Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Air compressor.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Air compressor. Reply with quote

I'd like to get an air compressor but I don't know a lot about them tbh. I want something that's fairly quiet and at a reasonable cost. Usage would be primarily for nail guns ( they appear to need 70-120 PSI ) and a blowy bit to blow out sawdust.

I've never used one, so any usage tips would be helpful too Smile

Any recommendations for the compressor?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

70psi should be more than enough for just about anything. Pretty sure you can run a plasma cutter on that.

It will be loud and it will be expensive to run.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.5bhp 25 litre one. It was reasonably expensive but it replaced an Aldi one that was stolen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a little 6 litre electric compressor, good for changing my own tyres and cleaning shit off of shit, will put out about 110psi but wont last long, fills pretty quick but its far from quiet.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small 8 litre one that will run air nailers, inflate tyres etc, but is noisy as hell, and has to run a lot. I have run a couple of small cfm air tools off it, but it doesn't really like it much.
I got it second hand off ebay and it is somewhat portable (heavy, but you can carry it).

I reckon a 25 litre small compressor will cover your needs without breaking the bank.

I also hacked together an old 50 litre gas cylinder and fridge motor to make a low current draw compressor for use in my lock up with my small generator. It's near silent, doesn't bog the genny down, and works well for airing up tyres and blowing out dust etc.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank size is very important, or they just run out of air, whatever your pressure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
The tank size is very important, or they just run out of air, whatever your pressure.

So is your air pipe diameter if running tools.

I have a 25 litre one from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which but it's a Parkway brand and was under £100. It's absolutely fine for 90% of what I need and the other 10% I have proper power tools for. It would certainly do what you want.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just thrown away a portable compressor, it was getting on my tits, just sitting there all orange an shit plus every time i went in my shed i wacked my shins on the fucker

I know this doesn't help you at all, but it makes me feel better. Carry on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the one i`ve got
...https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIR-COMPRESSOR-5-7-230V-LITRE/dp/B018KAE854/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510048270&sr=8-1&keywords=6l+compressor&dpID=41PhdweiUpL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

its not quiet though and i only use it for tyres..
bought because the tire inflator burnt out doin my transit van`s tires
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:03 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford a quiet one, go for it. It might well have a bit less grunt than a similarly-priced normal one, but your eardrums will thanks you for it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these earlier this year

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-tiger-11510-2-5hp-50-litre-air-compres/

My previous compressor had a crack in the con-rod part as well as a badly scored piston sleeve,so would not generate the pressures that I was used to,hence the strip down to ascertain the problem.

At about the same time that my old one,which I had owned for many years,went u/s I had one of those VAT free day cards through the door from Machinemart and so on the relevant day I popped down to my local shop near Sidcup and,thirty minutes later,I had a new one in the back of my car and was on my way home.

I not only use the compressor for installing new tyres and topping up existing fitted ones,but also to pressurise my grit blaster and my air tools.The 1/2" air ratchet works much better now Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go down the second hand route for a compressor. I fitted my own tyres, but always put off having a compressor, as I felt £120 for the 25 litre ones weren't worth it due to not being certain if they could handle certain tools. The larger ones were too expensive for not knowing if air tools were for me.

I ended up getting a second hand stanley air compressor for £50. It's a 2.5hp, 25 litre one. Now I have it, I definitely see myself upgrading in the future and getting a fair few air tools.

Main maintenance things are:

drain the tank every use (easier with an easily opened valve sort of drain) The drain is at the bottom.

Change the oil as per the manual (maybe every year?)

If it's belt run then you might need to eventually change the belt.

Don't run it on an extension lead (I'm guilty of this, but I'm going to get myself a long hose!)

and as previously pointed out, I would wear ear defenders when using it. It's a good habit to get into when using certain tools too.

Here's a good video of why you should drain your tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQH4FrhDvY

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the shitty thin coil hose that came in one of the cheap accessory kits and it improved the power but my 25l tank isn't big enough for sustained high cfm tools.

Whatever you get, go for the biggest tank possible. Chuck a horse blanket over the top to dull down the noise but beware of blocking off the cooling fins etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1