Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tv wall mount and covering the wires.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Tv wall mount and covering the wires. Reply with quote

Apologise this has maybe been done before it's BCF so who knows. Anyway I'm settling into the new home and want to put the tv in the front lounge on the wall above the fire. Now I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what mount to go for. I'll be looking at 42-50inch tv size.

Also anyone that has managed to mount a tv above the fireplace how have you covered up the wires. Any possiblity of a photo Question

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:54 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire covering.

Easy/lazy way is to run it in conduit glued to the wall.

What you could do is mount a faceplate in the ceiling with the plug socket, antenna and various HDMI/sound/whatever leads then run those down to a duplicate faceplate wherever you'll be keeping your various DVD/digital/gaming boxes.

That's how I connected my projector to the DVD/Playstation etc.

So projector:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/CIMG0769.jpg

Cables in conduit:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/CIMG0770.jpg

Backing plate to connect devices to projector:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/CIMG0771.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:56 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably not do it above the fire, but your call.

Cable wise, hiding them can be easy, through trunking or you can make them look pretty sick my tacking to the wall in a cool format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:31 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above the fire place? Shocked

Heat issues aside it doesn't seem like it'd provide a comfortable viewing angle.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the walls solid or plasterboard? If boarded it's a piece of piss to cut a pair of holes and thread in a piece of flexible conduit (more points awarded if you manage this on a protruding chimney breast though).

Alternatively, show the wires. Get some 1/4" copper tube, thread the wires in and bend to geometric patterns. Maybe even jazz it up with some LED strips.

Example:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/a4/9e/86a49ee5ffc6193c0f61cdf866c78bd3--gag-cable-management.jpg

The normal way to do this is by fixing the cables to the wall with glue, but then you've ruined both wall and cable.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one on my Sony bravia

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003U46SWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

but it only cost £6.99 in 2015

Pic was when I first put it up after a little Jedi smash a 4 months old 50 inch screen that was on the stand in the pic, to hide the wires I use a piece of rounded trunking that comes out to the left and then down the side of the chimney breast and behind the shelves.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bite the bullet, dig out a trench going up from the floor, put conduit in and plaster it back over again. If you dont feel confident doing it a plasterer will be able to give you an unnoticable finish for a hundred notes. With the conduit in you can replace /add cables to your heart's content when it comes to upgrading etc.

Even paying someone to do it, done properly the first time you won't need to go through it again or having 2 grand worth of telly look a bit shit with the cable dangling.

Second the positioning, above fire is not ideal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you use conduit large enough to get the ends of the cable through it. Unless you are happy making your own cables.

Also consider buying an amp, then its 2 cables to the tv, power to the to and single hdmi from the amp, everything else goes to the amp (unless you need an aerial lead to).

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p69359?table=no

I've used the smaller version of these several times. No complaints.

Tv's above a fireplace are not a good idea if you're planning to use the fireplace. Also it's preferable to have the tv at eye level-ish when seated.

Cabling. You can either go.for fully hidden which will mean channeling out the wall, or you go for aesthetically unobtrusive surface trunking of some kind. I haven't used trunking so can't advise on that one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:23 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah. If you'r eprepared to make you room light-controlled. Projector.

Then you can project onto a screen mounted above your chimney breast. Mine works out at the equivalent of an 84", 1080P TV. Had it 6 years now.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/CIMG0772.jpg

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked wall mounted tvs. I find them to be a bit too high for comfy viewing. And also, you still need somewhere for set top boxes.
I managed to pick up a really lovely oak tv stand on offer from what was 'branches' in Bristol.

Regarding the cables, I love the idea of making a feature of them, that picture looks cool.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I've never liked wall mounted tvs. I find them to be a bit too high for comfy viewing.

It is possible to wall mount a TV and not put it at a ridiculous height. Razz

The one pictured in dydey90's post looks good.

There was an awesome thread posted by LukeVFR about building a home cinema complete with a fake wall so the TV could be flush with that and everything else was also concealed behind the fake wall. It all looked very tidy. Thumbs Up

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the long reply had a kinda major problem at the house all sorted now. I've decided that above the tv in the house isn't going to work. So going down a different route that should look a lot better.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front external wall?

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Front external wall?

Nope that's fine the gas fire had a leak with a dodgy corgi tester that left the fire away from the wall and the pipe slightly undone. Hence breathing in Carbon Monoxide. Now been capped so that's all sorted.

If you are ever local come around and you can see for yourself the wall and front roof is fine. The leading needs replacing as it was done badly. But roof and walls are fine.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:52 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant mounting the TV on it Laughing was only playing.

I'll probably pop in at some point buddy.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found Pinterest useful in the past for coming up with different ideas for this type of thing.

I know your going down a different route, but its useful for different DIY ideas.

New house
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1