BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any rukka fans?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Frank Thomas jacket that's done me really well. Keeps me dry if I wear the inner waterproof layer. Got it off ebay, about 4 years ago and the only issue is the velcro for the wrists and front pockets no longer grips.

I'm going to look for something else but considering I only paid £60 for it, it has served me well. I doubt I'll find another bargain like that, even mediocre jackets are £200+

Somewhere on BCF is me asking for opinions on the jacket but the search is so shit I can't find it.

Last edited by ScaredyCat on 08:06 - 06 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:01 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This jacket:
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hideout-leathers’-ce-approved-textile-hi-pro-jacket-a-very-detailed-review.1191996/
Can be made to measure, can be cheaper and more protective than Rukka's top end stuff, and is made near Cambridge

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:19 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hideout-leathers’-ce-approved-textile-hi-pro-jacket-a-very-detailed-review.1191996/

It's like Tef had a stroke which radically improved his grammar and spelling.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:36 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:

It's like Tef had a stroke which radically improved his grammar and spelling.

Question Question
Not following

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the sort of detailed, informative, well structured novella that Tef thinks he's writing.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
No jacket can be fully waterproof if you ride in extreme rain for, say, 12 hours non-stop, not even the most uber-expensive GoreTexProUltraSuperUberTek.

Yes it can. Whether the rain gets in via the collar or cuffs is another matter. I found that if I was zipped up jacket to trousers and didn't remove my gloves Gore-tex kept me perfectly dry all day or at least did when i worked on bikes.

Londoner2015 wrote:
I remember a few reports on this on advrider. Or you can read the reports of those who ride to the Elefantentreffen - pretty much all gear fails in those conditions.

Not the sort of people who ride all day 5 days a week.

Londoner2015 wrote:
YMMV, but in my experience I have never noticed any material differences among GoreTex, GorePro, Schoeller’s c-change, Clover’s, Revit’s and Alpinestar’s waterproof membranes, although, TBH, I have never ridden in very extreme rain for more than an hour. Some swear that Gore is better than other brands' own membranes; again, that's not my experience, but YMMV.

But then you don't ride 12 hours a day 5 days a week. More couriers use Gore-tex than any other membrane, ask them why.

Rukka tend to be either very good or very bad. A few of the chaps at work have had Rukka that has leaked on the first day and had to be exchanged but then the exchanges are fine, more have had to return items for repair.

Rukka also tends to be overpriced compared to the equivelent from other manufacturers for example my IXS Toronto Gore-tex Pro jacket was £700ish reduced to £380 whereas the equivelent Rukka would be the Armas at £849.

You don't have to just go for Rukka, any Gore Pro would be very good and the old Gore Performance is still good but the outside tends to absorb water so you get cold but still dry.

Keep in mind Roger is the ultimate sceptic
Rogerborg wrote:
I'm sold on Gore-Textm now.

and yet even he likes Gore-tex now.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:15 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sickpup, sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong: no fabric can be waterproof under extreme conditions.

Did you ever wonder why the performance of waterproof fabrics is measured in mm? Do you know what that means? 20,000 mm means you can place a tube that's 20,000 millimetres high (I don't remember the diameter) on the fabric, fill it with water, and the fabric won't leak. 10,000mm means just that: 10,000 mm would work, 20,000 wouldn't.

You can find more detailed explanations here, including why outerwear is never completely waterproof:

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

No, I don't ride 12 hours a day. Couriers do, but they are hardly ever exposed to 12 hours of non-stop rain. That's why the stories of those who go to the Elefantentreffen are, IMHO, more relevant when it comes to testing gear in extreme conditions.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
@sickpup, sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong: no fabric can be waterproof under extreme conditions.

Well that depends on what you class as extreme conditions.

Londoner2015 wrote:
Did you ever wonder why the performance of waterproof fabrics is measured in mm? Do you know what that means? 20,000 mm means you can place a tube that's 20,000 millimetres high (I don't remember the diameter) on the fabric, fill it with water, and the fabric won't leak. 10,000mm means just that: 10,000 mm would work, 20,000 wouldn't.

Yes its called head of water iirc.

Now heres the relevent bit concerning Membranes from memory so may be wrong but probably isn't.

Sheltex is rated at 12psi. This is equivelent to 27.67 foot of head
Gore-tex is around 18psi. This is equivelent to 41.51 foot of head.

These are from the information Hein Gericke used to give to customers so they could make an educated choice when buying.

Londoner2015 wrote:
You can find more detailed explanations here, including why outerwear is never completely waterproof:

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

Membranes can wet out where they are so wet or dirty they get wet. Either wash regularly or when they weather is truly extreme you put shell waterproofs over your goretex then the sweat goes through the goretex can't penetrate the plastics so drips down between them. You also have less wetting out problems if you use heated clothing under the goretex clothing

Londoner2015 wrote:
No, I don't ride 12 hours a day. Couriers do, but they are hardly ever exposed to 12 hours of non-stop rain. That's why the stories of those who go to the Elefantentreffen are, IMHO, more relevant when it comes to testing gear in extreme conditions.

I shalll let the many couriers I know that they don't ride in rain for 12 hours a day very often, I suspect they will laugh at you.

People who don't ride for a living tend to go through less gear and aren't as well prepared for heavy rain when it happens for days on end.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Keep in mind Roger is the ultimate sceptic

[citation needed]

To be clear, I'm not particularly advocating Rukka or declaring it as the best value for money, just that I won't be buying any more wet-weather gear that's not Gore-Textm lined.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:11 - 07 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:44 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sickpup, precisely, the very fact it has to be measured means that outdoor gear is never 100% waterproof, only water resistant to certain degrees. AFAIK these tests don't apply to, say, rubber or the metal cage of a car. I understand most BCFers would rather have their tongues cut than admit they were wrong, but you were factually wrong Razz

@Roger, may I ask what else you have tried? Have you tried Schoeller's c-change? BMW uses it in its latest Enduroguard. I have it on another jacket and I find it on par with GoreTex.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't been doing this that long. Given that I'd expect a multiple-hundred pound item to last at a minimum 5 years of near daily use, there are only so many that you can really try out in a lifetime.

I used RST Sinaqua which lasted a couple of years before leaking through the elbows. Various TX lotions and potions and tumble drying recovered it a few times before I eventually gave up on it.

I then slummed it for a while by adding various plastic waterproof layers (2 piece, 1 piece) which do work just fine, but are a hassle to carry and put on.

Ain't nobody got time fo', and so on, so I thought I'd take a punt on a cheap and old Rukka Gore-Textm jacket. Given that it's been absolutely bone dry despite being surprisingly thin and light, I can't see why I'd gamble on anything else now.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
@sickpup, precisely, the very fact it has to be measured means that outdoor gear is never 100% waterproof, only water resistant to certain degrees. AFAIK these tests don't apply to, say, rubber or the metal cage of a car. I understand most BCFers would rather have their tongues cut than admit they were wrong, but you were factually wrong Razz

Thats because generally we aren't wrong but people try to prove something.

By your definition neither rubber nor steel are waterproof. Rubber will rupture if you place enough pressure on it as will steel. Afterall a water grit cutter will go straight through it dependant on thickness.

The thing is over the last year or so you have put down various brands jackets and only really recommended the Hideout Textiles which oddly you don't use so you are not exactly an unbiased person and quite a hypocrite.

Londoner2015 wrote:
Quite simply, I cannot be convinced of what the additional value of Rukka would be;

I suspect you have never even tried Rukka considering your complaints about how expensive it is and how can low paid couriers afford it.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

The thing is over the last year or so you have put down various brands jackets

Such as? I think Rukka is not worth the cost, I have never said it was poor quality.

sickpup wrote:

and only really recommended the Hideout Textiles which oddly you don't use so you are not exactly an unbiased person and quite a hypocrite.
Ehm, how do you know I don't use the Hideout jacket? Question Question
Please do enlighten me Razz

Not unbiased? A hypocrite? What are you on?

I use it almost every day from roughly October till April, then it becomes too hot for me.

And, BTW, that's not the only one I recommend. The Klim Apex and BMW Enduroguard are two jackets I'd recommend for the rainy British spring/summer.

Londoner2015 wrote:
Quite simply, I cannot be convinced of what the additional value of Rukka would be;

I suspect you have never even tried Rukka considering your complaints about how expensive it is and how can low paid couriers afford it.[/quote]

You're right. I have never tried it. I haven't won the lottery so I can't try all the high-end gear I'd like.

In terms of protection, the top-end Rukka used to have some superfabric; the new, even more expensive one (Nivala) doesn't any more - it has more vents but it is less abrasion resistant without the superfabric. This alone is a big deal to me, because, if I spent that much money, I'd want something more than bog-standard Cordura when it comes to abrasion resistance.

In terms of waterproofness, you can get stuff with excellent top-end membranes for far less than the £1,200 the Rukka Nivala now costs. In fact, you can get a made-to-measure Hideout for less.

Lastly, I sweat a lot, and I could only use the heavy Rukka jackets when it's really, really cold. by end of February-early March I'd start sweating like a pig. How do I know if I haven't tried Rukka? Because the weight of a jacket contributes a lot to how much it makes you sweat, especially in city traffic, and because this is a common complaint, which in fact drove Rukka to make the new Nivala with better vents. Not everyone sweats as much as me, of course (lucky them) - as with all these things, YMMV.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:09 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

By your definition neither rubber nor steel are waterproof. Rubber will rupture if you place enough pressure on it as will steel. Afterall a water grit cutter will go straight through it dependant on thickness.

Ok, let's be clearer, then.

The conditions under which a high-end motorcycle jacket will leak rain are far less rare and extreme than those under which the metal cage of a car will leak rain.

Realistically, unless it's faulty, no car leaks rain inside; motorcycle jackets, instead, can and do, even the most expensive ones - not if you ride for 30 minutes under the rain, but if you ride from Dusseldorf to Munich on the autobhan under intense rain, not impossible, not impossible at all. Again, Elefantreffen reports are good reading.

Clearer now?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Clearer now?

Yes but still not accurate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2