Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any interest in a Z250A twin?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories
View previous topic : View next topic  

solemnwarning
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:12 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Any interest in a Z250A twin? Reply with quote

Let me spin you a tale of woe... back in 2013 I bought a Z250A twin with the intent to get it running and on the road as my daily rider by the summer. Bloke span it on the starter to prove it wasn't seized and said it probably just needed a new condenser, blinded by youthful optimism and some nice stories about these bikes I parted with £400 and soon had it delivered to my mum's front garden.

I rapidly set about giving it a quick strip down and decided I should deal with the rust and give it a new coat of paint... won't take long, right?

With the frame/etc nearing completion I finally got the engine out of storage and compression tested it... 80psi in one cylinder and zero in the other.

Oh dear.

Stripped that down and found it had done the z250 party trick of overdone epoxy flaking off the rotor, clogged the oil pickup and made the camshaft bearings self destruct. One of the valves was jammed open too.

Welp.

A couple of donor engines and a load of parts scrounged up from dusty shelves of Kawasaki dealers all around the country later, and now I think I have a good engine!

Stuck it together, fixed up the electrics, etc... and it starts!

Although it didn't run happily, and after a short while it gave up, refusing to start again.

Around this point my situation changed, I moved out, the 250 wasn't a practical bike for me any more and I didn't have the time to work on it, so it sat under a cover in that same garden for a while, with occasional visits by me to poke at it, but no serious work.

Fast forward to yesterday. I fitted the rebuilt (again) carbs and fed it fuel from a clean bottle rather than the original tank... and it runs! I think some shit from the tank got in there and clogged something up.

Still need to find the airbox rubbers, then set the carbs up properly, but I don't think it sounded too bad for an engine that isn't set up right and has holes in the exhausts: video.

So, once I've done a few outstanding jobs (clutch, probably brakes, maybe tank), would anyone be interested in buying it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1