Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 gear shifter seal leak...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Maynerz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:01 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 gear shifter seal leak... Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time posting on a bike forum so apologies in advance if this had already been answered and I haven't found it.

I have a 2016 Yamaha YBR 125. I'm reasonably mechanically savvy (well as much as you can be on a 125 motorbike).

Recently I took the cover off where the front sprocket and gear shift shaft sits to change the front sprocket and washer. I noticed that the whole area was very gunked up and there was a considerable amount of thick "sludge" like oil flicked over the engine casing where the chain would of caught it and splattered around. There is also some of this gunk lightly covering the side stand just below it.

I'd cleaned up and examined the area and it would appear it is the gear shaft seal which is the culprit as it looks to be weeping. I have ordered a new seal as there only a few quid.

My question is how would one normally replace the gear selector seal on a bike? I have found videos for other bikes but not a ybr 125, where they just pry the old seal out and pop in the new one...

Is it this simple?

I don't want to have to remove the whole gear selector shaft as I believe this would involve removing most of the engine casing and pinions and what not.

I also want to avoid Yamaha dealers as I have had really poor work done by them in the past.

Any answers would be much appreciated!

Cheers jack. [/b]

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack

Yes it "should" be that easy , just watch you don't catch the inner lip of the new seal on the shaft when refitting.

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to pry the old seals out with a bradawl making sure to not touch the shaft or outer casing, last one i did was using slim plasterboard screws after making two holes (top & bottom) with the bradawl.
Also as said the shaft has to be smooth so as not to damage the new seal, i used a coating of oil or grease on the shaft and seal.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:04 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 125 gear shifter seal leak... Reply with quote

Maynerz wrote:

Recently I took the cover off where the front sprocket and gear shift shaft sits to change the front sprocket and washer. I noticed that the whole area was very gunked up and there was a considerable amount of thick "sludge" like oil flicked over the engine casing where the chain would of caught it and splattered around.

It's chain lube thats been flicked off the chain.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure the seal has gone? If oil was weeping from the seal you would be getting drops on oil on the ground.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thick gunk is chain lube mixed with road dirt flung off of the chain. It's a good idea to clean it out periodically as it can be abrasive. Thumbs Up

Once you've cleaned it out, you can keep an eye on the seal but I'm betting it isn't actually leaking.

Maynerz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:42 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I usually clean it out every few months as it's my commuting bike. I give it a clean and put some talc on it and monitor it!

Cheers guys!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1