Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Very cheap glasses...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Very cheap glasses... Reply with quote

So, gamed cheap glasses a bit.

- Tesco do free eye-tests - No obligation to buy anything, can walk off with your prescription.

Booking page here - Over phone also ok

And Glasses2u have a 30% sale on until Monday.

https://www.glasses2u.co.uk/

Code is NEWSITE30

Enjoy, or don't, I don't care Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true eye tests (so prescriptions) vary depending on where you get them? I still don't wear the glasses specsavers 'recommended' I get, as they're too strong/make me feel sick. I'm curious what a different optician would make of my eyesight Thinking

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is it true eye tests (so prescriptions) vary depending on where you get them? I still don't wear the glasses specsavers 'recommended' I get, as they're too strong/make me feel sick. I'm curious what a different optician would make of my eyesight Thinking

Depends on the quality of the optician.

I know some great glasses producers who get my prescription wrong every time. If I give him a prescription, beautiful cheap glasses.

Ergo, I tend to just get a prescription from anywhere and then search online.

Comes down to your confidence with the individual optician, not the brand itself.

hth

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest problems come when you have a high astigmatism - means the positioning of the lens has to be absolutely spot on within the frame otherwise you get some really weird results. So that bit when you put the frames on with the dummy lenses and they mark the location of the centre of your pupil with a marker pen? If you buy the glasses with the lenses already made up and installed then you're in for a bit of a surprise if you've got your measurements a bit woolly...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your eyes lazered - best thing i ever did. cos me £75 a month for a few years but well worth it.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I think it differs on the person being tested also, if for example you are tired your prescription may be artificially high.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I've gone back 6 times, finally got a prescription I'm happy with!
two re-tests and 6 sets of lenses at their expense

Only loss I made was taking a day sick due to headache and petrol to get there

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
get your eyes lazered - best thing i ever did. cos me £75 a month for a few years but well worth it.

But for how long is the correction supposed to last? Shirley a corrected eye can worsen just like an untouched one from birth?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Yes......but.....when in later life you get cataracts (and everyone does) which need surgery (a lense transplant) that surgery and your recovery can be compromised as a result of the laser treatment.

I'd say think very hard before opting for laser eye surgery. It can have nasty consequences later on in life.

Far better to go for specs. They make you look intelligent, suave and sexy after all. See?

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/tumblr_ljib6ofEee1qbz490o1_400_2439.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Very cheap glasses... Reply with quote

Before doing my truck test I got a free eye test from Tesco.

She advised I should be ok, but of course 'just in case' suggested I got the advised prescription.

I didn't and in the GP surgery for the medical managed better than 20/20 vision with some squnting - way better than the requirements.

However, similar experience for other opticians in the past; they're in the business of selling glasses.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is it true eye tests (so prescriptions) vary depending on where you get them?

Definitely - varies from free to eye-watering (there's a very highly-regarded optician in my town that all the doctors recommend, which falls into the latter category!)

M.C wrote:
I still don't wear the glasses specsavers 'recommended' I get, as they're too strong/make me feel sick. I'm curious what a different optician would make of my eyesight

Are you supposed to be wearing them for driving/riding? Shocked

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

But for how long is the correction supposed to last? Shirley a corrected eye can worsen just like an untouched one from birth?

Nearly tens years here.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is starting to catch up with me, I've now got to the stage where close work is difficult - anything less than 40cm goes a bit blurry, anything closer than 14cm is totally out. Got an appointment with specsavers on Saturday but I was wondering if cheap 'reading glasses' would do the trick or if I should really go the whole hog and buy 'proper' ones.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Unfortunately not a possibility for me, hence mega glasses every year Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I've gone back 6 times, finally got a prescription I'm happy with!
two re-tests and 6 sets of lenses at their expense

Only loss I made was taking a day sick due to headache and petrol to get there

I got told (pretty quickly) maybe I need contacts, so I figured they were in the business of selling you whatever and weren't fussed about your actual eyesight.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Are you supposed to be wearing them for driving/riding? Shocked

Well I went for an eye test before taking my motorbike tests (being responsible and shit), but took my test without glasses as I didn't want it a condition of my licence, something I got shit for on here Razz

It's astigmatism, and (apparently) the minimum amount recommend for glasses in one eye Confused It does get worse when I'm tired or when exercising though.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Age is starting to catch up with me, I've now got to the stage where close work is difficult - anything less than 40cm goes a bit blurry, anything closer than 14cm is totally out. Got an appointment with specsavers on Saturday but I was wondering if cheap 'reading glasses' would do the trick or if I should really go the whole hog and buy 'proper' ones.

IME, if you need, what are essentially, reading glasses, ie. glasses for close up work, you may find that the prescription you end up with is the weakest you can get. If it is just an age related thing your eyes will deteriorate some more and you'll be back for more tests and another prescription.
Really cheap, non prescription, reading glasses are a bit crap, the lenses are not very good, there is a very small sweet spot, if you're not looking through that bit of the lens, they have a lessened effect or no effect.
I believe the non prescription reading glasses they sell in specsavers are quite good, you get what you pay for!
Non prescription reading glasses will not damage your eyes, according to an eye surgeon!

Digest what TSK says about laser surgery, a friend of mine had cataract surgery a few months ago, he'd previously had the same eye lasered.
He's now got major complications with that eye, for someone who relies on that eye for shooting, he's more than a bit pissed off that his eyesight is worse than it was pre op!
And don't assume you won't get cataracts, everybody does, to some degree!

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I believe the non prescription reading glasses they sell in specsavers are quite good, you get what you pay for!
Non prescription reading glasses will not damage your eyes, according to an eye surgeon!

https://www.axminster.co.uk/3m-bx-readers-bifocal-safety-spectacles-ax866756 Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:24 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Very cheap glasses... Reply with quote

G wrote:
Before doing my truck test I got a free eye test from Tesco.

She advised I should be ok, but of course 'just in case' suggested I got the advised prescription.

I didn't and in the GP surgery for the medical managed better than 20/20 vision with some squnting - way better than the requirements.

However, similar experience for other opticians in the past; they're in the business of selling glasses.

They more than likely follow a guideline that suggests if correction is of benefit then it can be recommended.
I don't know if they work on commission.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 helpful, however no good for me sadly.

Was hoping to grab a spare pare of sunglasses, but although I have quite a low prescription value (under -2) I have really severe astigmatism, and the prescription drop downs don't go high enough for me for my right eye. Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1