J&S 20% off

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: J&S 20% off Reply with quote

Promo spam, figured I'd pass on.

J&S Sale 20% off "everything (like last time where some products were removed entirely from the online catalogue)."

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, cheers for the heads up, was going to head over to the Doncaster store soon to get myself a Leather jacket for Crimbo

Might have to go sooner rather than later

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastage

Just bought winter gloves last week from J&S Mad

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all rush in and grab something we don't really want as a bargain then.

I never see much worth in getting all excited about a motorbike gear shop sale.

Off Topic: Even when Hein Gerrike went oot the game they never offered much to the punter as a gesture of thanks for the years of custom.

(And they skunked all their staff for their salaries too. Bastirts.)

If I was passing by I would look in. But I'll not be going out of my way for it.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Doncaster store today and picked up an RST Blade I leather jacket for £140, early Xmas present Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Let's all rush in and grab something we don't really want as a bargain then.
I never see much worth in getting all excited about a motorbike gear shop sale.

Agreed, but since most of the major players seem to have a substantial discount sale at this time of year, it does make some sense to plan ahead a bit and buy your gear at the end of the so-called biking season rather than at the beginning Cool

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with J&S is J&S: poor stock depth and the unwillingness, at my local one at least, to price match. Plenty o times I've heard the main manager walk around and declare, "no we won't budge on price," and therefore what he's really saying is, "buy it or get out." I get along with them, mind -- as well as someone who is likely to receive money from someone pretends to -- but grow bored of being restricted in what I can buy. I feel without RST J&S would fall on its arse.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
The biggest problem with J&S is J&S: poor stock depth and the unwillingness, at my local one at least, to price match. Plenty o times I've heard the main manager walk around and declare, "no we won't budge on price," and therefore what he's really saying is, "buy it or get out." I get along with them, mind -- as well as someone who is likely to receive money from someone pretends to -- but grow bored of being restricted in what I can buy. I feel without RST J&S would fall on its arse.

How do they have a poor stock depth? How big are you expecting their store to be? It has to remain economically viable. For a physical, walk instore, I think they have a decent range, and during the 'discount' promotions their prices on the whole are pretty good. It's also in their remit whether they price match or not, if that bothers so much, buy what you want elsewhere or online.

Personally, I like buying my gear from West Midlands Motorcycles, just outside Brierley Hill, can get some decent priced gear in there, but, it can also be a bit hit and miss, as I think the stock is generally end of line or seconds ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, staffed bricks and mortar stores have massive overheads compared to shonky warehouses or bedroom drop shippers. They cannot compete on price. I'm glad that some of them still exist, although i can't recall the last time I used one.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
It's also in their remit whether they price match or not

Naturally, but feels like an ancient policy in the modern age. Why would anyone spend x amount more when they could try in store and buy elsewhere.

If only sportsbikeshop were closer. Sad

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the comment on poor stocking. It's not the range of stuff that is the problem it's the size availability. I went I today to get a new jacket and trouser set. 3rd time in as many months for the same thing. Out of the three suits I'm interested in they didn't have my (medium) size in any bar one, but they only had the jacket. The sizes they do have are often mismatched so I think most people would struggle to get a matching set. I asked them to check stocking in the next closest store but they were the same. They always seem to be like that. It's a shame as I would have bought it from them even at the slightly higher price than SBS.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
. . .

Shirley they'd offer to order the size in for you? Failing that there's their website.

Update: "They could phone me tomorrow and tell me to take the signs down (what I heard when I walked in today. Could be scaremonger buy more buy now tactics, though."

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
kgm wrote:
. . .

Shirley they'd offer to order the size in for you? Failing that there's their website.

Update: "They could phone me tomorrow and tell me to take the signs down (what I heard when I walked in today. Could be scaremonger buy more buy now tactics, though."

They could but didn't offer to, jus checked stock in 1 other store.. I'm going to see if there's any decent deals at the NEC, if not SBS will get the order.

My point is that it's a recurring issue, I go in because I want to try things on, there's no benefit to going into the store if I can't do that. If I was able to do that I'd buy from them as I'm not one for taking advantage then just going online.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local J&S is the finedon branch, pretty big store, which i think used to be a Frank Thomas warehouse.. but its pretty unwelcoming in there.

No longer allowed to try any helmets on either, unlike the old store

The shop is full of loads of bloody old kit too, kinda like 80's & 90's leathers etc..

They also have quite alot of the old Hein Gericke stuff, sold at the same price they were in HG.

Theres a "Bargain Bucket" of 80/90's gloves in a cardboard box for about £20 a pair which is rubbish.

Once went in to buy a bottle of FS365 in the little 1ltr bottle, they tried to charge me £34 odd quid. Should have been £10ish, but after asking them to check the price and was that the right product they were charging for, they were adamant that it was £34..

Had to bring up the website on my phone and show them the correct cost for them to back down... They were charging me for the 5ltr version.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 05:44 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ... will now be able to get 20% off the £90 waterproofs which weren't waterproof (all four pairs) ... superb saving!

All the best ... Barry

P.S. When I complained about brand new waterproofs leaking at the first sign of rain I was told ... You get what you pay for ... feckin nuggets!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
No longer allowed to try any helmets on either, unlike the old store.

Eh? How the? Are they expecting you to select a lid on looks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:10 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Are they expecting you to select a lid on looks?

They're admitting defeat, they know that they cannot compete with the internets so are giving up trying.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the RST jacket I was looking at t'other week is still exactly the same price despite being in this sale Liar Liar

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Well, the RST jacket I was looking at t'other week is still exactly the same price despite being in this sale

That is, to confirm so you don't loose out, with the item added to your basket rather than just looking at the listing?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above the discount is added only at the checkout

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just assumed since it didn't have a before and after price it wasn't included Laughing New jacket time for me cheers Thumbs Up

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 19:45 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:

When will people get it into their thick skulls if it isn't gore-tex it will leak it's just a matter of when.

So indeed you do 'get what you pay for'.

Yeah, you're Mr Clever ... everyone else is a thicko!

Well Mr Clever, I've bought plenty of sub £40 waterproofs which have lasted for years ... the initial pair I bought from J&S and the three sets of replacements leaked the first time it rained!

I don't expect them to last as long as Goretex, but I expect them to last for at least a year ... it doesn't matter what they are made of, they are sold as being being waterproof and for a company to turn round and say you get what you pay for ... pathetic!
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ my el cheapo ones were waterproof until they got a whole in. Pair #2 are still waterproof.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2