Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 1200 - Rattling Disc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Bandit 1200 - Rattling Disc Reply with quote

A mate of mine has just bought a 1200 Bandit, on a ride at the weekend we noticed that one of the front discs was rattling Shocked

All of the rivets (the parts that hold the outta braking surface to the inner gold disc) will turn quite freely....I've told him this is bad an he's gonna get a replacement at the weekend.

what causes this though, I've never seen it before
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bandit 1200 - Rattling Disc Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

what causes this though

mudcow007 wrote:
A mate of mine has just bought a 1200 Bandit

edit: I have one too, big suzuki rust machine. Lovely fun but expensive to maintain to a decent level. And very rattley.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not mean it is a Floating Disc?
The disc 'floats' on the rivets to allow for miss-alignment then the pads can grab it better.

This is not a fault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the LHS disc doesn't move, but the RHS does.

Could it just be the LHS are stuck?

On my 600 the brakes didnt move etc.

Just found a pootube clip thats shows exactly what its like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=f8gy1-ECESQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are floating discs and fully floating discs. The former have a spring washer under the rivet that prevents the disc from moving laterally unless some effort is applied. The latter have no spring washers and can move quite freely - I have these on the front of my M900.

It's possible that the LHS disc has become stuck on the rivets in which case, brake cleaner and a bit of elbow grease with a brush will free it. Or it may be that the caliper on that side isn't as free as it should be...

Tokico 6 pots, just saying like. Laughing

ETA: That Youtube video shows a fully floating disc. Perfectly normal. My M900 sounds like a skeleton tap dancing in a biscuit tin when you wheel it around. Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I good way of freeing them up is to put a bolt through the rivet with a washer either side then put a nut on it and tighten it up. Once tight it will turn the rivet freeing it.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it's actually the disc rattling, and not the pads moving around in the calipers?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you rotate the disc on the carrier more than a couple of mm? If so it's fucked and needs changing. Suzuki discs are prone to this. I once sweated some solder into a couple of the rivets on a bike I was selling that needed an MOT but I wouldn't recommend it on a bike I was riding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1