BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cylinders fitted with liners.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that cast iron liner is just as good as a hard plated ally cylinder is like saying and air cooled engine is just as good as a liquid cooled one.
Nikasil is hard - very hard. Hardness means lower friction and lower friction means lower losses. Aluminium has more than 2.5 times the thermal conductivity of iron so the more heat you can carry away the more heat - and power - you can produce in the engine. Big-power bike engine builders have found this time and again, nikasil barrels take some supreme abuse before they let go. If you're smearing nikasil barrels on a crosser it's probably more of a piston problem than a cylinder one. The barrels should out-last the pistons many times over.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:10 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you believe that if he were to buy that new barrel, slap it on the bottom end with no other modifications, it's going to make a 10% increase in power over simply refinishing his existing liner?

Do you think that there would be any power hunting modification you could make to a KMX 125 that would cause the cast iron liner to be a limiting factor? And if so what modification would that be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any non-stupid questions to ask? If you're going to call me out on something I've said at least base it on something I've said instead of throwing leading questions at me based on other people's input. I've made no assertions on power increase anywhere here. My comments have been on frictional losses and thermal transfer.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK some fair questions. But until or unless I strip the top end I won't know exactly what the current cylinder is like. Apart from the heat transfer issue, which on a std bike wouldn't really be an issue, there's the port matching of the liner to the ports.

As you bore out a two stroke, the ports get lower effectively de-tuning the motor. If the liner is matched to the lowered ports power might be lost?

As for tuning, well it's going to make more heat, via exhaust and ignition modifications, and so shedding heat from the cylinder will be more of an issue. I've already sourced a bigger aluminium radiator with larger cores and more tubes.

I understand what your saying about quick easy re-bores on off road bikes that suck in lots of dust and crap off road. This bike is a garage Queen that doesn't go into the muddy stuff or wannabe MX riding etc.

Jetting is off slightly, as im on pre-mix and sorry but my new carb is going to be Mikuni not Keihin. Is that really going to make much of a difference though? I've heard alot about this Keihin is better business, but I'm yet to understand why if the bore size is the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:31 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Do you have any non-stupid questions to ask? If you're going to call me out on something I've said at least base it on something I've said instead of throwing leading questions at me based on other people's input. I've made no assertions on power increase anywhere here. My comments have been on frictional losses and thermal transfer.

I agree with you that a coating is better in a very high performance application

I'm just struggling to understand why you are championing a cylinder coating for the OPs bike when i think common sense would indicate its overkill

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman wrote:

I'm just struggling to understand why you are championing a cylinder coating for the OPs bike when i think common sense would indicate its overkill

I'm struggling to see where he has championed it?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If you're smearing nikasil barrels on a crosser it's probably more of a piston problem than a cylinder one.

From what I understand its actually a materials hardness problem. The soft Aluminium of the piston can deform without failing but the liner can't. What often happens is a foreign object, carbon etc becomes embedded in the piston side and scores the nikasil plating.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2