Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: The Humanity Bureau Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
The Humanity Bureau

Starring Nicolas Cage....... I say "starring", hardly a stellar perfomance

When was the last time Cage put in a stellar performance?

He's pretty much phoned it in since day 1.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: The Humanity Bureau Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Stoker wrote:
The Humanity Bureau

Starring Nicolas Cage....... I say "starring", hardly a stellar perfomance

When was the last time Cage put in a stellar performance?

He performs the same everytime, the first couple of times you think he's alright, until you realise what's going on. Much like Tom Cruise.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about Tom Cruise;

American Made - 7/10
Found it to be a fun film to watch. Roughly based on a true story. What would you do if you had too much money.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:44 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase IV

70's horror type thing in the mould of The Andromeda Strain. Desert populace + conscious ants + scientists = examination of man vs nature etc. Tense.

7/10

Wind River

Jeremy Renner and some FBI girl try and solve crime in the frozen Indian reservations of Wyoming. Great cinematography, really gives a sense of place and isolation (in that respect it kind of reminded me of Insomnia). By the same bloke who did Hell and High Water, and has similar pacing - slow and deliberate mostly, which gives time for the plot to wander along, and to settle into the environment. Quite a denouement to the investigation too.

8/10

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Night In Turin 4.5/10 - story of the England team (back when they gave a shit) in Italia '90, told in a Guy Richie... and therefore every British crime film since style. Nothing special, I guess it gave a bit more background than sporting docs normally do.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fray - 6/10 - 1 bottle of Malbec
Injured marine struggles in civvy street. Very slow film, limited dialogue to begin with. Probably deliberate to increase that sense of bleak isolation.
I found it easy to stick with it though, held my attention throughout.

Lion - 5/10 - 1 bottle of Merlot
I can't explain exactly why, but I just didn't care. It was based on a true story, but was often overpowering with the smultz.
Overtly Hollywood, something about having my heart strings yanked with zero subtlety, I find it has the opposite effect. I've probably stopped watching 5 in 500 movies. This was one.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: The Humanity Bureau Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

Is Nicholas cage good or bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuyH89V_HV8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostorm - 5/10

Plot moves too fast, no depth, nothing special, stupid premise, terrible film.

Redeemed only by the funny parts which weren't meant to be funny. Found myself laughing at how terribly unrealistic it was. Even for an action movie which has some license to fill itself with fantastical things, it really was just stupid.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apex: The Story of the Hypercar 7/10 - lots of Chris Harris, really good and I'd actually rate it higher except the ending was a bit disappointing (due to outside events).

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAILS

Wee Scottish lady Shauna Macdonald (The Descent + others), lands in hospital after a near fatal hit and run. Much malarky with evil spirits and creepy hospital staff. Shoestring budget but quite entertaining. Horror/spooky/mystery escapade. 7.5/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:53 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriot's Day - 6/10

A well-made propaganda piece.

Would rate it higher, but propaganda slant is too obvious.

God Bless America.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Walk Among the Tombstones - 6/10 - 1 bottle of Pinot Noir
Liam Neeson, ex cop becomes a PI hunting down crazed kidnapper / murderers. By the numbers for much of it, but different enough to keep interest.
I'm not a fan of films which set off in one tone such as a thriller, but introduce comedy. It rarely works well. It doesn't here.

A Man Called Ove - 7/10 - 1 bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Swedish film about an angry retiree who doesn't see any hope for enjoyment out of life after his wife died. Film covers the present and past of their lives.
It flirts with the smultz, but just about keeps on the right side most of the time.
Liked it.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken 3 0.1/10

What a load of dribbling shite. "You downloaded some stuff off the police server, I could arrest you for that." No mention of the utter carnage he wreaked on the expressway when he took over the cop car. How many people maimed and killed? Oh, that container that squashed all those cars just after they'd been smashed out of control, they'd all got out and clear?

Hollywood dreck at it's finest. Laughing

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Thor: Ragnarok

Went to see this in 3D last night. I liked the first couple of Thor films, so expecttions were slightly high. What a brilliant film. I thin kthat the film could have been more colourful, but I was watching it in 3D and I've always found that the colours are muted. I saw the trailer in the lobby afterwards and it was in glorious technicolour.

Funnier than the last couple of films, The rock bloke thats in it is very funny. 8/10

That's the director (Taika Waititi)

I also enjoyed the film, much better than anything else I've seen in the cinema recently.

I've also really enjoyed his other films (sorry if they're already mentioned somewhere in this thread);
What we do in the shadows
Boy
Eagle Verses Shark
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostorm.

Not as bad as reviewers made out, some big names in the film; Andy Garcia and Ed Harris to name but two. Very much in the same vein as Armageddon, so not all bad. It's a film I'd watch again. 7.5/10

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy 4/10 - intimate look at Amy Winehouse's life. As so much of it played out in the public eye I knew most of the story, despite never being particularly interested in her. I still don't get what was the big deal about her.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justice League - boring story, characters that I didn't care about, distractingly terrible CGI and a 'big bad' villain who was defeated quickly and without any real danger.

3 badly removed moustaches/10

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police story lockdown.

Jackie Chan, police corruption, much kung-fu and it's all in Chinese, English subtitles. Very confusing film, good fight scenes. A movie to watch when you are 3 sheets to the wind and don't really care about a plot and you just want to see an action film. 6/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Justice League - boring story, characters that I didn't care about, distractingly terrible CGI and a 'big bad' villain who was defeated quickly and without any real danger.

3 badly removed moustaches/10

Watched this on Saturday.

Agreed. Absolutely terrible film.

Ben Affleck as fat old useless batman is utterly absurd too.

Also felt like a total loser watching it in a Chinese cinema, surrounded by people who must surely have been thinking how pathetic western culture is. Some of our most popular heroes wear capes.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robocop (Remake) 6/10

Not an awful attempt at modern day Robocop, but was largely predictable and didn't really attempt anything new. It seemed more like fan service, trying to squeeze in old references and quotes in a less successful way than Jurassic World. Good cast but not really utilised, special effects were good as were some of the action scenes. The original Robocop films were set in what was perceived to be "the future", as such all the of the technology on Robocop was cutting edge. Yet when the remake demonstrates the level or tech already available at present day in the opening scene, it feels like they are making problems to advance the plot for RobertCop.

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/580/702/a01.jpg

Minor spoilers / why bother moments
I couldn't stop laughing when they strip back all the armour and Alex is simply a box with his lungs and heart ... & a hand connected by nothing. Why keep that one hand? An Arm I can understand, by why one hand ! This couldn't just make a simple AI to scan through CCTV footage to detect criminals, nope definitely needed a nose, eyes and a single hand to complete this task

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:55 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Also felt like a total loser watching it in a Chinese cinema

D.C will keep churning them out as long as people keep paying to see them.

At some point you're complicit in your own abuse.

Still, I hear tell that they cut most of the backstory of Fishfiddler and Tokenborg, and the anorexic meat puppet is going full femtard IRL, so there's those lulz to feast on.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Also felt like a total loser watching it in a Chinese cinema

D.C will keep churning them out as long as people keep paying to see them.

At some point you're complicit in your own abuse.

Still, I hear tell that they cut most of the backstory of Fishfiddler and Tokenborg, and the anorexic meat puppet is going full femtard IRL, so there's those lulz to feast on.

@4.15 to see Mark Kermode tearing into it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09g8jjr/the-film-review-film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool-justice-league-mudbound# Laughing

Super group movies never work for me, that's what annoys me about Marvel films, why can't they stick to A film about A character. DC are trying to follow them with Batman Vs Superman and now this, when they should stick to individual films that work (eg: Wonderwoman and the Christian Bale batman films).

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:28 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian and the city of 1,000 planets - 7/10

This looked very pretty on my new projector / screen. I loved it but always appreciate the level of detail that goes in to creating entire universes and 100's of different species of creatures that didn't exist before. Similarly like John Carter because of that.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 7/10

Love that Draxx guy, he's hilarious. Watched this in 4K too on the projector... much wow.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Horsemen 6/10 - economics documentary about the banking sector/capitalism etc.. The best film of its type I've seen, as they remain just the right side of tin foil hatery.
I didn't agree with parts of it, but I liked that it gave a different perspective to some opinions I hold. They'll be much further reading after this one Smile

Thor: Ragnarok 4/10 - they've taken the humour they injected into Thor 2, and ramped it up to cretinous, it was basically this: https://youtu.be/g3auVF7jcZg?t=30s
As always with Marvel films there was required reading Mad This time:
- Dr Strange
- Avengers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 137 of 194