2