BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What garage back up bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be verrrrry grudgingly fairing, I have been surprised by how much climate is deflected away from me while on the racebike. I'd assumed that slippery plastics would drag it right onto me, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
To be verrrrry grudgingly fairing, I have been surprised by how much climate is deflected away from me while on the racebike. I'd assumed that slippery plastics would drag it right onto me, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Funny thing is, I've owned and ridden a few sports bikes in my time. I'm not arguing that they don't deflect the elephants somewhat when moving. But I think I can honestly say I've never tried to justify owning one because this is such an advantage on them. Nor has it ever stopped me from choosing something more upright, less faired, afterwards, or chosen to go out in the rain when I otherwise wouldn't have done Wink

I fully admit I seem to have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this one Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:52 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas I wouldn't buy one without a fairing at the moment cause commuting.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Whereas I wouldn't buy one without a fairing at the moment cause commuting.

Ah, but it's not just sports bikes that have fairings, and you'll still get wet in the rain without waterproof kit.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, it's head and heart. Went to my local dealer today and sat on a Beemer 1200RT..I thought, 'by damn that's a superbly practical machine.' Then I spied a new ZX10-R. I sat astride and nearly had an orgasm! Luckily for me I ride a bike which is very fast, comfortable , weather friendly and draws a bit of attention now and then. When I open the garage door and look at my Busa I get a sort of 10/10 feeling. Many older riders talk about their old sports bikes apologetically, settling for something a little more user friendly as their body starts to complain a bit and it seems to rain more often. I wonder how many aged dying bikers will utter these words....'I wish I'd ridden sensible bikes when I was young,' Ride whatever you wish, main or back up bike but try not to forget why we ride bikes (I hope)....the are so bloody exciting!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride and like sports bikes when they were still roomy, large and comfy, basically before 2005. They had big fairings, wernt too cramped and would all be called sports tourers today. Seemed important at the time and all that.

Now I'm sensible/old bastard I like my classic 70's-90's Jap tin, and resto modified older bikes. The other heart over head bikes I'm into are silly small supermoto's and trailies. I grew up on off roaders and so out of all bikes out there, the tall seat upright wide bars riding position is the most natural to me. Like I was born in that position rather than a sportsbike crouch.

Oh and I regard the most exotic and trick of supermoto bikes, just as cutting edge as the latest sports bikes really.

Though speed don't bother me now, I'd much rather have a 40-50bhp 100kg bike, than a 200bhp 200kg bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Truth is, it's head and heart. Went to my local dealer today and sat on a Beemer 1200RT..I thought, 'by damn that's a superbly practical machine.' Then I spied a new ZX10-R. I sat astride and nearly had an orgasm!

So the RT was more practical.was it more comfortable?

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:32 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
biker7 wrote:
Truth is, it's head and heart. Went to my local dealer today and sat on a Beemer 1200RT..I thought, 'by damn that's a superbly practical machine.' Then I spied a new ZX10-R. I sat astride and nearly had an orgasm!

So the RT was more practical.was it more comfortable?

Depends on the rider. I preferred the ZX cos it had high tank and low bars. I personally like to rest on the tank rather than bikes that push the weight on your bum. Riders with bad backs or those who just like to sit up would probably prefer the Beemer . Personally I think they are over priced. If I wanted a sensible lowish bhp bike, I would not pay Jap superbike money. However BMW fans would heartily disagree, I'm sure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5