Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Replacing NiCd Batteries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Replacing NiCd Batteries Reply with quote

I have an power battery pack, It's for a portable playstation.

It outputs 7.2v and has NiCd Batteries in it. It claims 1900mah, when new, 15-20 years ago Obviously it is mostly knackered now. At best it will run for ~30 minutes. I figure I should be able to replace the existing cells with more modern batteries and have it much better than it was originally.

Any idea what type of batteries would be good to use?

I know LiPo are good but I believe charging them is more complicated and there is a risk or fire if it isn't done right. I'd like to avoid that Laughing

The charger supplied puts out 200ma, it would be handy to continue using that if possible. I do have a proper balance/timed charger but I'd don't want to faff with that. I want to plug it in and forget about it to charge it.

I have soldering kit and am not awful at using it.

I don't really want to spend more than £20 all in, batteries and charger if required.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have standard sized batteries inside. ie, AAA or the like or is it their own design/shape?
____________________
Triumph Trophy Launch Edition

http://www.jdboatsafetyandservices.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Nimh batteries they're tolerant and don't explode if you puncture overcharge or hit them too hard.


http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/overlander-3300mah-7-2v-nimh-battery-pack-stick-subc-tamiya-rc-car/?CAWELAID=730003540000009675&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=41817707643&CATCI=pla-322076968291&CATARGETID=730003540000018276&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpPizMW71wIV1kAbCh2PmgSgEAQYASABEgJF3_D_BwE


Just cut out the old cells cut off the mini tamiya. Or add a Mini tamiya to the power pack and slot them in. Job jobbed.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Does it have standard sized batteries inside. ie, AAA or the like or is it their own design/shape?


I don't know yet I haven't taken it apart however it looks like the R/C car packs would fit.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Use Nimh batteries they're tolerant and don't explode if you puncture overcharge or hit them too hard.


http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/overlander-3300mah-7-2v-nimh-battery-pack-stick-subc-tamiya-rc-car/?CAWELAID=730003540000009675&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=41817707643&CATCI=pla-322076968291&CATARGETID=730003540000018276&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpPizMW71wIV1kAbCh2PmgSgEAQYASABEgJF3_D_BwE


Just cut out the old cells cut off the mini tamiya. Or add a Mini tamiya to the power pack and slot them in. Job jobbed.


Silly question how does charging work? What governs the max draw?

As I understand it the rating on a Transformer is the max it safely have drawn through it. Would a bigger battery draw more, or is the rating on the plug the limit?

Say I got a 1a or 2a 7.2v plug. would the battery take 'what it needs' or the lot?
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Use Nimh batteries they're tolerant and don't explode if you puncture overcharge or hit them too hard.


http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/overlander-3300mah-7-2v-nimh-battery-pack-stick-subc-tamiya-rc-car/?CAWELAID=730003540000009675&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=41817707643&CATCI=pla-322076968291&CATARGETID=730003540000018276&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpPizMW71wIV1kAbCh2PmgSgEAQYASABEgJF3_D_BwE


Just cut out the old cells cut off the mini tamiya. Or add a Mini tamiya to the power pack and slot them in. Job jobbed.


Silly question how does charging work? What governs the max draw?

As I understand it the rating on a Transformer is the max it safely have drawn through it. Would a bigger battery draw more, or is the rating on the plug the limit?

Say I got a 1a or 2a 7.2v plug. would the battery take 'what it needs' or the lot?


I had a NiMh 4A 14.8V pack on my race bike. It needed a smart charger and also had a temp probe for safety cut out, which needed plugging into the charger as well as the main charge connector.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get another 7.2V NiCad pack from an RC model shop?
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, NSR125RW, YZF-750R Boost colours.
BMW 740i Sport, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiCd batteries are usually charged with a constant current circuit as they're very low impedance internally - you might have to consider a different charger. Or you could buy some NiCds to replace the old ones...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Despined_By_Ex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2S-7-4V-5200mAh-30C-LiPo-Battery-Deans-for-RC-Helicopter-Airplane-Drone-Hobby/162614715393?hash=item25dc97a401:g:RPYAAOSw2RdZgT-l

2s 5200mah lipo

get a charger from the bay or splash out on a decent charger (i have an imax b6)

charging is fine just plug them in and wait
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donít LiPo explode on impact? Are they deemed safe now?
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, NSR125RW, YZF-750R Boost colours.
BMW 740i Sport, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Despined_By_Ex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never had a lipo go south on me..

i had a boat sink with a lipo in it once.. didnt go boom or pop, i ended up decommissioning the battery with a nail to be safe and that was crap just smoked a bit.

get a lipo pouch if youre scared but ive done some suspect things with lipos and never had an issue.

had a glider fall out the sky and hit the floor hard enough to smash the glider up and the lipo was all gravy.

shorted one out many times by accident too.. was fine.
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Donít LiPo explode on impact? Are they deemed safe now?


They can bust into flames if you puncture them, but to get that sort of failure you have to pretty much stab through mulitple cells.

Just charge them in a LiPo bag or an empty biscuit tin, and charge them away from things that could catch fire if one goes pop.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
ive never had a lipo go south on me..

i had a boat sink with a lipo in it once.. didnt go boom or pop, i ended up decommissioning the battery with a nail to be safe and that was crap just smoked a bit.

get a lipo pouch if youre scared but ive done some suspect things with lipos and never had an issue.

had a glider fall out the sky and hit the floor hard enough to smash the glider up and the lipo was all gravy.

shorted one out many times by accident too.. was fine.


I refer you to this thread Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Despined_By_Ex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
ive never had a lipo go south on me..

i had a boat sink with a lipo in it once.. didnt go boom or pop, i ended up decommissioning the battery with a nail to be safe and that was crap just smoked a bit.

get a lipo pouch if youre scared but ive done some suspect things with lipos and never had an issue.

had a glider fall out the sky and hit the floor hard enough to smash the glider up and the lipo was all gravy.

shorted one out many times by accident too.. was fine.


I refer you to this thread Thumbs Up

Quote:

I believe the cause was a short somewhere with the balance leads


his was shorted for a long period of time.

play stupid games with batteries win stupid prizes.
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 1.63 Sec - Server Load: 1.25 - MySQL Queries: 17 - CDN Objects: 42 - Page Size: 86.96 Kb