Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What to do with my old projector?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:00 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: What to do with my old projector? Reply with quote

Optoma GT 750 XL

I owned this since new I think I bought it in 2011. At the time, it was one of the best 3D projectors without spending £1,000's on a higher end one, think it cost me about £800 (I think).

Anyway, the bulb finally went a few months back and I bought a new lamp for £120 from AV Parts Master.

Man this thing was bright originally @ 3,500 lumens but within about 20 hours of use, not even... the DMD chip started failing.

https://i.imgur.com/w57vhfd.jpg

It's basically a tiny chip inside with hundreds of little mirrors which start failing and the only cure is to buy a new DMD chip.

Spoke to Optoma and they want £300 odd. Using cheap Chinese knock offs is not an option when it comes to DMD chips either, they are a Texas Instruments piece of hardware and extremely hard to replicate due to the mind numbingly difficult manufacture process / cost.

It works fine but as this chip continues to fail, more and more of those white spots appear.

Reckon I should whip the bulb out and try selling it for £99 or something? And sell the projector as spares and repairs for like £40?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it as a constellation mapper Thumbs Up

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:47 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New for old Contents insurance..? "it fell off the ceiling, bro"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be worth more than £420 once repaired? Inc the new bulb?

If not, it's an ecconomical write off - recoup what you can and move on.

Personally, I'd hope to get the £120 back to cover the cost of the bulb - any extra would be a bonus.

Old tech items don't tend to hold a resale value, especially when in need of repair.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:25 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it would be worth £420 if repaired, maybe if it was fully working with a new bulb I might see £200 - £250 max.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
I doubt it would be worth £420 if repaired, maybe if it was fully working with a new bulb I might see £200 - £250 max.

Then it isn't worth spending £300 on it.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:27 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Optoma something with 720p resolution. It stopped working after about 5 years of moderate use. I decided to upgrade instead of paying for repairs.

It seemed a bit silly to pay even £100 for a new bulb which might not fix the problem when I could buy a new 1080p projector for £400. I might have "lost" a few quid but I gained a newer projector with none of the messing about.

Bite the bullet and upgrade. Sell the old one for someone else to repair if you can be bothered. On that note, I think I still have my old one if anyone wants it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:34 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: What to do with my old projector? Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
What to do with my old projector?

99p no reserve on eBay as spares or repair and see what happens. Pass the popcorn

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:16 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
I had an Optoma something with 720p resolution. It stopped working after about 5 years of moderate use. I decided to upgrade instead of paying for repairs.

It seemed a bit silly to pay even £100 for a new bulb which might not fix the problem when I could buy a new 1080p projector for £400. I might have "lost" a few quid but I gained a newer projector with none of the messing about.

Bite the bullet and upgrade. Sell the old one for someone else to repair if you can be bothered. On that note, I think I still have my old one if anyone wants it.

For £120 for a new bulb I thought I had got away with it.

Anyway, just bought a 4K projector and a new Sapphire screen... it's un fucking real Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1