Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprillia RS125 not starting [Fixed]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:52 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Aprillia RS125 not starting [Fixed] Reply with quote

Hello, my 58 plate aprillia isnt starting, has a new battery has a new spark plug, will get another new spark plug to test it. This all started yesterday, i put in the new battery bike didnt start, so bump started it and it started but then died as i let go off the throttle i think. Couldnt figure out the issue yesterday so headed back to the bike today. We remove the spark plug , cleaned it with carb cleaner, put it in and it started but then died again because i thnk i let go of the throttle again. So then we removed the carb bowl; the fuel was clean, sprayed out the jets and it still failed to start. We tested for a spark in the spark plug but im not sure if it had a big enough spark. We put a bottle cap of petrol in the spark plug hole twice and it didnt start. Gearbox oil is low.

The solution:
Dimerz wrote:
The new vacuum fuel tap fixed it, runs much better now than before when it did run, not sluggish in the first 3 gears.

Last edited by Dimerz on 23:24 - 18 Nov 2017; edited 2 times in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the battery voltage using the neg/earth probe on the battery and then the bike frame?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
What is the battery voltage using the neg/earth probe on the battery and then the bike frame?

If it's anything other than zero, somethings very wrong with physics....

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a brand new mottobat gel it had 12.9v last time i checked. Its failing to bump start so batterys fine. Could have flooded the engine from all the attempts to start it. Its a 2 stroke full power, 2008.

Has a 38mm carb with K&N air filter. New BR10EG spark plug. Premium fuel if that matters. Oil is getting through.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:17 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

38mm, not 34?

What's your compression like, as in the exact psi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the compression rate in a few minutes, im pretty sure its a 38mm carb in there, maybe 34. Ill have a look. Bought 2 more spark plugs just incase.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:31 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my compression rate, its good. Still didnt start, there is a spark at te spark plug. It may be flooded? Its turning over, not starting. Battery reads 12.9 when its out, put it in amd connect it and it goes down to 11.7-11.9 when ignition turned on (Lights on).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:38 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that figure is solid.

All you need is fuel and spark. Put a dry plug in and turn it over for a few seconds. Whip plug out. Is it wet

If you think it's power related, attach car battery to jump leads and put the + on your + and frame for ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After testing it all out, we found out that using a separate petrol holder pre-mixed and turnin the fuel tap on on it. The bike turned over turned over and then started, until the fuel ran out. My bikes tank has a vacuum petrol tap 'thing', petrol only comes out if the pipe is pressured. So what do i do? It only started with the separate petrol holder. Tried it with my tank and it didnt start.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:33 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So either the vacuum pipe is damaged or the tap is having issues. Can't remember clearly, but is there a 'prime' option on the RS? If so, that bypasses the vacuum.

Failing that, it could possibly have a blockage in the tank... but thats a 'possible' rather than fact.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:21 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just took the petrol tap off it and cleaned the petrol filter. I dont think the tap is the problem, maybe theres not enough air being pulled from the carb where the vacuum tube goes in to pull down the suction in the tap and let the fuel out. When i sucked on the small pipe from the fuel tap, fuel come out of the big pipe and so i clamped on the little pipe to let the fuel out.

The prime option is on the fuel taps that have on/off and reserve If im not mistaken.

Questions are:
Is the vacuum not pulling hard enough?
or
Could it be that the oil mixture is wrong? (will check the oil pump settings) Could be that because so much oil is hitting the spark plug, it wont start. Last time i checked the spark plug it was quite black (oil).

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:43 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reeds are fine but may be on the way out because when i look up at the sun through the hole you could see tiny amounts of light coming through some edges. But it started with the other petrol holder so i assume these are fine.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:32 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its the vacuum not the oil mixture, I disconnected the big pipe and fuel wasnt coming out when startin the bike up which explained the lacl of petrol smell on the spark plug. But why has it suddenly changed? Ive rode it a fair few places. It has been a little hard to stat sometimes and sometimes had tp bump start it but now it womt start. Bought a new vacuum tap to see if it will help maybe the diaphram is done inside.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:03 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only needs a tiny hole for the vacuum to not be adequate to actuate the valve enough.... It can cause problems when you can start the bike on "prime", get down the road to a junction where you are idling for a moment and it dies. especially when you are pulling out onto a roundabout.

I hate vacuum valves Middle Finger

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
...It can cause problems when you can start the bike on "prime"...

Ive tried finding information for this 'prime' mode and cant find anything.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:31 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
Stoker wrote:
...It can cause problems when you can start the bike on "prime"...

Ive tried finding information for this 'prime' mode and cant find anything.

3 positions on the fuel tap. 'on', 'prime', 'off'

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:35 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

3 positions on the fuel tap. 'on', 'prime', 'off'

Oh right, with a vacuum tap dont have that. Hopefully that new one will sort it out, coming 1-2 days. Its killing me not being able to ride it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:23 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, they are just nipples on the RS.

Erm, best way to test, get the vacuum pipe, attach to tank and suck on the other end of the pipe. If fuel flows, there is your issue.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:46 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Oh yeah, they are just nipples on the RS.

Erm, best way to test, get the vacuum pipe, attach to tank and suck on the other end of the pipe. If fuel flows, there is your issue.

Yeah when i suck on the vacuum pipe the fuel does come out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the engine will generate enough vacuum to open that. When it turns over can you feel anything if you re-attach the pipe.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
When it turns over can you feel anything if you re-attach the pipe.

What'd you mean can i feel anything? put my finger over the vacuum nipple and see, or at the end of the pipe maybe.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:22 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new vacuum fuel tap fixed it, runs much better now than before when it did run, not sluggish in the first 3 gears.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:08 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good now but I meant the actual vacuum part where the pipe connects to, not the tank end. If when turning over you felt nothing there then a tap wouldn't fix. Glad it's working now Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1