Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice on working abroad.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Advice on working abroad. Reply with quote

So, here's the crack.

In an unusual and unexpected twist, my three years at University have landed me with a couple job offers. One is working for the beer company I did a placement with, whilst the other is with the deVere group.

The second job effectively give me the option of working in most major financial centres and I'm obliged to work abroad for 1 year in the first 3. I'd probably end up staying longer. I've narrowed it down to one of the following;

Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Shanghai
New York
Moscow
Singapore
Hong Kong
Sydney.

Has anyone on here got an insight into working abroad in these places, specifically Shangai, Moscow, Dubai or Abu Dhabi? I've never done it and I want to know a bit more about housing, visas, citizenship, licenses, language barriers, tax etc. I've got at least a year, so I'd ideally want to pick up a bit of the language as well. Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin), Russian or Arabic really open doors in this sector.

Thanks!
A.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:13 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any of the places you listed but having dealt with the tax side of things, the residency test for the UK is not so simple any more. It certainly isn't black and white but as the UK's tax is so high compared to some of the places you have listed, it is worth investigating whether you will qualify as a non-resident. It is almost impossible if you only go for a year but the benefit of not paying UK tax whilst abroad can be immense.

I am in a country with no tax on income or capital gains which has worked out really nicely with my income and crypto investments.

Any visa stuff should be sorted by your employer and if not, I would be very weary. Same with housing and stuff tbh but it depends on your contract and how your particular company works.

Language barriers are a pain but most of the world speak English. I have had to deal with translators before which is whole world of fun.

I am not a fan of travel as much as I thought I was and will be returning to the UK most likely at some point but the ability to make bank is far greater than back home so if that is the opportunity that has presented itself, go for it. Experiencing different cultures is never bad, even if you don't enjoy it at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:56 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for shanghi personally.

Which of those is going to be the biggest player in the future?

Moscow just makes me think organised crime, middle east stupid laws, big family/tribal stuff.

China is bent and corrupt too but I don't get the impression that the connections are already sewn up. Plus it will be a bigger player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Devere Group, read then run a mile and kindly accept the job with the beer company, seriously run a mile, Devere is a cold calling telesales job with poor wages and long hours, and much much pressure, they 'sell the overseas bit' but in reality you'll be in a windowless office and be so far off your targets that you will be forced to work long hours, overseas is good for them as it avoids regulations, both in the products they offer (saving schemes with huge admin costs) and the lack of a working time directive etc.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:18 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the job but if I had to pick it would be Sydney then Singapore/hong kong/Shanghai, I have a brother in each country and all of them enjoy working where they are but my youngest brother is in Sydney and said he will never come back to the UK to live.

Parents worked in Abu and Dubai and would never go back, Abu is too hot, very backwards and boring unless you in a compound and then your just in a wired mini america.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas101 wrote:

Moscow just makes me think organised crime, middle east stupid laws, big family/tribal stuff.

Do you know where Moscow is?....

I think you need to study some Geography Laughing

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:47 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:
mas101 wrote:

Do you know where Moscow is?....

I think you need to study some Geography Laughing

I think in fairness he was saying Moscow = organised crime, whilst the middle east = stupid laws etc...

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:51 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Google Devere Group, read then run a mile and kindly accept the job with the beer company, seriously run a mile, Devere is a cold calling telesales job with poor wages and long hours, and much much pressure, they 'sell the overseas bit' but in reality you'll be in a windowless office and be so far off your targets that you will be forced to work long hours, overseas is good for them as it avoids regulations, both in the products they offer (saving schemes with huge admin costs) and the lack of a working time directive etc.

It's a fair point. I'm under no illusions regarding the hours and the pressure, it's just is it worth working basically 7 days/week for a few years to establish myself in the industry. Money is basically all commission based so yeah, the nominal wage isn't great, but the earning potential is pretty good. Still, something to consider

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

It's a fair point. I'm under no illusions regarding the hours and the pressure, it's just is it worth working basically 7 days/week for a few years to establish myself in the industry. Money is basically all commission based so yeah, the nominal wage isn't great, but the earning potential is pretty good. Still, something to consider

If you're money driven, then the gulf states aren't a bad shout if you get your head down, plus tax free. My cousin keeps staying out there as he gets new offers that he can't turn down. Bought himself a few houses back here and some exotic cars, but not sure I'd want to live in such a backward place.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be lured into a job as a Sex Slave in some middle-east state.

Moscow is ££££££ mental expensive. Make sure you get a commensurate per diem if you have to 'live' in it. Basically, Russians are in general fcuking weird like most folk from behind the curtain are. Weird as in backward.
Think Russian Orthodox and their 'Pop' music.

China probably isn't too bad as the people are respectful of others but it is touched by toxic corruption in almost everything.

Singapore is nice but again it can be expensive.

I mean expensive if you want to live as an Englishman in New York but if you want/are expected to live like a local then it may be cheaper. But it is all comparative.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Don't be lured into a job as a Sex Slave in some middle-east state.

Moscow is ££££££ mental expensive. Make sure you get a commensurate per diem if you have to 'live' in it. Basically, Russians are in general fcuking weird like most folk from behind the curtain are. Weird as in backward.
Think Russian Orthodox and their 'Pop' music.

China probably isn't too bad as the people are respectful of others but it is touched by toxic corruption in almost everything.

Singapore is nice but again it can be expensive.

I mean expensive if you want to live as an Englishman in New York but if you want/are expected to live like a local then it may be cheaper. But it is all comparative.

Base salary is basically living expenses, but it does depend on location. In Shanghai, I'd be looking at about £25K base, whilst in New York or Singapore its closer to £40k. I think generally you get more spending potential as it were in cheaper locations, but it's not really a deal breaker. Same is living in that Lahndan in the UK really, just less chavs and crime. I'm told they cut the hands off motorbike thieves in Dubai...

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:47 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

FWIW I would never consider moving abroad for a commission based job unless the base salary was really good. That seems like such a big hassle/risk for not very much reward.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

Base salary is basically living expenses, but it does depend on location. In Shanghai, I'd be looking at about £25K base, whilst in New York or Singapore its closer to £40k. I think generally you get more spending potential as it were in cheaper locations, but it's not really a deal breaker. Same is living in that Lahndan in the UK really, just less chavs and crime. I'm told they cut the hands off motorbike thieves in Dubai...

Best of luck getting a 'basic living' in New York for 40k, or does the firm throw in an apartment on top of that?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you are considering working for Devere suggests you are under illusions, they’ve done the selling job on you, played to your greed, they tried it with me a couple of years ago following a redundancy, tried to sell me overseas working, I was 48 years old with 2 teenage daughters, its a numbers game for them, read the Glassdoor reviews, ignore the positive ones, they’ll be written by the company, you are young and probably think you can last the pace, will work hard etc etc etv, when I was tour age I thought i knew everything too, seriously bud, take the job with the beer company, dont waste your degree.

asta1 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
The fact that you are considering working for Devere suggests you are under illusions, they’ve done the selling job on you, played to your greed, they tried it with me a couple of years ago following a redundancy, tried to sell me overseas working, I was 48 years old with 2 teenage daughters, its a numbers game for them, read the Glassdoor reviews, ignore the positive ones, they’ll be written by the company, you are young and probably think you can last the pace, will work hard etc etc etv, when I was tour age I thought i knew everything too, seriously bud, take the job with the beer company, dont waste your degree.

I just skimmed through Glassdoor for them as well.

All the pro ones sound faked. All the con ones sound real and seriously unhappy.

As said, run a mile.

However, Shanghai Thumbs Up HTH

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore is a wonderful wonderful place to live and work, but not on 40 grand. I was there for a year doing refits in various dockyards. I lived in a 5 star hotel, the Shangri La https://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/shangrila/ because it wasn't much more expensive than a good downtown apartment and I had a large expense account. Cool

Yes you can get cheaper if you go 'local. but you won't find it very nice.

As for the middle east, fuck that place....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/british-scottish-man-hip-tourist-jail-accidentally-touching-hip-bar-dubai-jamie-harron-stirling-a8013846.html

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:59 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, consensus seems to be it isn't very attractive in most places for the monies paid and that the commissions payment are perhaps not the golden goose I had thought. Fair 'nuff, I'll keep looking for other things over the next few months, but at this stage, beer company it is.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanghai is a fantastic place to live. The Chinese people are very welcoming and the whole Shanghai culture is swinging. Never a dull moment. Living there is not so expensive I think I was paying 14000rmb a month for my huge apartment on the 34th floor. Food is cheap and plentiful and all the modern conveniences if you need them.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:
Shanghai is a fantastic place to live. The Chinese people are very welcoming and the whole Shanghai culture is swinging. Never a dull moment. Living there is not so expensive I think I was paying 14000rmb a month for my huge apartment on the 34th floor. Food is cheap and plentiful and all the modern conveniences if you need them.

14000 not expensive? Laughing

I do hope you mean 1400. Otherwise I think I'll stay here paying 700RMB for my large modern apartment in south Chengdu.

Well it's 2200/month between three of us. Not quite 14000 either way. A price like that would be absolute madness, money well and truly lobbed down the drain.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I do hope you mean 1400. Otherwise I think I'll stay here paying 700RMB for my large modern apartment in south Chengdu.

Well it's 2200/month between three of us. Not quite 14000 either way. A price like that would be absolute madness, money well and truly lobbed down the drain.

Just checked my old contract from 2012, I was paying 134000rmb/month. We are talking central Shanghai, in a beautiful complex. I was living in a hotel before then and by renting an apartment I was saving the company money per month. I even put my monthly invoices in for 16750rmb so was able to pocket the difference lol.
Sure you can live for less, I was lucky as my company paid for all.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Try not to enter in to discussions about finances with those on Expat packages.

It will make you sad first, and bitter second Laughing

Not jealous at all Mr. Green

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
. Not quite 14000 either way. A price like that would be absolute madness, money well and truly lobbed down the drain.

Shush you some of us own those kinds of places and rent out to suckers like him Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
. Not quite 14000 either way. A price like that would be absolute madness, money well and truly lobbed down the drain.

Shush you some of us own those kinds of places and rent out to suckers like him Very Happy

Lol, looks like we all made a bit of cash on the side then. Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who works in Dubai, and has done for many years - he's fairly happy, though does it for the money because there's sod all to do there. Its expensive and flat and sandy and hot. But he's putting on weight from all the time he sits and drinks in his spare time. Rolling Eyes

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/deVere-Group-Reviews-E402768.htm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2