Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, this Addblu stuff...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:14 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Electrical gremlins with a Citroen Thinking

Yeah. But the Toyota Proace and a couple of others are effectively the same vehicle.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic handbrakes are also inconsistent across vehicles - some release themselves when you drive off, some don't. I've been sat in a car with the engine off when it started to roll - the handbrake hadn't applied itself. I tend to drive a lot hire cars, so see that the manufacturers haven't come to a consensus in how many of the new toys work. For handbrakes give me a big lever on a mechanical ratchet anytime. Some things you want to know absolutely what is going on.

Another hate is electronic indicator stalks that return to centre immediately after they've been pushed. So cancelling means either push again in the same direction (which may also retrigger them if they've just cancelled, or set them to be on constantly rather than the three flashes your previous short push triggered), or flick in the other direction (which may make you indicate that way instead). You can see why BMW drivers can't be arsed figuring out how to use them. With the traditional lever you knew what it was doing, and how to stop it, rather than having to follow a flowchart that differs between manufacturers.

DRLs are another hate, especially as those together with a permanently illuminated dashboard lull so many people into driving at night without proper lights on.

The one thing I do like about modern cars is that they (usually) fire up straight away regardless of the weather. You don't hear every car on the road cranking slower and slower on damp mornings.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat in my architects 2017 S3 for a bit yesterday, was pretty awestruck by the multi display set up. Was pretty cool stuff
but I wouldn't want the repair bill if it stopped working.

https://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/advanced-technologies/virtual-cockpit.html

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the other problem with them. Imagine what they'll be like in 10 years time - car needs scrapping because the LCD display fails and it's not cost effective to replace.

I was in one brand new car (yes, French) where the whole infotainment system crashed when I just joined the motorway. Everything went blank, and as everything in car was driven off the touchscreen I couldn't do things like turn the ventilation fans down (they were on full blast to clear some condensation as I'd only just started off) or turn off the radio that had turned itself on.

Whilst nothing actually safety critical failed, that was a major distraction trying to figure out what was going on, if it was safe to carry on to the next exit/services or if I needed to pull over there and then.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That is the other problem with them. Imagine what they'll be like in 10 years time - car needs scrapping because the LCD display fails and it's not cost effective to replace.

I was in one brand new car (yes, French) where the whole infotainment system crashed when I just joined the motorway. Everything went blank, and as everything in car was driven off the touchscreen I couldn't do things like turn the ventilation fans down (they were on full blast to clear some condensation as I'd only just started off) or turn off the radio that had turned itself on.

Whilst nothing actually safety critical failed, that was a major distraction trying to figure out what was going on, if it was safe to carry on to the next exit/services or if I needed to pull over there and then.

TBH I worry about that for my bloody bike. It's an electronic gizmo lovers dream. LCD display, computerised ABS, traction control, cruise control, electronic suspension, remote tyre pressure readings, heated seats & grips, electric windscreen with memory position....etc,etc.

Nice to have while it is all working Rolling Eyes

Just looking at the spares prices is heart attack area and second hand spares are pretty rare because it has never been a big seller for Triumph.

I'm tempted to trade it in for something simpler and more popular before it bites me in the arse but I will lose a shed load and I do love riding it.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:09 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bamt wrote:

TBH I worry about that for my bloody bike. It's an electronic gizmo lovers dream. LCD display, computerised ABS, traction control, cruise control, electronic suspension, remote tyre pressure readings, heated seats & grips, electric windscreen with memory position....etc,etc.

Nice to have while it is all working Rolling Eyes

Just looking at the spares prices is heart attack area and second hand spares are pretty rare because it has never been a big seller for Triumph.

I'm tempted to trade it in for something simpler and more popular before it bites me in the arse but I will lose a shed load and I do love riding it.

This is a trend seen everywhere technology has a role to play. I used to think it would lead to greater standardisation and modularisation, but apparently that was just the naivety of youth Sad

Its more of a problem in work machines than in toys. Most motorbikes are toys/tourers and the market is moving to accommodate that. In those circumstances, having the bike out of operation for a couple of weeks because it takes 6 hrs to get it apart in the first place (for the hobbyist) or the immense repair bills, outweigh the lack of creature comforts and fun bits.

Running a bike as a work machine or commuter changes the calculus a bit, which I presume is why there is still plentiful parts for older/simpler machines. Sadly the inevitable march of progress will rob those of us on the back side of the bell curve of the ability to bike cheaply.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recirculate the ammonia fumes into the back of the van and use it to fume treat oak furniture.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:17 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Superb has all of these features, electronic handbrake with hill control, Radar guided cruise control etc etc etc - all the toys in the VAG group technology sphere.

All of it has worked so far without issue. The only downside to the radar cruise is when others are being erratic on the motorway it likes to keep its set distance.

But I agree, I would not want to be responsible for the cost of the repairs to these systems when they begin to fail hence my penchant for leasing new cars these days... 2 years, under warranty and hand the thing back to be someone else's problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I have cruise control on my Trophy and had it on the later Goldwings I owned. I tried it to see if it worked and promptly forgot about it.

https://i.imgur.com/5O6ruZW.gifv
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Paddy Blake wrote:

I was walking to the shop one evening and just before I got to a driveway a VW passat rolled out across to road and into a wall.

I find that quite unbelievable tbh.

All electronic handbrakes turn on automatically when the engine is turned off.

There is more chance of a manual handbrake malfunctioning through wear and tear than an electronic one.

Seems it does happen a few of them.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/50314-Passat-Handbrake-Failure

After more reading it seems the discs are hot when the electronic handbrake comes on then after they cool and contract it can fail.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:

You're in for a shock if you try a Volvo anytime soon, cause I can tell you it certainly doesn't on my V60!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
JonB wrote:

You're in for a shock if you try a Volvo anytime soon, cause I can tell you it certainly doesn't on my V60!

Neither does my XC60, or the A5 that we have.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:04 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure a 2012 Astra doesn't either.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Pretty sure a 2012 Astra doesn't either.

Is that an option? Driven a 2014 (iirc) model a fair bit and that had a normal handbrake.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:52 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure - 2012 Astra Estate.

At a guess, it's a mid-level trim.

Possible it was removed as there was reports of it also being automatically turned off after the engine was turned off!
(And indeed this may well have happened to the one in question - though I do find it easier to forget with the switch myself - however I only drive it occasionally.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3