Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stripping a badly hand painted steel frame :roll: :?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

can a badly hand painted frame be saved without engine removal
yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
no
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

ultraculture1...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Stripping a badly hand painted steel frame :roll: :? Reply with quote

Apologetic longtime viewer, occasional poster, constant two wheel rider, bicycles as much as motorbikes. Owned many different little bikes, love my two stroke trailies
I bought a 95 XJ600n for 400, its MOT'd and has been fairly well looked after mechanically, it looks pretty standard except for a 4-1 chopper pot pipe exhaust. It rides ok but the guy/s who owned it previously were a bit of the 'outlaw wannabe' types. Which is fine if doen well, this however has not been. Its one of those bikes that people who think every little cheap addition makes the bike better, it should be stripped down, single seat, double front discs, nice rear end, I've heard the r6 back end fits it Razz
The Frame has been hand painted gold, badly.
as have the infils, the rest of the body work is gold but in poor condition also but its the frame i'm primarily concerned with.
Also I will have to do an oil change, I want to make it into a cafe racer/scrambler type. Something that could take some minor green laning. I've seen it done.
Anyway what is my best bet for cleaning the paint off the frame without removing the engine, I dont mind a bit rough looking as I'm going to rat it anyway, its just all a bit too flashy look at me right now and I want the opposite.
I guess what I am asking is an engine removal necessary for a paint removal, or can i just remove the bits I can see and clear coat the bare steel underneath?
This is my second 600 after making the step up, I had a 94 ZZR but it was not getting the use it deserved from me and it was a big old girl to commute across Birmingham on, fastest I've ever been on a bike though. flapped it around 130 Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:08 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my considered oppinion, customising a 22 year old divvy is the very definition of polishing a turd.

Ride it for a bit before deciding what to do. After a ZZR6, I strongly suspect you'll hate it.

It'll make a decent winter hack but after riding it, I suspect you will have limited emotional investment beyond it being a tool for getting you from A to B. As such, your hand painted gold frame cannot be seen when you're riding it and should serve as a theft deterrent.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, try to check if there is the original paint under that ''gold coating''. If so, you could possibly get rid of the gold stuff and bring back the original paint. This way you could just try to polish the gold paint off.

The odds are you're gonna just scratch the gold paint off with your fingernail.

But, there is a lot of wisdom in what Stinkwheel says, as well.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In my considered oppinion, customising a 22 year old divvy is the very definition of polishing a turd.

Ride it for a bit before deciding what to do. After a ZZR6, I strongly suspect you'll hate it.

It'll make a decent winter hack but after riding it, I suspect you will have limited emotional investment beyond it being a tool for getting you from A to B. As such, your hand painted gold frame cannot be seen when you're riding it and should serve as a theft deterrent.

I know you know, the term ,Polishing a Turd' was rendered redundant by Mythbusters.

https://youtu.be/yiJ9fy1qSFI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from the question point of view, no. You really can't get a good result with the engine in the frame. That said, it depends on how good a result you want and you don't seem that bothered for a very good finish so just try different things and see how it goes.

What's the worse thing that could happen? You get to the stage you have to pull the engine anyway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:08 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I know you know, the term ,Polishing a Turd' was rendered redundant by Mythbusters.

https://youtu.be/yiJ9fy1qSFI

I wasn't saying you can't polish a turd, you can, but it's still a turd underneath.

The person who brush painted it gold understood this and just rolled it in glitter instead.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Stripping a badly hand painted steel frame :roll: :? Reply with quote

ultraculture1978 wrote:
I dont mind a bit rough looking as I'm going to rat it anyway

Then save time - attack it with a BBQ black rattlecan to cover the offending gold, and ride it. Unless by "rat it" you mean "hipster beardy lumberjack no-socks mud-all-up-your-front-and-back-due-to-cut-down-mudguards", that is.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:33 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the "Going to rat it" bit.

Rat ethos would imply that if it already has paint on it, why spend time and money that could be better spent either riding it or drinking beer putting a different colour paint on it?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Stripping a badly hand painted steel frame :roll: :? Reply with quote

ultraculture1978 wrote:
can i just remove the bits I can see and clear coat the bare steel underneath?

https://bucket.patrickbyrne.net/facepalm-picard.gif

ultraculture1...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I regret the "I'm going to rat it" comment, I am not and have never ratted a bike, what I mean is I want it to look well used but not unloved if you know what I mean.
After the ZZR its nowhere near as quick but it is much more comfortable, frugal and less likely to get me banned. I also like the naked look, I very rarely ride over the speed limit and almost never on the motorway.
The only reason I dont want to leave it gold is its all a bit look at me, I dont mind it looking like a 22 year old dog, just not a 22 year old dog trying to look like a bloody oscar Laughing

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't be the first to rattle can matt black over everything but the discs, lights and clocks.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:15 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gold paint has been done badly, it will rub off with wire wool. Try this first.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1