View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abarth 595.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citroen DS3. I quite like them, I did actually look into getting the THP variant but I decided I'd struggle with such a small car.
They've been around since 2010 so they can be had for around £3k.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Citroen DS3. I quite like them, I did actually look into getting the THP variant but I decided I'd struggle with such a small car.
They've been around since 2010 so they can be had for around £3k.

My driving instructor had two

First one was rejected after 6 months as kept going wrong
Second one went back into dealers 4 times in 6 months and left her stranded in France twice
When she stopped instructing she bought a 2007 Saab diesel and has had no probs since
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:19 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars and girls Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
daughter - 26-year old

Pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, run out MX5 with the folding hard top. Lovely car to drive and can be had for a relative bargain.

Failing that .... and as boring as it is ... MK7 Golf.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS she's 26 not 17, surely she should be looking at something decent rather than your entry level i10's and the like.

The Ibiza is crap unless you go top end spec. All the superminis are good city cars for the money but not something I'd like to be driving in my mid 20's but if budget is tight then worth a look.

If budget was decent and I was a decade younger I'd be looking at an Audi A1 or something similar in the small car category. The abarth 595 is fun but expensive.

If you're talking golf size then get a golf Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is wrong with the current car? Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

It's red?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

It's red?

If it's got water based paint job, then making a long trip in the South of Europe will turn it pink pretty quickly. Razz

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 12:57 - 15 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note, does she even know what a car is? From telling us it has to have a certain colour and Bluetooth, she has no idea what's avalible in terms of performance, handling, build quality, comfort...

If she's one of the ''I do not care, it's looking nice and has good mpg'' people then try whatever VW concern car, that's in her/your budget. The upside of VW is the parts avalibility and nearly every shop can work on that withou telling you they lack the experience and/or tools. Plus, there is a huge comunity of VW concern owners who share their knowledge online, so keeping such car alive is easy enough. Also, with a small petrol and diesel engines we're even looking at more than reasonable MPG. I recommend a small petrol over a diesel. Modern diesel cars require a certain level of understanding of how it all works. Petrol engines are more user friendly and versatile, eventhough people would claim a car is a car, so it doesn't matter what engine you have.

People here have Skoda Rapid cars, some even the CitiGo (VW sells it as UP), all have a Bluetooth radio and come in various colours, and are ''trendy''.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

People here have Skoda Rapid cars, some even the CitiGo (VW sells it as UP), all have a Bluetooth radio and come in various colours, and are ''trendy''.

What I noticed in Prague was every other car was a Skoda and every other one of those was a Superb.

Got off the plane, first thing I saw was a Skoda Superb on display in exactly the same color that we have.

Walked out of the airport and into the taxi pick up area where we got into a Superb. From a long line of taxi's where all were superbs

Then walking around prague and noticing all the superbs everywhere.

Our Hotels cars that we used for some excursions were passats because they were "posh".

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will choose Toyota but recent Toyota models don't look attractive.
I will choose from used Toyota but I don't like Yaris(Vitz).
VW : emission scandal.
Mazda : sky-active diesel is famous for carbon build-up troubles here.
Suzuki : cost cut everywhere.(like K-car)
Nissan : cost cut by Mr Ghosn except expensive models like GTR.
Honda : present Jazz HV model had 5 times recall here. Should be petrol model.(I think previous Jazz is better than present model (body design))
Toyota : boring but reliable.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

What I noticed in Prague was every other car was a Skoda and every other one of those was a Superb.

Got off the plane, first thing I saw was a Skoda Superb on display in exactly the same color that we have.

Walked out of the airport and into the taxi pick up area where we got into a Superb. From a long line of taxi's where all were superbs

Then walking around prague and noticing all the superbs everywhere.

Our Hotels cars that we used for some excursions were passats because they were "posh".

I was giving OP an example of a small ''trendy'' car. Speaking of Superb, it's the most disapointing car I've ever driven and/or had a close look at. The interior is a mix of luxury items and very cheap plastic panels with somewhat lower build quality. The engine (1.6 diesel with DSG) was loud and rather vibration happy and all that was amplified into the cabin. All normal, I was told.

It's a flag ship car with worse apparent value (the way you feel in it and driving it) than much lower class cars from various manufacturers. The Rapid, Fabia and Octavia at least have adequate price tags and you kind of feel you get a good value automobile for your money.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:32 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I was giving OP an example of a small ''trendy'' car. Speaking of Superb, it's the most disapointing car I've ever driven and/or had a close look at. The interior is a mix of luxury items and very cheap plastic panels with somewhat lower build quality. The engine (1.6 diesel with DSG) was loud and rather vibration happy and all that was amplified into the cabin. All normal, I was told.

It's a flag ship car with worse apparent value (the way you feel in it and driving it) than much lower class cars from various manufacturers. The Rapid, Fabia and Octavia at least have adequate price tags and you kind of feel you get a good value automobile for your money.

If you only looked at a Czech one then I noticed some differences in spec between the one we have and the ones that we saw/went in - whilst in Prague.

Having also been in a Passat of similar 2016 vintage the superb was remarkably similar inside with all the same switches/dials and infotainment and layout etc enough that i wouldn’t consider a Passat as the superb is slightly bigger with better passenger space - I’m 6ft 5 and can sit in the back whilst the drivers seat is in the furthest back position. Also the build quality seemed the same as the Passat.

I totally agree that the 1.6 Diesel engine is dire and underpowered for such a massive car and the dsg box i didn’t like at all on the test drive. That engine was crap in a company Yeti that I had a while ago but never driven a superb in anything other than 2.0 diesel guise. Our test drive was a 2.0 estate with DSG and I really didn’t like the box. Ours is a 2.0 manual and it’s perfectly fine, smooth and quiet unless you are really pushing it. Certainly the quietest and most comfortable car I have been in. It’s not a pin sharp ‘drivers car’ but for sitting on long motorway jaunts or sat in traffic inside the quiet cabin listening to DAB ignoring the outside world whilst able to stretch out. I think it’s a bargain compared to many other cars - and I am a difficult man to please. If it was crap i would state so.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
I will choose Toyota but recent Toyota models don't look attractive.
I will choose from used Toyota but I don't like Yaris(Vitz).
VW : emission scandal.
Mazda : sky-active diesel is famous for carbon build-up troubles here.
Suzuki : cost cut everywhere.(like K-car)
Nissan : cost cut by Mr Ghosn except expensive models like GTR.
Honda : present Jazz HV model had 5 times recall here. Should be petrol model.(I think previous Jazz is better than present model (body design))
Toyota : boring but reliable.

VW: No body in Europe cares and people don't even make a connection between the Skoda, Seat, Audi and VW.
Mazda: Oil burning rust magnets Razz (every modern car burns oil, that's the only way how to reduce the nternal friction = lower fuel consumption = lower CO2 emisions...; But Mazda is a real drinker with a small oil pan and you realy have to keep an eye on the oil level, many rather new engines seized because of that)
Suzuki: Swift and then?
Nissan: I can't think of a single model, (except the cool models from the 90's)
Honda: ,... nah, I've got nothing. Boring, but alright. There are cool Honda cars, but those are not something ordinary people would buy.
Toyota: Pretty much what I said about Honda.

*Rust issues of Mazda cars. I'm not quite sure when they decided to assess the issue. I've seen cars 5 years old that had completely rusted undercarriage, even with holes in the floor. From the outside the cars look nice, like a 5 years old car, but underneath, no thank you. It's almost like Mazda never thought of people driving their cars in winter in Europe (salt).

EDIT: Thinking of it, the only Japanese cars, that I'd consider buying, I know from Gran Turismo and 99% of them are JDM only and I can't fit in a MX-5, nor S2000. Razz

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 23:32 - 15 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
New shape Fiesta eco boost.

Even a few years older Focus.

Failing that, any Jap wagon.

Agree with the Fiesta eco boost, m8 has one and it's nippy and economical. Haven't been pulled out on by any either, all the usual typical pretty stupid fuck women who drive fiat 500's and the like can't drive for shit.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there has been some very cool/ capable cars from all the Japanese manufacturers over the years. But as you say they aint something that normal people would ever buy as a quiet comfy or economical daily.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Superb isn't that bad...

I'm quite a demanding driver myself. I could even tell a wheel bearing was going bad long, long before others would even notice. My father did about 3000 km in the car before it was really noticeable. Laughing
EDIT: It was really like: Dad, I think the front left wheel bearing is going bad. He said he didn't think so but he asked his mate (a car mechanic). The mechanic didn't think it was any bad, but it might be, not sure, etc... 3000km later, griding sound from that very bearing. Razz

I don't get pleased with electric toys, that's not where I see the value of an automobile. I always preffer better build quality and engineering over electronic toys picked off a shelf to amuse the masses. For the money the Superb I tested costed, I could have had many nicer cars.

One thing that is indisputable, Superbs are very spacious, especially the long version. That's a S-Klasse Mercedes-Benz kind of space we're talking about. That surprised me the most, the first time I sat back. I'm a tall lad, so it was a very unusual experience to sit back in a car while not touching anything with my knees.

But as I said, it was a mix of ''posh'' stuff with cheap plastics, noise (aerodynamic and engine noise) and vibration. The noise level was higher than in my 22 years old Mercedes-Benz (got it because I'm a DTM fanboy). Worth saying I have a petrol engine with no turbo and the Superb was a turbo charged diesel, but still. I genuienly thought something was wrong with the car. Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

It's red?

It's black but too big.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:41 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
dodsi wrote:
Superb isn't that bad...

I'm quite a demanding driver myself. I could even tell a wheel bearing was going bad long, long before others would even notice. My father did about 3000 km in the car before it was really noticeable. Laughing
EDIT: It was really like: Dad, I think the front left wheel bearing is going bad. He said he didn't think so but he asked his mate (a car mechanic). The mechanic didn't think it was any bad, but it might be, not sure, etc... 3000km later, griding sound from that very bearing. Razz

I don't get pleased with electric toys, that's not where I see the value of an automobile. I always preffer better build quality and engineering over electronic toys picked off a shelf to amuse the masses. For the money the Superb I tested costed, I could have had many nicer cars.

One thing that is indisputable, Superbs are very spacious, especially the long version. That's a S-Klasse Mercedes-Benz kind of space we're talking about. That surprised me the most, the first time I sat back. I'm a tall lad, so it was a very unusual experience to sit back in a car while not touching anything with my knees.

But as I said, it was a mix of ''posh'' stuff with cheap plastics, noise (aerodynamic and engine noise) and vibration. The noise level was higher than in my 22 years old Mercedes-Benz (got it because I'm a DTM fanboy). Worth saying I have a petrol engine with no turbo and the Superb was a turbo charged diesel, but still. I genuienly thought something was wrong with the car. Embarassed

Fair comments, it’s just not my experience of ‘owning’ (leasing) one for just over a year - it’s just a Passat in a different skirt from my experience of both cars. It’s no BMW/Mercedes in terms of interior quality etc but bearing in mind it shares the MQB platform with a huge part of the VAG group cars and shares the engines and Most other components from all the VAG parts bins I would not consider a more ‘premium’ marque from the Volkswagen stable as I would not see the value.

I could see how in a lower trim level and smaller engine size it would be quite dire - But in the very much mid level trim we have it’s got a lot of clever toys and the brilliant radar cruise control plus leather and alcantara seats. It’s a huge amount of bang for the buck and people I know are paying more for a super mini type car which is basic by comparison.

Bearing in mind it is a lease with just under a year left to go which means I can order virtually anything else soon, all I am thinking of doing is ordering a new Superb in the same trim level again, purely because I am not sure I can get anything else that is better for the money. In addition the motoring press have rated it very highly too for all the reasons I have provided. Honestly, I am picky and would not try to pointlessly justify my spend to myself or anybody else if I had a bad experience - if anything I would be writing warnings to anybody considering one to not bother.

My only gripes are, while it’s fast enough (read adequate in the most adequate way possible performance) it is not exactly exciting and doesn’t lend itself to ‘spirited’ driving. But then it’s a 150ps 2.0 diesel as in any other vag car with same power output unit. If I got a 2.0 petrol 280ps with haldex 4wd and active dampers and all the toys then it may be better - but by that point you are into a best part of 40k car and there is just honestly so many better options.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
New shape Fiesta eco boost.

Even a few years older Focus.

Failing that, any Jap wagon.

Agree with the Fiesta eco boost, m8 has one and it's nippy and economical. Haven't been pulled out on by any either, all the usual typical pretty stupid fuck women who drive fiat 500's and the like can't drive for shit.

have a woman in a fiat 500l regularly drives straight through a give way on her mobile through a blind single car bridge in the mornings (priority is in my direction)

I have taken to making her reverse now as she has done it more then once but I'm guessing her car hasn't got Bluetooth as the phone is in her hand its also red
she also now rages when I do this Laughing Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not to be blamed on having or not having blue tooth, following crazy sat navs, or phones. But is instead technically known as just being a cunt!

She is displaying Audi cock behaviour, and there won't be any time in her mind that she doesn't think she should get over the bridge before you, or do something as belittling as waiting for you to cross first.

Strap her to a brain analyser thingy, and the output will read ' I am very much more important than you, and need to be in front or first at all cost' Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
That's not to be blamed on having or not having blue tooth, following crazy sat navs, or phones. But is instead technically known as just being a cunt!

She is displaying Audi cock behaviour, and there won't be any time in her mind that she doesn't think she should get over the bridge before you, or do something as belittling as waiting for you to cross first.

Strap her to a brain analyser thingy, and the output will read ' I am very much more important than you, and need to be in front or first at all cost' Laughing

Women do not have brains, they have random thought selectors and ROM for when you did something wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2