Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro breakdown cover

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Euro breakdown cover Reply with quote

I'm just shopping around looking for a standard UK breakdown policy at the moment. However, I'm planning on taking the bike to mainland Europe within the next 12 months and will certainly want to have cover for that, which I know will be a separate purchase.

Question - is it worth me looking at any specific breakdown companies now with this trip in mind; as in, can I save any cost on my EU cover by picking the right company for UK cover now? Do any of them just extend your existing cover temporarily for a nominal sum? Or is it (as I suspect) simply a case of shopping for a completely different policy when I do go overseas?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:22 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only planning on a single trip abroad then a separate policy should cost you around £25, depending on the number of days away. This compares with, roughly speaking, an extra £50 loading from someone like Carole Nash for cover during the year and will give you several trips.

With any policy, carefully check what's covered. Most policies will include roadside assistance or recovery to the nearest garage but also look for repatriation conditions - eg many policies won't get your bike home if the value of the bike is less than the transportation costs. Of course, not all conditions are clearly displayed on web pages and you'll have to read through the t&c's first to see exactly what level of cover you are buying.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often cheaper to get single trip cover from somewhere like Eurobreakdown rather than AA or RAC, even if you have an existing UK cover. As long as your bike is under 15 years old it's easy and cheap enough to do.
Other and better options are out there if you travel regularly or use an older bike. Cover through your bank, bundled with a current account for example, which is the way a lot of us have now gone.
The more complicated option is using the German equivalent of the AA which is ADAC. About 60ish Euros a year for Euro cover in/on any vehicle, any age. It's comparatively hard work to join and leave though due to German idiosyncrasies.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded mine through the AA .. the German adac cover is very difficult to obtain .. i gave up ..
AA single trip cover will only cover a single breakdown and there are different zones within europe .. they will ask where you are goin .. the policy is actually with another provider .. within the AA.. they put you through when you ask..
If you are goin a number of times a 12month policy was about double the price ...

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
I upgraded mine through the AA .. the German adac cover is very difficult to obtain .. i gave up ..

You just phone the Munich head office, ask for someone who speaks English and pay by credit card. It's cancelling the membership that's more difficult because that can't be done over the phone.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

You just phone the Munich head office, ask for someone who speaks English and pay by credit card. It's cancelling the membership that's more difficult because that can't be done over the phone.

twice i phoned .. first time i got through .. as soon as i asked ..in english .. i got cut off..

the second time i phoned the English line ... wouldn`t do it over the phone ... had to send details .. includin bank details ... in an e-mail..

and the price was no better than extendin my AA cover....

not worth the effort quite frankly..

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADAC all the way. covered in uk* and all over mainland europe for any vehicle of any age (including towing trailers and caravans) for 80 euro.

includes repatriation, hotels if they decide someone local can fix it, and a courtesy car for onward travel if they send your vehicle home.

*they subcontract to AA in the UK. so if you have particular issue with AA, like lots do, then might not be for you.

Last edited by ocatoro on 11:30 - 29 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Matt B wrote:

twice i phoned .. first time i got through .. as soon as i asked ..in english .. i got cut off..

the second time i phoned the English line ... wouldn`t do it over the phone ... had to send details .. includin bank details ... in an e-mail..

and the price was no better than extendin my AA cover....

not worth the effort quite frankly..

I called the paderborn office, because there's a huge british military presence around there, and the lady spoke better english than most people in the uk.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

I called the paderborn office, because there's a huge british military presence around there, and the lady spoke better english than most people in the uk.

yeah no as big as it once was....still most of them gettin pissed on "the strip" .. and into the private club..

but the snell imbiss were nice ...

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely check the smallprint, I got stung like this.

Bike broke down in France, I was recovered back to a hotel for the night and the bike went elsewhere. I was told that I would be picked up the following morning at 9am to take me and the bike to a dealer for repairs. The helpful receptionist called the recovery guy at 10 who said that he hadn’t been paid and my breakdown company didn’t give him the go-ahead to take the bike elsewhere. I eventually (after multiple calls) got moving at 3pm by which point it was too late to get parts ordered.

Long story short I organised transport of my bike home myself by courier company (£600) as all my recovery company would do was pay for me to fly back out to collect the bike myself. It was a two day ride from the other side of France and I don’t get that much time away from work. They said that repatriation could only occur if the bike was worth enough and the guy I spoke to implied that it wasn’t.

Pay peanuts and all that Rolling Eyes

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Definitely check the smallprint, I got stung like this.

Bike broke down in France, I was recovered back to a hotel for the night and the bike went elsewhere. I was told that I would be picked up the following morning at 9am to take me and the bike to a dealer for repairs. The helpful receptionist called the recovery guy at 10 who said that he hadn’t been paid and my breakdown company didn’t give him the go-ahead to take the bike elsewhere. I eventually (after multiple calls) got moving at 3pm by which point it was too late to get parts ordered.

Long story short I organised transport of my bike home myself by courier company (£600) as all my recovery company would do was pay for me to fly back out to collect the bike myself. It was a two day ride from the other side of France and I don’t get that much time away from work. They said that repatriation could only occur if the bike was worth enough and the guy I spoke to implied that it wasn’t.

Pay peanuts and all that Rolling Eyes

interesting insight... definitely worth checking.

but if you're on about ADAC, theyre the 2nd largest breakdown company in the world. and the only cover worth having for a brit is the top level one. which is still only 80 or 90 euro... so wouldn't say the peanuts adage applies to them to be honest. when i was researching, the caravan club seemed to be the biggest source of info on them in the uk, and there were many many many very happy folks who had been sorted no issues. which is usually the opposite of the way feedback works with forums.

but... as I haven't actually needed to use them, your experience is obviously more extensive than mine.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll only be doing one Euro-trip next year, or at the very most, with a following wind, a second short one, so looks like buying a bespoke overseas policy at the time is the way forward for me. Have gone with Autoaid now for my UK policy Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

interesting insight... definitely worth checking.

but if you're on about ADAC, theyre the 2nd largest breakdown company in the world. and the only cover worth having for a brit is the top level one. which is still only 80 or 90 euro... so wouldn't say the peanuts adage applies to them to be honest.

That’s nice, but I’m not talking about ADAC. Im talking about a company that offers single trip European policies.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1