Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF125... STILL won't start...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:25 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: CBF125... STILL won't start... Reply with quote

Okay, same old story...

Bike cut out on the GF on her way to work. She got it going again once, then it died again within a mile and won't start again.

It turns over, there is a minor rumble and sometimes it almost sounds like the engine is taking a little slack off the motor, but never actually starts.

The bike will bump start, but has notably poor power, and will die again as soon as you let the revs drop under about 4k or drop the throttle under about 1/3.

We have had the injector out and noticed the spray pattern looked a little heavy, so we replaced the pump. this has made a big difference and the injector now emits a fine mist and projects it much further. as I would expect.

We have checked the plug it seems in good order, with a strong spark.

Ive checked valve clearances but have no other means to check compression other than a finger, it's got some compression, but no was to know how much.

Any idea's what to check next? Its only done 1000 miles, though it was stood for a while its done 500 of those miles recently so its not like its got stale fuel or seized :-/

Getting pretty fed up of this bike now and really desperate for a solution, ferrying her to work in the car is expensive on fuel.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: CBF125... STILL won't start... Reply with quote

kal9001 wrote:

We have checked the plug it seems in good order, with a strong spark.

replace it with a new NGK item .. irespective of how old it is or how many miles it has not done .. purchased from a reputable dealer..
..that means not off e-bay.. or any other fcuk wittery nob end seller..

spark plugs tent to die quickly in small cc single cylinder bikes...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the battery?

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Have you checked the battery?

Battery is fine, its running everything normally and cranking well. Its also fairly new battery as the origonal one had dies after the period of storage. new one has been on for about a month ~500 miles.

Ill try the plug change... Like I say its sparking well, so I can't see how it wouldn't be good enough but it should only be a few quid to replace so its worth a shot.
Another suggestion is that the last refuel may have just been utter shite and to try with a fresh tank. Ive never heard of fuel not burning before though... It definatly stinks of petrol and evaporates like it... it wouldn't fire off me spraying propane or carb cleaner down the throttle body ether, which I thought may at least make it sputter.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming, im at my wits end with this thing, will try the plug next, is IS the original one, so its probably made of pot metal and and old dinner plate, about the same quality as the rest of the bike -_-

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the exhaust system breathing/clear?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:07 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore this, he's a fuckwit

jaffa90 wrote:
Is the exhaust system breathing/clear?

Sounds like fuel starvation, which is rare. I'd normally say it'll be electrical.

However, take the fuel cap off, try and start it.

EDIT: Just noticed that you are getting a nice spray from an injector. Ignore the above. Look at timing of the cam chain and the pickups for ignition and injector.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fuel starvation, which is rare. I'd normally say it'll be electrical.

However, take the fuel cap off, try and start it.

EDIT: Just noticed that you are getting a nice spray from an injector. Ignore the above. Look at timing of the cam chain and the pickups for ignition and injector.

Well that covers everything!

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:36 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, with the old pump it looked like it was chucking fuel with a bucket. so we though it was that. Changed the pump, and in the process had to swap the fuel lines too as they felt like they were made of cheese and pretty much disintegrated :-/

So... I have no means to properly check the ignition timing, As for the valve timing, had the rocker cover off and checked valve clearances, again no feeler gauges but it feels like what you should expect (I've had experience building (and breaking) beetle engines) At the same time I can see and feel that the cams aren't doing anything bizarre, the rockers are working, the chain is still on, and turns freely without any noise, there is wet oil around the inside so it is feeding oil up into there.

If its an electronic issue then it has to be timing, the coil and plug do appear to work, though I will try swapping the plug as suggested anyway, but I can't check the actual ignition timing any way, but then how could that so off so badly it won't start, but then close enough it will bump start :-/

Compression is my other thought, if a valve or valve seat may be cracked, or a piston ring has annihilated itself O.o cross that bridge when we get to it.

As for the exhaust system... I could try running it with the pipe off, but I don't think thats the issue, there is noise coming from the tail end, and a small puff of air... oddly though, there doesn't seem to be a strong smell of fuel in what comes out. but fuel is defiantly going in...

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would beg steal or borrow a compression tester. I did when I had similar turned out to be scored bore. I think last year I paid £12 quid of Amazon. With modern honda PGM engines if the lights not showing it a sign of mechanical problems in my experience of doing up a variety of modern abused honda PGM 125's. Or poor fuel in 45 years of cars and
motorbikes I only come across 1 case of crap fuel.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:14 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the compression test. If it's low I recommend checking/adjusting the valve clearances as they will probably be tight.

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:18 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:
Do the compression test. If it's low I recommend checking/adjusting the valve clearances as they will probably be tight.

Already checked the clearances, think I mentioned it. They feel as good as I can tell without a proper feeler gauge.

Update is... swapped the plug, no difference, swapped the fuel no difference, dropped the oil and no bits came out, just surprisingly clean oil... And then.... drum roll....

Randomly took out the air filter, though it looked fine anyway... and surely it's not an induction problem as I would expect it would have started when we tried simply aiming the injector down the intake bore that one time... but alas... with no filter in it it fires up, put the filter back in and it dies. seems though the filter LOOKS okay, the paper material has gone stiff like that crappy chipboard they give you to put on the back of wardrobes and stuff and probably about as permeable as it...

So its still not 100% happy as it won't idle properly, it will tick over for 5-10 mins then just putter out. Tiny blip on the throttle and it springs back to life for a 30 seconds then same again... Its like a bored child :-/ though as shes now riding it again the problem seems to be slowly going away, my guess could only be a stuck IAC valve/motor that's slowly working its way free again now its being used once more.

Now I have that nagging issue.... am I happy its back on the road, or am I annoyed that all of this bollocks was all just over a god damn stale air filter!!!

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal9001 wrote:
Already checked the clearances, think I mentioned it. They feel as good as I can tell without a proper feeler gauge.

...with no filter in it it fires up...

Sorry, it was really late and my comprehension skills were failing me!

Glad you got it (mostly) sorted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1