BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield 650cc twin spotted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiences will vary though. It went Upmarket, Dodgy Dan, Friendly Local around here (so far...), and that's the inherent problem with being beggars rather than choosers when it comes to the retail experience.

Given the massive sales of Enfield, they could and should invest in a proper fully owned or at least franchised dealer chain like Triumph or BMW. Perhaps one of the Adams could give them a few pointers about running a successful global business?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it this is all up to date on the eurobollocks? I can'r see it stated anywhere.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:25 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be, they Bolloxed up (on paper at least) the 500s in a timely fashion, much to my amazement. I can see an ABS ring on the rear disc on the 650s.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a mate's just put a deposit down on an Interceptor.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love the old 700/750 push rod engine in a Rickman or similar frame alot more!

But as a new bike it looks like a cut price Bonneville, and if it's lighter and simpler it might have an advantage over the Bonnie, if it's as well made and put together.

Thing is though will the build quality be up to Kawasaki W800 standards, which many people always said was a better bike to ride than the Triumph. I think the current big Triumph twins have lost their way in many ways too.

And Kawasaki having discontinued their decent selling W800 had maybe seen that the retro twin scene has peaked now, as their new retro bike looks to be Z900 based, but pulling hard on the pretty styling attributes of the old Z900.

If Enfield is cheap/light/simple it might sell a few. But Triumph IMO should bin the twin range and make a new retro based on a 795 street3 instead now if they want an interesting bike in the old school range.

Even the mk1 Speed triple (a bike I'm quite keen on) is nearly old enough to have a modern classic retro replica based on it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
...and a mate's just put a deposit down on an Interceptor.

https://fthmb.tqn.com/p5gqh4eCtKWrVa86PP0goHAvwvM=/2082x1536/filters:no_upscale()/close-up-of-cute-guinea-pig-indoors-688088977-5877f7233df78c17b6494628.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the Benelli 400 managed to capture classic brit bike lines a bit better than new enfields Question

https://media.motorbox.com/image/eicma-2017-benelli-imperiale-400-per-chi-ama-le-classiche/5/8/5/585719/585719-16x9-lg.jpg

https://www.motofire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/bennelli-imperiale-eicma-2017-motofire-01-1-1200x800.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 1 day between these two posts...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Enfield have just released the pricing for the new 650's, pretty reasonable, and very very tempting.. I will be sorting a test ride out early in the new year

From .. £5499

https://www.haywards.co.uk/interceptor-650.html

The 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is also pretty good

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the black and red but not quite so cheap.....

Forthcoming models:
Continental GT £5700
Continental GT Custom £5900
Continental GT Chrome £6200
Interceptor £5500
Interceptor Custom £5700
Interceptor Chrome £6000
https://www.thepotteries.co.uk/new-motorcycle-models.php

Still, reasonably affordable compared with 'modern' bikes.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the red/black one caught my eye as well, having said that, the orange is also good, not overly keen on the all silver though

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame the black Interceptor doesn't get the black wheels/trim of the GT :-

https://www.royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/twins/images/twins/interceptor/black/black-2.png

https://www.royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/twins/images/twins/continentalgt/mayhem/mayhem-2.png
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that engine a copy/rehash of an old engine or something completely new?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New !

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder because it's a wet sump engine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:03 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new motors sound fantastic because they have a 270 degree crank. More than a hint of v-twin about it. When someone had poked them up over 60bph, I'll be tempted. Currently a good option for a new test pass, with a native 46bhp.

That said, they should've made a v-twin. There have been homemade ones going about for a while now (called "muskets") and they look and sound amazing.
https://i0.wp.com/www.bike-urious.com/wp-content/uploads/Royal-Enfield-Musket-998-Right-Side.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that
I could quite happily make space in my garage for that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rather nice.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/hYzuqAX2A3A

Jay Leno had that Musket on his show. Very impressive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2