Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suspension bolts & the MoT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Suspension bolts & the MoT? Reply with quote

Probably a bit of a can of worms here.

Would an 8.8 rated bolt on a mono shock unit be an MoT pass/fail?

This is more of an academic question than anything else, as I'm intending to buy a new (correct) bolt, but I'm just intreged...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:41 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m1s02000401.htm

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks very similar to the back of my CBF.
That should be a CAP head bolt which sits in the recess on the left.

as a normal bolt is smaller in diameter than the recess, how are you stopping it from having excessive movement ?

id suggest the MOT bloke is going to have a look and might refer to this part of the rules

deliberate modification which significantly reduces the original strength, excessive corrosion, severe distortion, a fracture or an inadequate repair of a load bearing member or its supporting structure

its most probably not that use of that bolt but rather the bolt not fitting correctly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would seem it's a bit grey and I'd expect it to get an advisory only, subject to it actually being secure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:26 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if it is the read end of a CBF the correct CAP bolts cant be found at Screw fix/Tool station.

you have to get them off the inter webs.

im 99% sure when i replaced my one, i ordered a spare.
happy to dig it out and post it if it helps.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect if there is no play in it you would probably get away with it as the tester won't be specifically looking at the bolt.

If he detects play and then has a good look I would expect that to be a fail.

This is purely guess work though, going on how my tester checks the suspension.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:37 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

8,8 should be strong enough in terms of tensile strength. You're using a locknut so there are no worries regarding security.

Therefore it's all down to fit. Of there is no play and it's not fouling anything, I see no reason it shouldn't pass. If there is play, it should fail.

You could probably argue that there shouldn't be a threaded section inside the shock bushing too but the MOT tester can't see that.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the bolt is already bending to my eye. I'd be changing it regardless of MOT decision. It's probably less than a fiver for the right one fom Amazon.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a CBF, and yes the original bolt head sits in a recess. I had to make a spacer out of the original bolt head (photo attached).

As I fitted a second hand shock I needed to test it, so couldn't just fit the bolt without a way of holding it firmly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
It looks like the bolt is already bending to my eye. I'd be changing it regardless of MOT decision. It's probably less than a fiver for the right one fom Amazon.

That's just my photography skills. Sad
Lol

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be amazed if anyone gave a toss. Chuck a bit of black paint or dirt on it and thats that done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd be amazed if anyone gave a toss. Chuck a bit of black paint or dirt on it and thats that done.

Ah the tight fisted approach....

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m boring the centre out of all my suspension bolts anyway. For speed add lightness.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Ah the tight fisted approach....

Not really, like you I couldn't reach the top shelf with the proper nuts and bolts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a back story here, I'm sure of it. I'm just not in the picture.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:12 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Neither is he. Tripod too high.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Courier for 901639164 years, can't ride bikes because they are too tall, has issues with a monkey bike by the sounds of it.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Bottom line is modern motorcycles have higher seats than older bikes which means I can't get BOTH feet on the ground at standstill which makes my choice of the next bike very hard.

My CBF500 is perfect, however the latest model CB500 has a higher seat and can't get the feet on the ground.

Sadly some smart arses on this forum are taking this as ever so funny.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
arry wrote:

Bottom line is modern motorcycles have higher seats than older bikes which means I can't get BOTH feet on the ground at standstill which makes my choice of the next bike very hard.

My CBF500 is perfect, however the latest model CB500 has a higher seat and can't get the feet on the ground.

Jebus, just how short are you? I'm short....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't put both feet down when I rode my TTR600, didn't die. Did ride. Just incompetent rider too short for this world.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBF is too low for me really, and I keep catching my feet on the road on roundabouts and tight corners. Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Jebus, just how short are you? I'm short....

Apparently he's a lawn ornament. Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful that MOT would notice but what you've put in is a long way from being adequate IMO. It's already visibly bending in the photo.

You've removed a M12 fine thread shouldered cap screw for a hardware- store M12 coarse bolt. Just losing the shoulder and measuring down to the thread's minor diameter loses you 71% of cross-section. Now the bolt (screw, actually) that's fitted is probably 8.8 grade but socket cap heads are 10.9 or 12.9 - each 125% and 146% stronger respectively - that's if the new fastener even reaches 8.8 spec.

A 71% reduction in cross-section and possible 65% reduction in strength makes your replacement bolt as poor as 46% the capacity of the one you've replace.

Time to re-evaluate what you have there IMO.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
It's already visibly bending in the photo.

It's not bending at all, as previously said that's poor photography, also the double nut I think plays tricks on the eye. Considering that in that photo the only weight on the bolt was the swingarm and wheel, and it had only just been fitted, I'd be very concerned if it had bent!

Everything else I'm in agreement with.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Courier for 901639164 years, can't ride bikes because they are too tall, has issues with a monkey bike by the sounds of it.

Ah, I see. Did this all happen in a previous incarnation or is this an actual new user with actual issues?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2