Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SORN / MOT / Insurance / Winterise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: SORN / MOT / Insurance / Winterise Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't been riding much this for one reason or another and would like to free up some space in my garage.

I'm thinking of putting my bike into storage for the winter and wondered what precautions I need to take?

The storage is a brick built garage away from my home, within a locked compound. I'm not overly concerned with security and will be using a ground anchor.

I have no idea what I need to do about making the bike ok until next spring. I also have no idea where I stand on tax / mot etc. I can sorn the bike, but think it's a good idea to at least keep theft cover in place..?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick it on paddocks

fill it with fuel

battery on optimate

job done'd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: SORN / MOT / Insurance / Winterise Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I also have no idea where I stand on tax / mot etc. I can sorn the bike, but think it's a good idea to at least keep theft cover in place..?

Tax is easy:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

MOT just runs - if it runs out before you get it back out again, first trip is to MOT station.

Insurance - search for 'laid up' cover. Depending on what you're currently paying it may not work out any cheaper / might be difficult to find anyway, these days. Don't forget if your bike goes into storage somewhere other than your home address you'll need to notify them, and that will of course incur an admin fee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you SORN it? Genuine question. If it is for the monies back on outstanding tax and insurance then fair enough but if not why not just keep the tax and insurance rolling?

Cost of keeping it rolling vs returns if cancelled.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Why would you SORN it? Genuine question. If it is for the monies back on outstanding tax and insurance then fair enough but if not why not just keep the tax and insurance rolling?

Cost of keeping it rolling vs returns if cancelled.

Monies was the only reason really. But I'd probably not both until insurance and tax is due for renewal. Same with MOT.

Regarding keeping the battery on a charger, I don't have power at the place. Shall I just bring the battery home and keep on charge off the bike?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

Regarding keeping the battery on a charger, I don't have power at the place. Shall I just bring the battery home and keep on charge off the bike?

Yes, that'd be best.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:23 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leaving it a couple of months over winter?

Stick it in storage and forget about it, remove the battery if you must.

I rolled my old YBR out of the shed after 2 years sat in there started on the button, flew through it's MOT no issues. I'd literally just ridden it in the day I passed my test and left it there.

Bikes are not the delicate little flowers a lot of people seem to treat them as.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Just leaving it a couple of months over winter?

Stick it in storage and forget about it, remove the battery if you must.

I rolled my old YBR out of the shed after 2 years sat in there started on the button, flew through it's MOT no issues. I'd literally just ridden it in the day I passed my test and left it there.

Bikes are not the delicate little flowers a lot of people seem to treat them as.

YBR is YBR though.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ?? Winter in the UK, genuine cold winter, lasts about 2 weeks, is it really worth it?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why ??

fatjames wrote:

I haven't been riding much this for one reason or another and would like to free up some space in my garage.

I'd hazard a guess he wants some space in his garage and because he hasn't been riding much, the bike is an obvious choice of things to shift out.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but, then the OP should also consider, is it worth the expense of keeping a bike in the first place? Perhaps it's just me, but, if I wasn't riding my bikes regularly, all year round, I'd shift them on.. Don't really see the point of having bikes, and then not riding them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why ?? Winter in the UK, genuine cold winter, lasts about 2 weeks, is it really worth it?

But the salt lasts about 6 months.

I'm putting my VFR away for the winter this year, keep my nice bits nice. Gonna ride the enfield and keep it good and oily.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
OK, but, then the OP should also consider, is it worth the expense of keeping a bike in the first place? Perhaps it's just me, but, if I wasn't riding my bikes regularly, all year round, I'd shift them on.. Don't really see the point of having bikes, and then not riding them.

This is a valid point and one that I've considered carefully. I suppose the long and short of it is that I do want the bike.

When I bought the bike, I paid a little bit too much for it and since then have put a new chain and sprockets on, a top box rack and some levers that I find comfy. (and not many miles). Financially, I won't make money selling it now (or ever) and then I'll lose out I wanted another next spring. Also, I'll spend the money if I sell it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much in the same situation. The amount I use my bike does not justify that much dead money sitting in my garage. If I sold it though, I would probably never get another bike, I just don't need one.

So it stays, always taxed, insured and MOTd, on an Optimate and ready to use. It costs me £90 insurance, £35? for MOT and £78 road tax. So £203 to sit there per year ready to use at any time. Stupid really as our town runaround Twingo costs that sort of money a year.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm very much in the same situation. The amount I use my bike does not justify that much dead money sitting in my garage. If I sold it though, I would probably never get another bike, I just don't need one.

So it stays, always taxed, insured and MOTd, on an Optimate and ready to use. It costs me £90 insurance, £35? for MOT and £78 road tax. So £203 to sit there per year ready to use at any time. Stupid really as our town runaround Twingo costs that sort of money a year.

I think there is a separation between a mode of transport (Twingo) which needs to return some sort of financial efficiency and a hobby such as a bike which doesnt.

With my car, I care about what it costs me per mile as I do 25k+. It's not the bare minimum I could get away with as I want somewhere nice to sit, but its justifiable.

The bike on the other hand is over £1 a mile and I dont care, because to me its not the equivalent of the car, its the equivalent of a golf club membership, or fridays in the pub or whatever else normal people do.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I think there is a separation between a mode of transport (Twingo) which needs to return some sort of financial efficiency and a hobby such as a bike which doesnt.

With my car, I care about what it costs me per mile as I do 25k+. It's not the bare minimum I could get away with as I want somewhere nice to sit, but its justifiable.

The bike on the other hand is over £1 a mile and I dont care, because to me its not the equivalent of the car, its the equivalent of a golf club membership, or fridays in the pub or whatever else normal people do.

'normal people', that made me laugh!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1