Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen Bikes/Peds In That London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Were you wearing your helmet cam' btw?

I was wearing it but it wasn't turned on. Charging the battery for it every other day with the longer commute I have now was starting to get tedious. Didn't deter them in any case, and nor did they try and remove it from my helmet.

I'm thinking of a Ninja 250R or CBR250 etc.; a geared bike so less useful to thieves, and (hopefully) not particularly desirable either.

And yes, that's the biggest loss, the loss of freedom to ride what you want where you want. I've seen groups of balaclava'd scooterists wandering around Tottenham of late, but almost want to ride a bike that will get stolen but can be tracked to catch the offenders.

Decoy bikes with trackers are the only way these guys are going to get caught, it seems, if they continue not to be chased. The policewoman who took my statement stressed that she'd be personally liable for dangerous driving should she try and chase a scooter.

arry wrote:
I would have serious reservations about the ride into London, TBH.

Honestly, I don't think I'd resist as much next time - there's no winning, if you escalate they'll escalate, and they have nothing to lose. But I can't do with public transport on my commute.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I would have serious reservations about the ride into London, TBH. I know I know, the benefits of it, the time saving, the convenience - but the guy's just got jacked and assaulted; who is to say the next time there won't be something melty involved despite Amber's best efforts?

Depends. I knew someone who used to take cabs everywhere because he once got mugged Neutral I think take steps, be it extra security when parked up, and maybe think about your choice of bike but if you stop riding they have won.

barrkel wrote:
Decoy bikes with trackers are the only way these guys are going to get caught, it seems, if they continue not to be chased. The policewoman who took my statement stressed that she'd be personally liable for dangerous driving should she try and chase a scooter.

I posted a few pages back how I saw a marked police vehicle not even bother to pursue an off-road bike (when the guy had a helmet on). The police have created this problem IMO, they place the safety of criminals above that of the public.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The IPCC have created this problem IMO, they place the job safety of the police below anything.

FTFY! Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
M.C wrote:
The IPCC have created this problem IMO, they place the job safety of the police below anything.

FTFY! Thumbs Up

Word. Most coppers of my acquaintance want to do coppering (yes, there are exceptions). But they can't do that if they're sacked, banned and/or jailed for dangerous driving.

The IPCC isn't fit for purpose. It's anti-police enough to stop them doing the job that most decent folk want them to do, while not being rabid enough to placate Dead Dindu's mum. Nobody's happy with it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the IPCC stop the police from turning up when your house's burgled?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, we're talking about bike crime aren't we?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Hang on, we're talking about bike crime aren't we?

Is that not theft? The police aren't fussed about any sort, muggings, car crime etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

They are also under-resourced.

But we're specifically talking about why they don't pursue #BahkLayf even when they encounter them, and that's down to them personally being on the line for the consequences.

You'll find plenty of reports of cops fighting the good fight being cleared of dangerous driving, true, but the message that they'll take from that is that they're likely to be prosecuted for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

They are also under-resourced.

But we're specifically talking about why they don't pursue #BahkLayf even when they encounter them, and that's down to them personally being on the line for the consequences.

You'll find plenty of reports of cops fighting the good fight being cleared of dangerous driving, true, but the message that they'll take from that is that they're likely to be prosecuted for it.

One glaring similarity with the Henry Hicks case (which's still going on), it was an unauthorised pursuit*, which AFAIK isn't a bike specific thing.

*they're still debating this (it was on the local news tonight).

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Word. Most coppers of my acquaintance want to do coppering (yes, there are exceptions). But they can't do that if they're sacked, banned and/or jailed for dangerous driving.

Exactly the same words the police said to me both times I was stopped.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:58 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"Chowdhury was sentenced to four years and 10 months after admitting handling stolen goods.

Parkinson, from Islington, was sentenced to five years and three months for robbery.

The 16 and 15-year-olds - who cannot be named for legal reasons - were both jailed for four years and two months."

Mr. Green

Just a quick note that they'll serve between 7.5 and 9.6 days per offence, or less if they abscond from an open prison.

Still, I'm sure they'll have learned their lessons, and won't get caught as easily next time.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:10 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking pieces of shit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:12 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Fucking pieces of shit.

Well, two of them aren't grown men.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:
Fucking pieces of shit.

Well, two of them aren't grown men.

I heard one of them lives under a bridge

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued trickles of news down here in Birmingham, seems theft is a common talk of conversation now and everyone seems to know someone that's been effected in one way or another.

Car jackings on the rise: Audi's and Ford Focus RS (the new ones?) are the most targeted cars. The Focus, it seems, has an easy key-less override that thieves are exploiting. The Audi's are more a Solihull issue due to wealth in the area.

Since my encounter with the five yobbo's on three peds that eye'd up my bike while locked up I haven't really ridden enough to acknowledge them. Encountered a couple of yobbo's in hoodies stopping traffic on a dual carriageway so they could make away from the supermarket car park to a side road (beside a park) and off into the sunset.

City centre (Brum) seems to be getting worse. I had a chat with a lad recently (who could talk for England) that gave me a list of bikes he'd seen around. Said he'd been approached at a set of lights by some youths thinking he was byklyf because they'd watched him take the same route before (no idea how that relates). Although, in saying that, this is the same lad that pulled up beside a random scootay to talk at a set of lights: not really the done thing since theft is now more common (I get a twitchy arse if I sense someone behind me regardless).

Was only in city centre (Brum) for ten minutes the other day when I walked into a book shop, mooched around and then got into a lift whereby two yobbo's then walked in and noticed me (didn't really care to speculate if being followed or not) and walked away (further into the store) once we'd had a moment of stare off. I giggled because was making my way back from garage and had neither bike nor keys on me, tards.

Call me overthinking the entire theft thing but I don't even buy new jackets or gear like I used to because they're all dead weight that I'd struggle to shift at half the price of new if the bike got stolen. Seems pointless to invest a penny more into anything other than petrol until the wave of theft dies down.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got bikekjacked, Monday 16th at 6.30.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4506867#4506867
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a punt I guess...

Dear Mr Cruddas and Mr Khan

My name is Chris Brown, I am a member of Jon’s constituency and I voted for both of you. I work in the Shoreditch and commute via motorcycle, I have done so for 10 years. Put bluntly I am now frightened going to work and am considering arming myself to do so, this is down to what has been dubbed ‘moped crime’. Aside from the MANY videos on YouTube of people being ‘bike jacked’ by what appears to be feral teenagers armed with acid/power tools/knives/machetes, in the last 2 days 3 members of a motorcycle forum I’m on have been bike jacked 2 in London 1 in Bristol. Whilst I enjoyed the film ‘Mad Max’, I do not want to live it. I have seen these ‘packs’ blasting round the city on my commute, they are easy to spot, they don’t stop for Traffic lights and are often not wearing helmets and have no number plates. Can you imagine the fear? You see this pack all you can do is pray they don’t head towards you with acid, machetes or worse. This is what I can experience just trying to go to or from work.

Having this happen to people I know brings it far closer to home and it frightens me, 3 in 2 days! To top that off recently a good friend of mine has his bike nicked and burnt from outside his flat, he lives by Hornchurch Station. I have read that more motorbikes are stolen in the UK than are bought new, how has it been allowed to get this bad? The police seem to be completely ineffectual, many of the perpetrators are showing off on social media yet remain at large and unbothered by the law. I saw one force ticketing nice looking motorcycles at a meet, the message taken from that is “lock it up because we can do naff all useful”.

The REAL kick in the teeth for me personally, is the ULEZ coming in which means I will be FORCED to buy a newer motorcycle, this will make me an even larger target for the thieves. I understand it is to lower pollution I’m on board with that. However the diesel spewing black cabs are exempt! According to the consultation, motorcycles produce LESS than 1% of the pollution and Black Taxis 18%. Good to see the environment in only a concern until a strong union is involved…

I commute via Motorcycle, because it is cheap, quick and reliable. My bike is a 2002 model. I do my own maintenance and my bike is in very good mechanical order. I have used it for the past 10 years and, aside from the odd puncture, it has never let me down in the ~100,000 miles I have put on it. I am not pleading poverty I cannot easily afford to buy a more modern machine. I feel applying the ULEZ to motorcycles will disproportionately affect those less well-off and will make many motorcyclists more vulnerable to bike theft.

I would like to know…

o What steps are the police are being taken to actual catch and deter these criminals?
o Is anything changing with regards to sentencing of these criminals? From what I have read, sentences seem to be ~8 weeks and a driving ban. They’ll be out in less than a month. The only thing a driving ban does to a thief is make it harder for them to go straight.
o Why motorcycles are being included in the ULEZ and Black Cabs not?

While I am not clued into the details as well as yourselves or the police would like to see happen. I am happy for you to reason with be as to why this is not feasible, it is obviously not my area of expertise.

o Undercover operations, have cop ride a nice bike/scooter around the hot spots with support to arrest the thieves when they strike.
o Tougher sentences for thieves especially when violence is used or they have stolen multiple bikes
o Motorcycles excluded from the ULEZ.

In short, I’m 30, I’m a homeowner, I’ve not had a fight since I was in school, I have always either been employed or in education. Other than a few speeding tickets I’ve never been in trouble with the police, I am an upstanding citizen and I am seriously considering arming myself to try to get to work in the capital city. What the fuck is going on?

Yours Sincerely,
Chris Brown

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Worth a punt I guess...

Yours Sincerely,
Chris Brown

Is it cynical to think that the most likely outcome of that is the Popo visiting you to threaten you into not carrying a weapon? Laughing

If you are sending that, you have a few typos towards the end though.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:02 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
What the fuck is going on?

<applause.gif>

Very well put, sir.

I would note that sentencing has been soapy-shouldered to the hoodie-huggers at the https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/ precisely in order to stop politicians meddling in it.

The most immediately effective solution to that would be to do ride-bys on some CPS big-wigs, magistrates and judges. Whistle

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:09 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motion sickness warning...

https://www.facebook.com/simon.alexander.1272/posts/10155817066557630

and so the revolt begins! or lets hope so.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

Video says nicking bikes but IIRC that one was an attempted robbery on a jewellery shop that, so I read, had two people caught.

Same crime wave, suppose.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
natefz6 wrote:

Video says nicking bikes but IIRC that one was an attempted robbery on a jewellery shop that, so I read, had two people caught.

Same crime wave, suppose.

Clapping Dance! Clapping

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of related.

Henry Hicks officers cleared Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/c9yVUDw.png

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Worth a punt I guess...

Yours Sincerely,
Chris Brown

Is it cynical to think that the most likely outcome of that is the Popo visiting you to threaten you into not carrying a weapon? Laughing

If you are sending that, you have a few typos towards the end though.

Probably, last time I chased potential bike thieves (at 2am wearing just a pair of boxers and wielding a hammer) the rozzers seemed more interested in trying to get me to self incriminate myself for running round with a hammer than investigating / apprehending the fucking scumbags trying to steal my bike. Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 16 of 36