Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

insurance question - auto-renewal shenanigans (?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: insurance question - auto-renewal shenanigans (?) Reply with quote

Quick question. Can insurance companies automatically renew your policy if you haven't opted for monthly payments? I.e. if you made one full payment at the time of taking the policy out?

Second quick question. Do you have to explicitly TELL your insurer that you WANT auto-renewal the following year, if you make one single full payment at the time of taking the policy out? Or can they assume you want auto renewal and give you a box that you have to UNCHECK, as it were?

The reason I ask is that I suddenly noticed one of my insurers has taken a payment for a policy I never asked for. In other words a renewal.

Yes, I did hold a policy with them the previous year, but had made a single full payment. And certainly never asked them to auto renew. I never would do either, because - as much of a PITA that it is - I always run new quotes at the end of the year.

Grrr.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:49 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took out a new insurance policy yesterday.

I paid in one go, by debit card, and auto renew was automatically on ( i had to specifically request it to not auto renew) I gathered it is a checkbox, or similar, on the account/policy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:12 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: insurance question - auto-renewal shenanigans (?) Reply with quote

Yes, they can do this.

They'll lie to you and say it's the law because of the law about continuous insurance laws and law. It's not, it's just contractual. It's tucked away on page 4,729 of your policy document.

Whether it's enforceable if push comes to shove is an open question. I'd say not if you've taken out a policy elsewhere. If you haven't, and you've not SORNed the vehicle either, then that looks an awful lot like implicit acceptance by performance.

However, they should have contacted you at least once about 3 weeks before the policy was due for renewal. If they didn't (they'll swear they must have), I'd apply their own standards of diligence and recollection. Recall that you definitely told them not to renew at 10:15am on Monday the Weekbefore, so full refund, none of this "admin fee" tosh, or it'll be the Ombudsman for them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't m,atter what you tell tyhem. Even if you specifically call them and tell them to remove the auto-renewal. They just do it anyway.

Source: Happened to me twice now. Most recently by Carole Nash on the 20th of this month.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm too fucking lazy to do anything about it because I'm old, my bikes are old and it's therefore almost universally the same low price, I'd have done a chargeback on the credit card as a (specifically) unauthorised transaction.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when you call up to cancel the auto-renewal and they want you to go through a quote over the phone. I can't remember all the lies I've told Folded arms

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the both stated, near page 4785 of the policy document.
Some require/request a written request from an insured to Not autorenew.

I have cancelled a couple of autorenewed policies after the they were auto renewed. Full refund when I produced proof of cover elsewhere.
Something to do with not being allowed to have more than one insurance policy for the same thing.
😎

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
, I'd have done a chargeback on the credit card as a (specifically) unauthorised transaction.

Which will fail (you get redebited) when the company comes back showing the agreement and the fact you never responded to their letter/email stating what you need to do.

TBH. I have not had any house/car/bike autorenew, in the last few years. It seems that most now are going the other way.
Put the onus on you to renew.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it wasn’t with Bennets. Be prepared to be on hold for over two hours, then lied to, then ignored and still be no better off than when you started. I requested a callback at the beginning of August to cancel a policy. Im still waiting for that call Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:39 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
, I'd have done a chargeback on the credit card as a (specifically) unauthorised transaction.

Which will fail (you get redebited) when the company comes back showing the agreement and the fact you never responded to their letter/email stating what you need to do.

So when I specifically contact a company and tell them they are not authorised to autorenew a policy or take money off my credit card. All they need to do is write to say they're going to anyway and I may as well have been wasting my breath?

That's how contract law works now then?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you can prove you cancelled (provide date is all is required). Then there is a specific chargeback right to claim the money back. either on a credit or debit card.
So always make a note if you do cancel Smile

What people need to realise is that using Visa/Master card chargebacks is that the retailer has the right to contest. Thus you can end up being redebited.
CCA 75 require a proof of breach of contract or misrepresentation. Again if the ins co and provide proof then you loose.

So even if you have cancelled and get a letter saying "We will take payment on xxx". Then it pays to contact then and advise of cancellation again.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:33 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I hate it when you call up to cancel the auto-renewal and they want you to go through a quote over the phone.

What they want isn't of much interest to me.

Record the call.

Ask if they are refusing to accept the instruction to not renew: yes or no.

If any further waffling occurs, just tell them that you've instructed them not to renew, you have it recorded, and you're done, kthnxbye.

That's concluded it pretty sharply for me in the past, although I wouldn't be that fussed if they do fraudulently collect the money anyway. As above, chargeback, screw 'em.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Something to do with not being allowed to have more than one insurance policy for the same thing.
😎

I've heard say of this but don't know if it's true, or if true, whether it's a cold, hard legal thang or merely an admin preference that means jack shit when it comes down to it.

The latter, I fear.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I hate it when you call up to cancel the auto-renewal and they want you to go through a quote over the phone.

What they want isn't of much interest to me.

Record the call.

Ask if they are refusing to accept the instruction to not renew: yes or no.

If any further waffling occurs, just tell them that you've instructed them not to renew, you have it recorded, and you're done, kthnxbye.

That's concluded it pretty sharply for me in the past, although I wouldn't be that fussed if they do fraudulently collect the money anyway. As above, chargeback, screw 'em.

My conversations normally go:
"I'll run you a quote" "I don't want one"
"It won't take 2 mins" "I don't want one"
"Let me see what I can do for you" "Again I don't want one"
"Fine then" Rolling Eyes

If they want to keep my business send me a quote before the policy expires and don't try to bank on auto-renewal making you a tidy profit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
MCN wrote:
😎

I've heard say of this but don't know if it's true, or if true, whether it's a cold, hard legal thang or merely an admin preference that means jack shit when it comes down to it.

The latter, I fear.

I ended up dual insured once. Basically I couldn't purchase a policy on MCE's site (realised after I was being potato entering my card details Embarassed), kept getting an error message and their helpline was closed. So rode back uninsured or so I thought, the next day I realised they had taken payment twice, called up MCE and they cancelled/refunded one of the policies.

Glad I only tried twice otherwise I could have ended up with 4,5,6 policies Smile Also had I got stopped I probably would have fessed up to being uninsured, when I wasn't Confused

straydog
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:38 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have the same problem with Bennetts, no matter how many times you tell them you DON'T want Auto Renew they still do it.

You can even phone them up at the time of the renew to tell them not to do it because your are going else where, they STILL take the money.
I only found out when I went to pay for a new policy with another Co and was told was already insured on the vehicle!!!!!
I phoned Bennetts and I told them to play back the phone call to check I had told them not to auto renew.
they apologised....hmmm and said they would give me my money back...............eventually, think it took about a week.
Cheeky bstrds

Mind you Bennetts ain't the only one, I just had the same prob with Adrian Flux for my van.
They quoted me £430 on auto renewal, I went online and found I could get the same insurance for £220 from.................yea Adrian Flux.

Bloody Ins Co's Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that these days there's never an option to avoid accepting auto-renewal when you take out insurance online (is there any other way); ie no tickbox - they all insist you contact them in advance of the renewal date to cancel it. Total PITA.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Pretty sure that these days there's never an option to avoid accepting auto-renewal when you take out insurance online (is there any other way); ie no tickbox - they all insist you contact them in advance of the renewal date to cancel it. Total PITA.

TBH. I have not had one single insurance policy auto renew in the last few years. That goes for bike, car or house.....

Bennetts included.
The only policy that was going too, was daughters car with Hastings. So I wonder if it's a age related thing. As I have been with them and the did not for me....

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread just caused some bum twitching. I'm with Bennetts and I'm sure my renewal is due.

Checked through email, couldn't find it.

Checked again, policy documents in January. Yup. Left it uninsured for two months last year because I was too lazy to tunnel a path into the garage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1