Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle? And why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

If you don't already own one: Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle?
Definitely (6)
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Very Probably (5)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Probably (4)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Possibly (3)
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Probably Not (2)
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Definitely Not (1)
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 54

Luawie This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:12 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s1.postimg.org/1qrcnptaj3/image.gif

Luawie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:16 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:19 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from your company.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle? And wh Reply with quote

Luawie wrote:
Hi guys, for a small research towards electric motorcycles I am curious to your thoughts about the following: Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle? And why/why not? Much appreciate your answers!

I assume we are talking about this one? Then yes definitely.

https://www.therookies.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/89483-tron-bike-60-1490139520.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:28 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does answering you help me?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How does answering you help me?

Free bike?

Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skewed survey is skewed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle? And wh Reply with quote

Luawie wrote:
Hi guys, for a small research towards electric

Why?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

go on then, I'll bite, more for the debate with members on here than to help out.

I actually expect that I'll have an electric bike at some point as my main use is to commute so it partially makes sense, but I don't want to be having to charge every night and would like fairings, not a naked.

anyone else?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they have a decent range and can be recharged like my Trophy can be filled up with petrol I might consider it.

Or they are so stupidly cheap I'd buy one for the lols.

Other than that. No.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:04 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; I did.

Because I wanted to take the battery out to use in an electric trailer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:16 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I actually expect that I'll have an electric bike at some point as my main use is to commute so it partially makes sense, but I don't want to be having to charge every night and would like fairings, not a naked.

anyone else?

Of course I'll have one at some point assuming that I live that long.

The meta-question is: would I have any of the ones on the market right now?

No.

Would I have any of the ones being touted by the likes of Yamaha?

I don't know, they don't exist. Ask again when they do.

Would I have whatever CAD-and-magical-thinking chariot that OP's school chums are dreaming up?

Only if it comes with a Rainpal®. Also, no.

mauzo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Of course I'll have one at some point assuming that I live that long.

I dunno… petrol (and/or diesel, jet fuel and so on) is an extremely efficient way of storing and transporting large amounts of energy. I strongly suspect that it will become economic to manufacture bio-petrol before electric vehicles take over, and that the tax incentives will start pushing in that direction.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. I like petrol engine noise and managing gears, so the idea of a near-silent twist-and-go doesn't appeal much. Perhaps more importantly, I'm not convinced of the green credentials. Electric vehicles still rely on fossil fuels, with their energy generated several efficiency-sapping steps away from the point of use. Then there's the poor range which I don't expect to improve much, the relatively long refuelling period and the short span, high cost battery replacement. I expect biofuels to make electric vehicles redundant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they are at least on par with a 125, yes. So that's 60mph cruising, 250 mile range, "refill" in 5 minutes from a good infrastructure, buy for £1500.

Not holding breath.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Probably not. I like petrol engine noise and managing gears, so the idea of a near-silent twist-and-go doesn't appeal much. Perhaps more importantly, I'm not convinced of the green credentials. Electric vehicles still rely on fossil fuels, with their energy generated several efficiency-sapping steps away from the point of use. Then there's the poor range which I don't expect to improve much, the relatively long refuelling period and the short span, high cost battery replacement. I expect biofuels to make electric vehicles redundant.

It's city NIMBYism. We don't want the pollution but you non townies can have it in Didcot or Dungeness. Rolling Eyes

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do electric motorcycles even make sense to anyone? Thinking

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:13 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Makes a lot of sense for drag racing.

And for fairly close range regular commuting.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Makes a lot of sense for drag racing.

And for fairly close range regular commuting.

I'm sure someone went through the costs before, but if you are looking at Zero prices you will have to do an awful lot of commuting to break even with a 125 or scooter.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:51 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

See sig... that goes for the OP too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:30 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm sure someone went through the costs before, but if you are looking at Zero prices you will have to do an awful lot of commuting to break even with a 125 or scooter.

But, but, we'll have really cheap electric bikes any day now.

Actually, they do have them in China. Lead-acid scootays for doing short hops through congested traffic seem to be the big thing at the moment. Perfectly viable for that purpose.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Oh absolutely not - they are too expensive to be cheap and too heavy to compete for short-circuit off road or supermoto fun. (Though of course in our NIMBY age do have the big advantage of being very quiet, so you could reasonably run electric event days on days that you aren't allowed to run ICE vehicles due to noise restrictions.)

However, something like that recent £2k or so glorified push bike has potential I think - ideally maybe to bump the top speed up to a real 40mph, which is pretty easy/cheap.

Or of course the DIY route - think in that previous one I linked to road legal converted push bikes selling from £1k.

I'd still like to add a electric hub motor to something like a CG125 for very cheap commuting - the hub motor would, say, work up to 30mph, then you'd be back to the ICE.
So for all the slow traffic light stop-start in town you're purely on electric (unless you want a bit of extra go), but if you want a longer trip or hit some faster roads you don't need to have a massive electric motor and battery and can refuel the ICE as normal in 30 seconds.

Last edited by G on 11:28 - 13 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

See sig... that goes for the OP too.

What are insurance prices like on the Zero? What level of motorbike do they band it with? 250, 500?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

But, but, we'll have really cheap electric bikes any day now.

Actually, they do have them in China. Lead-acid scootays for doing short hops through congested traffic seem to be the big thing at the moment. Perfectly viable for that purpose.

Short hops being 10 miles? 20 miles? and then still got the charging problems of lugging a heavy battery up to your flat in the evening for charging. Just can't see people in UK going for it.

As I said before/in another thread if I was going down those lines....

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/oTAAAOSw4GVYINto/$_86.JPG
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4