Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Password manager... reccomend me!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Password manager... reccomend me! Reply with quote

Any suggestions for a decent password manager that will work across Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 and ideally Android mobile.

Also looking for it to work as a general 'password bank' for other stuff - though Putty and mysql workbench integration would be a bonus.

I've tried a few popular ones suggested on the internts; and they've often seemed to be no better than the browser's inbuilt options!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 PasswordPal.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastPass is the only really viable option. But it grips my shit on a daily basis. I think if you let it go, it might be ok. But ParanoidStuntman doesn't do that very well. I have the plugin on one browser (Chrome) and merely use it as a bank to store stuff when I need it from Firefox. When I do use it on Chrome, it gets it right about 70% of the time.

On android, it is about 40% right. I mean, it pops up with every login box, but it sometimes doesn't fill it, or fills with the wrong one if you have multiple entries for the same domain. (like, webmail.something.com and intranet.something.com)

And their support is guff. I pay for it at work, and they have zero interest when you tell them someone has managed to remove a password in a shared folder.

But, as I said, it's the only real candidate.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget LastPass, KeepassX is where it's at.

Open source, secure and can be syncd with OwnCloud and there are Android clients that'll sync.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with KeePass, use it as my password bank on PC, not currently in a browser and KeePass2Android on mobile. With Google drive as the folder location for them all.
I do use lastpass as well on PC in my browser but I like to have multiple saves and backups for my passwords. I have many, many, many passwords.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used LastPass for a while, found it borderline useful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:27 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KeePass with the database file on dropbox.
Keepass2Android on my phone.

25 character gibberish password memorised.
I have the password written down in two secure places in case I potato myself and lose my memory.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keepass: Use it on PC and Android. It works, decent search, you can set up a key combination to enter passwords into websites or application windows. You can sync to the cloud but I use DropBox to sync my Keepass file.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

Open source, secure and can be syncd with OwnCloud and there are Android clients that'll sync.
+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:47 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
I have the password written down in two secure places in case I potato myself and lose my memory.

Genuinely laughed like a lunatic at that last bit too much Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:50 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using LastPass for about 4 years now and can't fault it generally, sometimes it struggles to realise you need it to fill in some user/pass boxes on some websites but it's quite rare.

What's the advantage of using Keepass with the database file in the cloud? I have been using Keepass on my local machine for many years too but was unaware you could host the db file on a cloud service and it act like Last Pass and fill in user/pass boxes on sites?

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keypass in the cold means you have access from anywhere, on local machine leaves you stuck when you can’t remember your massive password for BCF whilst being noshed off my a whore in a Travelodge.

KeeWeb May be a better alternative.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

Yep, KeepassX
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1