Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

garage security alarms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: garage security alarms Reply with quote

Anybody used a particular model of garage door alarm? There are quite a few cheap ones on the web, some with remote keys to disarm the alarm.

I have an up and over door and a single door next to it. The single door is skookum as frig bit the up and over can be broken into easily, I'm led to believe. I can't get in but then I'm trying to without destroying the door lol

Garage is attached to the house. In the event a little scrote tries to get in I want something that will wake me up. Alarmed disc lock on its own won't wake me -_-

Don't want a garage defender as it shouts out I have something worth stealing. An additional bolt is being added to the door after a few recent bike theft attempts. I'd be devastated if my tools got stolen, let alone the bikes

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest option. Strengthen the corners of the door. Then add some decent bolts into the ground from these points. If its anything like mine you can add some decent bar between the door and plate at back to make good solid mounting points.
It will mean that you won't be able to open the door from the outside with the bolts down.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Tiiwee system. Cheap as chips, well made and a piece of piss to install. You can have the siren anywhere and you can pair another siren to have one on the garage and one indoors to wake you up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071R4RXWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 23:44 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my garage had an attempted break in (tried to crow bar the door open), I put CCTV on it and looked at an expensive alarm system.

Before spending £400 odd, I decided to try this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Wireless-Security-Driveway-Weatherproof/dp/B00WG2VVV2/ref=sr_1_3_mimg_1_home_improvement_display_on_website?ie=UTF8&qid=1510094450&sr=8-3&keywords=1+by+one+alarm

Mate, these things are fucking brilliant! The sensor takes a couple AA or AAA batteries (I forget) and sits just behind the garage door inside.

The speaker / chime thing is plugged in the main next to my bed. It works so well, anytime anyone walks in or out, it booms out a tune next to me and flashes too.

Just seen they make a slightly better version with a remote control to enable / disable it for £2 more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Controller-Battery-operated-Receivers-Weatherproof/dp/B00GUBJJ96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510094450&sr=8-1&keywords=1+by+one+alarm

Same company, same device pretty much but with the controller.

You can add up to 5 of the sensors too on the same base.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a tinny up and over door you can reinforce the door around the edges with 4x2 so that the corners can't be bent up.
On the inside of the garage a G clamp on the track will stop the door opening (by blocking the track) if they force the lock. Or you could drill a hole and put padlocks in. A simple Irwin speed clamp would be quicker to put on and off than padlocks or a G clamp if you're going to use it everyday.
Strong physical security never hurts.

Edit: Yeah, pretty much what iooi said further up.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the door is fairly well built with bracing along the edges and an X from each corner going through to the centre. The door has a number of lock points, not just one at the top..

What i'd planned to do anyway was add two heavy duty slide bolts at the bottom of the door, either side. These will primarily be used over night. The misses is home pretty much all day as are most of my neighbours.

What prompted me to look further into this was a recent attempt on my neighbours garage. From the looks of it, they clamped something to the lock handle and just overpowered the pins inside the lock which then allowed them to turn the handle and open the door, as if it was unlocked.

Jayy: That looks great Thumbs Up

Ideally i want something will make so much noise in the garage that it would be disorientating to go/stay in there. The bikes are chained up but my tool boxes etc etc are not and its not feasible to do so as they get moved around a lot.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Ideally i want something will make so much noise in the garage that it would be disorientating to go/stay in there.

Then add a couple of them magnetic contact alarms which someone posted a few back. Soon as the door is moved away from the contact, 120 db alarm goes off and they are fucking loud as well.

I had one but it didn't have a remote, so because it was on the inside of the garage door, it went off every time I opened the door... was annoying.

The doors at the front are solid metal and electric, so because they are hooked on to a chain pulley system, they aren't getting in that way easily nor with cars parked infront.

I only need that remote chiming alarm as I work from home and the only real time the garage isn't being monitored is when I'm asleep but soon as I hear Mozart's 5th concerto, I'm going to go do some damage...

Dogs are also a great alarm system, bark at fucking anything that moves within a 30m radius of the house.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Ideally i want something will make so much noise in the garage that it would be disorientating to go/stay in there.

Then add a couple of them magnetic contact alarms which someone posted a few back. Soon as the door is moved away from the contact, 120 db alarm goes off and they are fucking loud as well.

I had one but it didn't have a remote, so because it was on the inside of the garage door, it went off every time I opened the door... was annoying.

The doors at the front are solid metal and electric, so because they are hooked on to a chain pulley system, they aren't getting in that way easily nor with cars parked infront.

I only need that remote chiming alarm as I work from home and the only real time the garage isn't being monitored is when I'm asleep but soon as I hear Mozart's 5th concerto, I'm going to go do some damage...

Dogs are also a great alarm system, bark at fucking anything that moves within a 30m radius of the house.

Dog is a planned after my wedding next year when my youngest will be a bit older and taller Thumbs Up That was my first thought.

Mozart's 5th concerto Laughing Wouldnt beethoven's 5th much more fitting? Although a beatdown to Mozarts violin concerto 5 would be ridiculously dark

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I use a Tiiwee system. Cheap as chips, well made and a piece of piss to install. You can have the siren anywhere and you can pair another siren to have one on the garage and one indoors to wake you up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071R4RXWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just purchased the linked one Thumbs Up

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this - https://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964 - doesn't wake up you, and everyone in the area, then nothing will help Laughing

would scare the crap out of anyone trying to break in too lol

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

For anyone thinking about alarms, I rate this highly. So much so I just bought a second kit to link up and do all the doors in the house with me and the other half having a remote each.

As above, setup was very easy. Alarm is loud enough for me to hear on the other side of the house through all the walls.

Will still add another bolt inside for mechanical security though

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
if this - https://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964 - doesn't wake up you, and everyone in the area, then nothing will help Laughing

would scare the crap out of anyone trying to break in too lol

I'd forget and give myself a heart attack Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1