Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

daly2834
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike? Reply with quote

I've done a search on here and see alot of people saying they can fit their bikes into small vans such as a Berlingo or Combo, but no pics to back it up. Personally I don't think its possible without removing wheels or lowering handle bars etc.

As I'll be buying a YZ250 soon, I also want to buy a small van to transport it to tracks and such.

Just wondering which small vans can hold a 250 size bike without lowering the handle bars everytime or removing the wheels.

I'd appreciate if someone could post pics of a 250cc MX bike or bigger in a small van. Thanks Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:14 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably far too tall for a small van like that. A SWB van will do it, I know of a van that has fit a CR125, a KTM 200EXC, a CBR125 and a mini bike in there. Yeah, it was tight, but it fit.

Older Vito or something along those lines. Failing that, trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike? Reply with quote

Caddy maxi should be ok for one bike - would have thought you'd struggle with normal height versions.

What are the reasons for keeping to a small van?

daly2834
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:34 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Ideally looking for small van, mainly because I have no where to store a trailer. But also because I live in the Netherlands and road tax is based on the weight of the veichel instead of engine size.
So a large van would not be very economical.
So I want the bare minimum really and petrol engine (diesel is expensive to tax here)
Don't want to go for anything bigger than a Peugeot Expert. But if it fits in something smaller then happy days!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Transit T350 swb and you'll get away with it for carrying one off roader IMO.

Don't buy or hire a fucking Vito it's not full van sized, and I had a massive fail trying to transport a Kawasaki 125 in one.

High roof 16plate Transit was a breeze, and is a great van to drive and then some IMO. In my 20years of driving vans, I really think up to 3.5ton that Ford do it way better than anyone else!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:29 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably had 100s of bike-journeys* in my old SWB vito. The KTM 690 I had to take the mirrors off and some others I've had to fold them down, but other than that, it's been fine.

*ie one bike being transported between two places as it's been up to three at a time.

Don't need transit sized unless particularly big bike, or want to fit three mid sized bikes in (though still a bit of a squash - the Boxer I've now got is a bit wider than a transit so will do better for three.)

Something like a Berlingo -

Quote:
Ideally looking for small van, mainly because I have no where to store a trailer. But also because I live in the Netherlands and road tax is based on the weight of the veichel instead of engine size.
So I want the bare minimum really and petrol engine (diesel is expensive to tax here)
Don't want to go for anything bigger than a Peugeot Expert. But if it fits in something smaller then happy days!

Ah; makes sense then.
Had you considered a towball mount? To be legal (presuming similar laws to the uk) you would probably need a 4x4 and some still aren't listed high enough.
(It's the nose weight you're looking for and 100kg should just do it presuming you are talking a 2 stroke.)

Also worth considering is you can get collapsible trailers that you can take apart and will store in the boot of a car or under a bed etc (presuming you've got somewhere to store the bike, should be able to store said trailer.).

Or; if cars are taxed differently; how about a people carrier like a Ford Galaxy or similar?

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:16 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a SL 125 and a C90 in my Doblo, easily. Low floor for ease of loading, 70 inches to the seat backs and a 48 inch floor to ceiling height iirc Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike? Reply with quote

daly2834 wrote:
G wrote:

Not that it helps you at all, but I shall be riding to Netherlands next year on my Honda CRF250L Laughing

daly2834
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:30 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Which small vans can transport a 250 MX bike? Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Not that it helps you at all, but I shall be riding to Netherlands next year on my Honda CRF250L Laughing

Haha enjoy your trip mate!! Should be fun!! Thumbs Up

If anyone has pics of 250 size bike in smaller vans please let me know. thanks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1