Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much would you spend?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

daffyduck
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: How much would you spend? Reply with quote

Bought a Kawasaki GT550 for under £500 recently. Now it needs a new exhaust. Can't find a second hand one anywhere, and it appears only Motad still do a system for this bike.
They want £332 for it, so would you spend that amount on a bike which is not worth much more?
Or you cut your losses and sell off the parts.
The centre stand is beyond repair, so may need to be removed and then I will need to buy a paddock stand for future service jobs .
Your thoughts please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how naff the rest of it is. If it needs £1500 thrown at it to be serviceable and you're only after a cheap hack, then no, I wouldn't get involved.

If all it needs is the exhaust and the rest of it is alright then I'd say £800 to have a working, interesting bike with a nice exhaust isn't the end of the world.

Ultimately it will come down to how tight you want or need to be; knowing that most on here are as tight as a duck's butt, I'd suggest the advice you'll get will be GTF would they spend that sort of cash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

money or patience... depends which you've got more of I suppose.

theyre a cool little bike though.. probably worth the effort.

can you not get one fabricated?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one. What's your planned use for it?

I assume not cheap London commuter because of the (likely to be extended) ULEZ, but I'm prepared to be shocked and awed.

If you're keeping it and nothing else needs done, I'd probably go for it. Worst case, if you bail on it sharpish you can sell the system and get some money back, or try and flog the whole thing to the Shoreditcheratti as "perfect base for a custom cafe track bob race scrambler".

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could buy a hobby mig for much less and weld up the current one..

looking at exhausts ebay, its the norm.

From experience, i wont buy an old Kawasaki again

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 10:34 - 10 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

daffyduck
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:11 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Other bits Reply with quote

The front tyre leaks slowly, could be the rim or valve.
a tiny oil leak from No.1 cylinder.
I've already replaced the rear shocks as they were useless.
I've covered about 150 miles on it and it rides fine.
Planned to use it when the weather was shit to keep my VFR looking good, as it appears to hold it's value.
It's no looker. the charge display light circuit has been bypassed and is kept permanently off by putting 2 double A batteries behind the battery.
Picked up a set of original indicators for £30 which I plan to fit.

Is there anyway of fitting return springs to the front footrests?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends really, if it's a well maintained machine, low mileage YES

If the bike is a high mileage piece of junk forget it...

Checked Ebay just now and oh dear, nothing what so ever.

OH and as for your front tyre leak, bead seal will cure your leak.

How bad is the exhaust??

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had one of those in reasonable nick I'd want to do it up. I had the 750 version many many years ago and liked it. Nice little shaft drive.

That said I suspect parts won't be easy to acquire when something goes if you are trying to keep it anything like original. It depends on what you want from it. I don't think using it as transport to keep your VFR good is really viable. You would be better getting an old Bandit or Divvy, something with a good spares supply and flogging that on.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be other options

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071017144701AAgeg3c

If that's the case then there is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-Z550-Z400-Z500-MOTAD-EXHAUST-COMPLETE-/322787734457?hash=item4b27a5f3b9

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or read this:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=196411

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
How bad is the exhaust??

Rode for a while with an exhaust 'bandage' on before and it did a surprisingly good job, bike was a bit down on power tho.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your effectivley down in the bangernomics area, where a set of new tyres or a full tank of fuel is a significant proportion of the bikes notional value.
However, unless you are lucky, pretty much anything at that price point will have something wrong with it. I'd probably be happier buying a £500 bike and spending £500 to fix everything, than buying a nicer looking £1k bike that is an unknown in terms of what needs doing - but I have no idea what the parts supply is really like for the one you have (are you going to be waiting weeks to get hold of anything that breaks?)

The other, minor, thing is that I wouldn't associate the cost of a paddock stand with this bike. A stand is an investment in making your life easier on all future bikes.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:25 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your conundrum.

I've just ditched my 2001 SV650 as a whole host of problems/repairs were identified that would've cost at least 75% of the bike's value. Yes I liked it but it was that stage where starting afresh was better.

If you like the bike enough to ride it then go ahead & get your exhaust & any other small things. It depends if you enjoy the classic bikes and the effort that goes into keeping them going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's broken at the 4-1 join you can bodge it with building layers of expoxy and jubileed can fix.

I did several times, my problem was grinding the exhaust out cornering too badass.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

daffyduck
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the item on eBay for £110. Let's hope it fits, and now all I have to do is sort the centre stand.
Not looking to spend a lot on it as it's only going to be used when the weather is shit and I have to use it for training.
Otherwise, the VFR will be out on the road.
Thanks Scott T for the link. Top Man.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I'd probably be happier buying a £500 bike and spending £500 to fix everything, than buying a nicer looking £1k bike that is an unknown in terms of what needs doing

Depends, you could end up with a 1k lemon either way. Personally I don't see a neglected bike being turned around, had this with my 125, eventually you reach a point where it's not worth fixing anything else.

daffyduck
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: CAnt make it fit Reply with quote

Bought the second hand Motad, and its in much better condition than the one that came with the bike.
But I can’t get anything to fit. I need another pair of hands. The weight of the silencer is not allowing me to align the down pipes. If I am able to align the down pipes into position, the bracket for the silencer does not align with the pillion footrest bracket.
I’ve read the fitting instructions which I downloaded from Motad, and that’s no help.
I’ve taken all the down pipes out of the silencer and fitted them to the cylinder head, hoping to then be able to connect them to the silencer, but that didn’t work either as you can’t align the pipes to the collector box.
Any ideas? I’m loosing the will to live with this bike!!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:42 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammers. Lots of hammers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1