Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

EU licence, insurance companies, imported motorcycle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: EU licence, insurance companies, imported motorcycle Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
nice to be connected to you.
I have an EU licence that I obtained in Italy.
Been trying to find a coverage for my bike, that was insured in Italy originally and imported to UK last september, Honda CTX700.
Gone through all test over here successfully and has been registered.
Now the crazy thing is finding a company to insure it.
Apparently many won't insure a bike that isn't produced here (only the bigger version, 1300cc is on lists), then others won't insure bikes not kept in garage in the London Area, others won't accept over seas NCB. And finally many don't accept EU licence too...
Now... does anybody have any experience with such situation?
I got a bike waiting for me to be picked up and apparently no insurance companies can insure it! I am wordless...

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:02 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame them for not wanting to insure a bike not kept in a garage in London, they'll be expecting to pay out on the premium for theft within a week.

If there is any company where only this is the deal breaker, look into renting a garage or lockup?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bikesure, they were the only company that could find/had my bike listed.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, BikeSure do actually seem to be bike insurers rather than generic listing merchants.

SophR so good wrote:
they'll be expecting to pay out on the premium for theft within a week.

A CTX700 might prove the exception to the rule that pikeys will nick anything.

MrC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:13 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Try bikesure, they were the only company that could find/had my bike listed.

tried, they won't accept grey import.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:29 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First issue I suspect is residency.
If you are a resident in the UK for long enough to register a bke here, then you shouldn't have an Italian EU driving licence; that should have been surrendered to UK's licencing authority on application of a UK issued licence with a UK address on it.
You would run foul of pigeon-box rained insurance companies in the UK on that one, just for wanting to insure a bike registered at a different address, even with a UK driving licence; say you were a student and driving licence had your parents address on it, and you wanted to insure the bike at your term time accommodation..
This niggle may need to be sorted first ad get the addresses macthing.

Beyond that... there are plenty of non-uk market bikes in this country residents don't have 'that' much trouble insuring.... problem is again pigeon hole brained money-men, worse computers programmed by pidgeon-hole brained money men.... and the 'drop-down' menu...

You are going to tell me you are a banker now aren't you? Wink

I have bee told that one of my bikes 'Doesn't exist' by an insurance Co before now.... 'cos not in their computer....a 1981 Spanish Montesa.. that was a genuine UK market model... I know because it has an aluminium petrol tank, when rest-of-world got glass-fibre, in order to meet then current UK C&U regulations; it was also sold and registered 'as new' by the franchise dealer in 1981... but they only sold about 250 of them, and the marque didn't sell many other bikes at all, so never made it onto the data-bases..... My O/H had similar issues with her Chinese made AJS, as that too wasn't on the data-bases at the time, and the more clued up folk she had to deal with tried to convince her she was a 'silly woman' and AJS hadn't made a new bike for forty years, SHE must have it wrong.... and suggested that it was a Yamaha XJ and she was must have got the model muddled!

So this isn't an uncommon issue.... especially with less common machines, whether because they are old, uncommon or simply obscure and sold only in limited numbers.

Practically, its down to the main-stream insurers being geared to main-stream bikes; they have the stats for them, they are relatively known risks, anything out of the usual then is something they would have to work a bit harder to risk-assess, so you would probably have to pay that bit extra for the 'risk' they get it wrong, if they will want that work for your business anyway.

So the answer is, 'sorry', but bascally, get off the get, get on the telephone! Talk to real people, and find one of the more accommodating insurers who will cover bikes outside of the main-stream.

Carol Nash used to offer policies for home-built 'specials' customs and hybrids not in the data-bases, as well as classics of less certain origins... that would probably be my start point.. but google for the telephone numbers, use the phone, talk to real people, and do it the old fashioned way; you will find 'some-one' that will give you a policy.. probably wot be 'cheap' but some-one will offer one.

Garage issue? Common small-print requirement for bikes, and not just London; they in this country now so often 'occasional' leisure implements rather than commuter equipment, and they are notoriously stolen from the street this country. Again, there are companies that don't insist on garages, but expect to pay more when you find them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MrC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:58 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
First issue I suspect is residency.
If you are a resident in the UK for long enough to register a bke here, then you shouldn't have an Italian EU driving licence; that should have been surrendered to UK's licencing authority on application of a UK issued licence with a UK address on it.
You would run foul of pigeon-box rained insurance companies in the UK on that one, just for wanting to insure a bike registered at a different address, even with a UK driving licence; say you were a student and driving licence had your parents address on it, and you wanted to insure the bike at your term time accommodation..
This niggle may need to be sorted first ad get the addresses macthing.

Beyond that... there are plenty of non-uk market bikes in this country residents don't have 'that' much trouble insuring.... problem is again pigeon hole brained money-men, worse computers programmed by pidgeon-hole brained money men.... and the 'drop-down' menu...

You are going to tell me you are a banker now aren't you? Wink

I have bee told that one of my bikes 'Doesn't exist' by an insurance Co before now.... 'cos not in their computer....a 1981 Spanish Montesa.. that was a genuine UK market model... I know because it has an aluminium petrol tank, when rest-of-world got glass-fibre, in order to meet then current UK C&U regulations; it was also sold and registered 'as new' by the franchise dealer in 1981... but they only sold about 250 of them, and the marque didn't sell many other bikes at all, so never made it onto the data-bases..... My O/H had similar issues with her Chinese made AJS, as that too wasn't on the data-bases at the time, and the more clued up folk she had to deal with tried to convince her she was a 'silly woman' and AJS hadn't made a new bike for forty years, SHE must have it wrong.... and suggested that it was a Yamaha XJ and she was must have got the model muddled!

So this isn't an uncommon issue.... especially with less common machines, whether because they are old, uncommon or simply obscure and sold only in limited numbers.

Practically, its down to the main-stream insurers being geared to main-stream bikes; they have the stats for them, they are relatively known risks, anything out of the usual then is something they would have to work a bit harder to risk-assess, so you would probably have to pay that bit extra for the 'risk' they get it wrong, if they will want that work for your business anyway.

So the answer is, 'sorry', but bascally, get off the get, get on the telephone! Talk to real people, and find one of the more accommodating insurers who will cover bikes outside of the main-stream.

Carol Nash used to offer policies for home-built 'specials' customs and hybrids not in the data-bases, as well as classics of less certain origins... that would probably be my start point.. but google for the telephone numbers, use the phone, talk to real people, and do it the old fashioned way; you will find 'some-one' that will give you a policy.. probably wot be 'cheap' but some-one will offer one.

Garage issue? Common small-print requirement for bikes, and not just London; they in this country now so often 'occasional' leisure implements rather than commuter equipment, and they are notoriously stolen from the street this country. Again, there are companies that don't insist on garages, but expect to pay more when you find them.

Thanks for finding the time to answer,
as a matter of fact I have been on the phone for two days
searching and most of all talking. at the moment only Carole Nash said they might, (but only might!) be able to do something only if I get a full UK based licence, which I'm actually applying for in this moment.
Garage? I'll end up asking my neighbour to use his or buying a damn bicycle. It's very depressing considering I've just spent over a grand to get it converted to the UK regulations.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Can't blame them for not wanting to insure a bike not kept in a garage in London, they'll be expecting to pay out on the premium for theft within a week.

I can when they load your policy even though you don't have theft cover. That's why my bike lives in an invisible garage Whistle

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
+1, BikeSure do actually seem to be bike insurers rather than generic listing merchants.

They are brokers but not underwriters.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:52 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
SophR so good wrote:

I can when they load your policy even though you don't have theft cover. That's why my bike lives in an invisible garage Whistle

Actually you do.... just not for your loss due to theft... they cover the BIKE for all 3rd-Party loses... so even if some-one steals it, and crashes into a Bentley full of kittens, the Ins-Co have to pay their losses; in the scheme of stuff, the price of the bike you might get back if nicked is rather insignificant.

And now you have just admitted, on public forum, to committing insurance fraud, making false declaration to obtain cover... so what insurance you have probably is't worth the paper, as even though they would have to pay any 3rd party for damage done with your bike.... they can then sue you for their losses (and costs!) for exposing them to that risk by deception!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1