Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone app that identifies caller?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Phone app that identifies caller? Reply with quote

On site this week I had to give my mobile number to the crane supervisor - a guy I had never met before. I read out my number and he tapped it into his Galaxy S8, called me then said my full name. I said "Huh? How did you get my name?"

Apparently the S8 comes bundled from O2 with software that identifies (or tries to at least) both incoming and outgoing calls. He said it's about 80% successful.

Anyone know what this app is called? I want to get it for my phone.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Phone app that identifies caller? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
On site this week I had to give my mobile number to the crane supervisor - a guy I had never met before. I read out my number and he tapped it into his Galaxy S8, called me then said my full name. I said "Huh? How did you get my name?"

Sounds handy for spammers Neutral

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Phone app that identifies caller? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Apparently the S8 comes bundled from O2 with software that identifies (or tries to at least) both incoming and outgoing calls. He said it's about 80% successful.

Anyone know what this app is called? I want to get it for my phone.

Well given we have 3 02 phone's in our house. Not one has anything like that.

Best guess, he already knew you name and was having some fun with you.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My S8+ also does this, just came pre-installed with the app (I'm on EE - I don't think it's carrier-specific), if an unknown number comes in it pops up any information that it can find. I'm a bit sceptical about it returning info for a personal mobile though, unless you have it visible in some sort of online directory?
It's a service called Hiya - you can probably install it on anything.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://hiya.com/privacy

Quote:
What We Do With Your Contacts

After we access your Contacts, we store them securely in an encrypted format so that we can match the information with numbers from the incoming calls on your phone. We also match your Contacts to information already in our database so that we can provide the most accurate caller ID service to all of our users.

So, if anybody who has my name and number in their phone signs up to this service, then it will snaffle MY details and add them to Hiya's database that will be made available to all of it's users? Whilst end users would only see it as a look up, the privacy policy allows the to share all data with their "affiliates". Nice.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's encrypted, so totes safe.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I had no idea it did that with my contacts. I don't recall agreeing to that, but I probably did...
(I assumed that it just did internet searches on the number)

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err that's a feature of Android 7.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:58 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TrueCaller. It does the same thing.
If someone has submitted their number to the database then it'll show. Alternatively, if one of your friends has submitted your number by calling it using TrueCaller (or an alternative) then it'll show too.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having this enabled on my S7 Edge, would pop up information like "spam advertiser" or something when a number I didn't recognise was ringing.

That Hiya privacy policy is very interesting. If you think about it though, every users phone is a treasure trove of information on their contacts. Smartphones these days link all our social media profiles and everything to a contact in a phone.

People who don't give a shit about privacy and install anything and everything (and that's a lot of people unfortunately) are basically giving away my private information (that they have saved in their phone contacts) to these company's, even if I don't... that's one way of doing it!

I also just recently read a BBC article on people calling out some Facebook ad exec about them listening to people's microphones and serving ads based on what they were talking about. He denied Facebook have ever done this but my bro and I were talking about this about a year ago and he had been talking about some really obscure stuff, never searched for it and suddenly he started seeing all these ads for them within days.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an app called Sync.ME on Android, partially for the ability to sync my contacts from my Google Account to that of Facebook (for profile pictures etc), but it also comes with a very handy Caller ID function, it is generally pretty successful to flagging up spam calls which i can just cancel straight away

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Truecaller as well.

Seems very reliable at identifying companies and spam.

And does a good job with most people too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1