Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road closed due to roadworks kitten killer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Road closed due to roadworks kitten killer Reply with quote

Wotchapeeps.

Around the Northampton area there's a shed load of roadworks and road closures on at the mo, and has been for most of the year. As soon as one finishes, the next lot starts 100 yards away. There's one particular junction on my commute which currently has a 3-way temporary light phasing, and the queues are fucking stupid. It also has a diversion in place, so one of the normal exits is marked as road closed with cones across it, but only for about 10 foot - traffic is still allowed the other side of the cones.

They've slowly been placing more cones there and closing the gaps, but I can still get through. This morning they've put a bloke there. Pretty sure he mentioned kittens and prison in his tirade as I slalomed past him and toddled on my merry way, but I couldn't tell with the earplugs in and a dose of rortyzorst.

So, what is the penalty for ignoring road closed signs? Death by a thousand cuts? Scaphism?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm going to be wrong on this, Roger may be along shortly to correct me, but I think it would come under TS50 "Failing to comply with a traffic sign (excluding Stop signs, traffic lights and double white lines)". Mandatory death penalty Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Road closed due to roadworks kitten killer Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
So, what is the penalty for ignoring road closed signs? Death by a thousand cuts? Scaphism?

+10 Man Points.

I had a fist literally shaken at me for riding down a "closed" road recently, like in a cartoon. I find a cheery wave to be the bestingest response.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an article about someone getting fined for driving through a flooded road which had a road closed sign.
Vehicle was a prepped Land Rover Defender so had no issues with 3 ft of water rather than drive many miles around, however plod deemed many kittens to have been killed as a result.

I could only seem to find Scottish stories in the UK (as link below), but I'm pretty sure the one I remember was in the home counties.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/drivers-who-ignored-road-closed-7187481

Last edited by BTTD on 09:25 - 04 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are actually working with machines running and ear defenders on they don't want traffic passing unexpectedly.
But the main reason for excessive cone-age is likely to be liability in case someone falls in hole or gets hit by something.

If no-one is actually there and you can get through safely nothing worse than finger wagging is going to happen. Tut Tut
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly ride past road closed signs. Thumbs Up

Quite often there is a UCR or Byway along there somewhere, number of times I've ridden from the opposite direction of the closure sign, to the annoyance, bewilderment, puzzlement, etc of workers who wonder where we have come from.

Not our fault, they didn't sign the junction we turned out of, cos they didn't bother to check it was there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
If they are actually working with machines running and ear defenders on they don't want traffic passing unexpectedly.
But the main reason for excessive cone-age is likely to be liability in case someone falls in hole or gets hit by something.

There's no holes or work at this point; that's further back up the road. Because it's been made single file, it would be awkward/impossible for artics to make the turn for this particular road, so they've created a diversion. Plenty of room for cars and bikes to turn though.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once rode past a road closed sign in the Pyrenees, assuming that whatever had caused the closure would be no problem to weave the bike through.

Got round the next corner to find that a whole section of road had disappeared down the mountain! Bit of a brown trouser moment, followed by some awkward manoeuvring to turn around two luggage laden bikes Laughing Won't make that mistake again!

But in the UK, "road closed" signs are generally ignored Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:01 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay attention to them if they were used only where and when absolutely necessary.

Coning and closing off big stretches of roads for weeks with no work being done (and being seen to not be done) leads to contempt.

And that then leads to workers being injured and killed.

That's the cost of over-signing.

Saltiness coming from discovering that the secret unsigned mystery closures that have just sprung up on my commute and are causing chaos - with, of course, no actual works being done - are going to be there for at least 6 weeks.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an old codger a few months ago slowly dismantling a temporary barrier and moving cones so he could get his car onto the closed roundabout and join the A-road. He could, and should have driven back a short way and joined further south but I admired his bulldog spirit. I bet he's an awkward old cuss!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend did this on south coast a few years ago
ASBO £100 fine based on CCTV image of bike on closed road!
Riding other than on the Highway ?? or some such

be aware some local authorities / some police forces do not take it

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:19 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
ASBO £100 fine

https://i.imgur.com/Y2uVa4t.gif

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
davebike wrote:
ASBO £100 fine

https://i.imgur.com/Y2uVa4t.gif

You'll give yerself a hernia holding it in.

https://aws-cdn-01.shemazing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mrsdoyle2_2.jpg
...G'wan G'wan G'wan.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Road closed due to roadworks kitten killer Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Wotchapeeps.

Around the Northampton area there's a shed load of roadworks and road closures on at the mo

Feel your pain shaggy..

I commute from Kettering to Northampton everyday. Its a real sh!t..

First it was the A14 road works, now its the A43 road works. My commute gets longer and longer, queues absolutely everywhere.

Pretty sure the A43 works will go on forever as they move it along and duel the road.

Currently divert off the A43 to sywell and backroads from there as going through Moulton is tragic.

Whereabouts is you're closed road? Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom of Holly Lodge Drive, where it meets the Market Harborough Road. The actual coned area is where the lorry is turning here :-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2722971,-0.9019164,3a,75y,118.98h,84.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSOeNQc46lhBtr2LZqwDH1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's closed, just for the width of the pedestrian crossing. The other side joining the Harborough Road is open. At the moment it's quicker for me to go through Boughton to Moulton, cross the A43 and get to Wellingborough via Sywell than it is to wait at that junction.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on the roads doing resurfacing people drive though road closed signs and then complain there's tar all up the car then ask am I going to clean it. I just laugh at them. Road closed signs are there for a reason.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:49 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Road closed due to roadworks kitten killer Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
They've slowly been placing more cones there and closing the gaps, but I can still get through. This morning they've put a bloke there.

Next will be tying the cones.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WULFSTAN wrote:
I work on the roads doing resurfacing people drive though road closed signs and then complain there's tar all up the car then ask am I going to clean it.

Some fuckwits have driving licences, what can you say.

Quote:
Road closed signs are there for a reason.

Which I'm not denying. My query is what is the actual penalty for ignoring them.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy d a I think the police try for endangerment to life if caught which is a big if.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:40 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WULFSTAN wrote:
Shaggy d a I think the police try for endangerment to life if caught which is a big if.

Why do you think that?

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
WULFSTAN wrote:

Why do you think that?
Just what I've heard while at work from those above.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel your pain Shaggy. Recently on my commute home, they'd decided to put cones and lights across about 20 feet of one side of the road. Then they'd not turned the traffic lights on. Good one. No actual work was completed until the following morning. All of that carnage for nothing. Lazy arses.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WULFSTAN wrote:
Road closed signs are there for a reason.

Depends, a main road was closed close to me for ages, but they also closed the side roads so everyone didn't use them. I squeezed through the (side road) closure as it was my regular route anyway.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cones (and angry dayglow Derek) have gone this morning, but the signs are still there and the cars are using the turn.

Got to work this morning to find a sign up for the last road I use before getting to the office stating it will be closed for a week starting the 23rd. Lovely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1