BCF: Bike Chat Forums

September 2017 new registration statistics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree. I work from home more often now than I did 3 years ago certainly. It's where I get some of my best work done, too; in between masturbation sessions, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Sales of rail season tickets, are also starting to fall at least around the south east

That's probably more to do with Oyster zones being extended out and the rail companies not making season tickets worthwhile any more. I haven't had a season ticket in a couple of years now and the missus ditched hers off this year too - we're door to door on Oyster. By the time you take your holidays, the odd days off sick, journeys off site etc out of the mix it's very little in the difference.

Agree with that. Also it can work out as cheap or cheaper to get shorter tickets. A friend who works in London has 40 days holiday a year, Add in 52 weekends that means almost half a year in days wasted on a season ticket.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
M.C wrote:

I dunno about that. Getting a bit tin foil hat here but I don't think they like the masses moving about, they'd rather we all stayed within a 40 mile radius of home, and in the case of cities never left. If the future's electric (which means no more long road trips), that'll suit them just fine.

Polarbear wrote:
They are a cash cow in so many respects.

So is smoking, until everyone's in hospital with emphysema.

The governments love of cars is from the money making side, nothing else. Car sales tax, road tax, insurance tax, traffic fines, parking fines, congestion charges, petrol tax, etc. etc. The list goes on.

As for smoking, I read that the government makes way more in tax than it costs the NHS. This bears it out but then puts a price on other aspects of smoking. Quite interesting.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

I don't doubt they're milking it but they seem to be discouraging vehicle ownership, especially in towns and cities. I think it'll be reserved for the wealthy in future along with air travel.

You kind of hope people's health/lives would transcend revenue but nope smoking's still here Rolling Eyes

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:52 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These figures could be a sign of continued austerity being part of the story. We have people in employment using foodbanks, 1.7 million on unstable zero hour contracts and no proper pay rise for public sector workers since 2010 I think - unless you're an MP, naturally.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other stat news... Visits to dentists with cracked teeth are on the increase as people opt for "Posh Popcorn" as a healthier snack alternative to crisps.

Kerrcchhing for the Dentists. SO why aren't Harley sales increasing?
(..... duck and cover .. \)

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:17 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the increased working at home. My company policy is ‘agile’ working with desks for 50% of the headcount.

Shame bike regs are down no chance of me getting a decent 2nd hand bike anytime soon!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2