Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Laptop Bluray Drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:07 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Laptop Bluray Drive Reply with quote

Last year I bought a new laptop, an MSI GE62 2QF.
It had everything I was looking for, except for a Bluray drive.

I know physical media is old-hat and all, but I have a lot of Blurays and I'd like to be able to play them on the laptop.

So I'd like to upgrade the existing DVD drive to a Bluray drive, but I don't know if its more complicated than buying a new drive, taking the old one out and putting a new one in...

Initial searches seem to suggest there are 9.5mm and 12.7mm thickness drives, so first stop is to check the one I have.
After that are there different types, are they plug and play, will I need drivers...

I'd prefer not to spend on a new drive then find it doesn't fit/work.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Laptop Bluray Drive Reply with quote

pudder wrote:

So I'd like to upgrade the existing DVD drive to a Bluray drive, but I don't know if its more complicated than buying a new drive, taking the old one out and putting a new one in...

Buy this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Internal-Blu-Ray-Sata-Optical-Drive-BD-ROM-CD-DVD-DVDRW-For-Laptop-Notebook-/272572533893
Turn laptop over.
Remove 1 screw
Slide out dvd drive
remove fascia from dvd drive
put fascia on blu ray drive
slide new drive in
put screw back in.
send me nudes.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no product specs on that one you linked.
If I'm right that there are different thicknesses, surely I need to check with seller what I'm going to get?

Software wise, Leawo seems to be mentioned in various places.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptop optical drives are a standard size, much like how hard drives are a standard size.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

12.7mm drive

9.5mm drive

Scan seems to have two different thicknesses listed. Are you saying a 12.7mm will fit in a bay that previously housed a 9.5mm drive?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:

Slim

Ultra slim

The clue is in the name.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

Slim
Ultra slim
The clue is in the name.

The existing drive is ultra slim.
Who knows what that one on eBay is.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are struggling this much with something so simple I suggest you take your laptop to pc world and ask them to do it.
In the time it took you to reply to my last post, you could have sent the ebay seller a message asking for more info.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
If you are struggling this much with something so simple I suggest you take your laptop to pc world and ask them to do it.
In the time it took you to reply to my last post, you could have sent the ebay seller a message asking for more info.

Sent a message about 4 hours ago. No response as yet, but gut feeling is that its going to be 12.7mm

PC world don't sell them, and would likely just suggest an external drive.

We both know I could chuck £80 at it and have one delivered tomorrow, but I was hoping to get one under £50, specially as I'm still not sure if there might be driver problems.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:39 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone ever plans to do the same, it's nearly as simple as CaNsA made out, just you have to make sure to get the correct thickness drive.

Check existing drive first.
- 9.5mm Ultra slimline
- 12.7mm Slimline

Take old drive out, swap fascia, plug new drive in.
I installed Leawo blu-ray player software (free), and it seems to work no problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1