Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time to start recording my commute - recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Fuck cameras that is the biggest problem in this country.

Truth is oppression, yo. The freedom to lie is the most important human right, cuz.

I AM NOT A SHIP ADMIRALTY LAW DOES NOT APPLY I WILL NOT STAND IN YOUR "DOCK".

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:28 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 Drift Stealth 2 cameras the first one is still in use today after 2 years of daily use and works fine.

The second one was bought a year later and they must've changed something because the battery failed after 8 months, they sent me a replacement under warranty and that failed around the 8 month mark too. The issue is the battery will no longer fully charge until you see the green light instead it'll go on forever, if you reconnect it after 5 hours or so it will turn green but it'll run for half the time it's supposed too. I opened the second one up and the battery was basically done as it has expanded a lot to the point the case can barely be screwed back on and finding a replacement is tricky.

If you get the Roadhawk buy the usb cable too which is waterproof on the camera end and connect it to a small power bank in your pocket for lots of run time. I've got one and it's alright for the job but a bit of a faff.

I'm currently using a Drift 4K and haven't had any issues with it but it's expensive and that battery issue may come back but you can at least swap out battery modules.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I've had 3 Drift Stealth 2 cameras the first one is still in use today after 2 years of daily use and works fine.

The second one was bought a year later and they must've changed something because the battery failed after 8 months, they sent me a replacement under warranty and that failed around the 8 month mark too. The issue is the battery will no longer fully charge until you see the green light instead it'll go on forever, if you reconnect it after 5 hours or so it will turn green but it'll run for half the time it's supposed too. I opened the second one up and the battery was basically done as it has expanded a lot to the point the case can barely be screwed back on and finding a replacement is tricky.

If you get the Roadhawk buy the usb cable too which is waterproof on the camera end and connect it to a small power bank in your pocket for lots of run time. I've got one and it's alright for the job but a bit of a faff.

I'm currently using a Drift 4K and haven't had any issues with it but it's expensive and that battery issue may come back but you can at least swap out battery modules.

Drift are a bit hit and miss. I bought a refurbished unit which failed just out of (the short) warranty. Luckily they have good customer service so gave me a replacement/upgrade.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adam277 wrote:
Fuck cameras that is the biggest problem in this country.

Truth is oppression, yo. The freedom to lie is the most important human right, cuz.

I AM NOT A SHIP ADMIRALTY LAW DOES NOT APPLY I WILL NOT STAND IN YOUR "DOCK".

The irony is the fakefreemen like cameras until they're stolen by the police and have silliness uploaded.

However I can see his point about all this filming.

If I wanted to practice parkour,badly, or run around as a siberian tiger.
I wouldn't want someone with a camera attempting to profit at my expense.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody recall that BCFer? He was involved in an accident (not his fault) the camera went missing.

I'd think with some of the scuzzers around that they'd make a bee line to see if you're ok and to take your camera to destroy evidence. Sort of like a modern day version of having your shoes stolen if you're found unconscious.

Maybe it's time for a backup camera and a backup backup camera and a backup backup backup camera etc.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

I wouldn't want someone with a camera attempting to profit at my expense.

There are many though. In numerous UK towns there have been people approaching others then snapping their picture and putting it up on instagram.

They justify it by saying asking ruins the moment. I wonder if a savage beating would ruin the moment too. Confused
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Does anybody recall that BCFer? He was involved in an accident (not his fault) the camera went missing.

No? Confused There was (a video posted of) a vlogger who started a fight and got beaten up/his camera stolen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
In numerous UK towns there have been people approaching others then snapping their picture and putting it up on instagram.

What number?

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use a hardwired camera, mounted on the bike, that just comes on with the ignition and you don't have to fart arse around with batteries or remembering to switch it on the day you have a crash.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:08 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Anyone use a hardwired camera, mounted on the bike, that just comes on with the ignition and you don't have to fart arse around with batteries or remembering to switch it on the day you have a crash.

Yes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:

I guess the problem with that's the camera stays on the bike whilst you get carted away in the ambulance.

DweebleCat
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:55 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using a Drift Ghost-S for roughly 3 years now. I have mixed thoughts on it.

Good:
Long battery life - up to 4 hours
Slim/compact design
Intuitive interface
Robust helmet mounts
Rain proof out of the box
30/50/60fps capture modes

Bad:
Gives memory card errors intermittently for no apparent reason
Complains of low speed memory even when using the fastest card on the market.
Can randomly lock-up, requiring battery removal to reset.
Image quality not as good as Gopro.
Bad image quality at night time.
Poorly placed microphone with no guard, catches a lot of wind noise.
Poorly quality mounting bracket insert, compression tags will snap off over time. (the one attached to camera)

Misc:
It can work flawlessly for months at a time, but sometimes it will have problems several times a day.
I would rate it as being reliable about 90% of the time.

If you don't want to be deafened by wind noise when reviewing footage, you will need a makeshift dampener.
What I did was cut up an old sock, doubling the fabric over several times and taping it over the Microphone port. so just the fabric is exposed.
I would recommend doing this with a synthetic or wool material, like one of those thick Explorer socks.

I've been hunting for a replacement for this, but haven't found anything in the small form-factor range that meets my requirements.
Ayeshall This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:14 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Yes.

Ooooh you bloody tease! Evil or Very Mad

These rear view mirror cameras can't be any good... Right?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:25 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

I'd think with some of the scuzzers around that they'd make a bee line to see if you're ok and to take your camera to destroy evidence. Sort of like a modern day version of having your shoes stolen if you're found unconscious.

Maybe it's time for a backup camera and a backup backup camera and a backup backup backup camera etc.

Bluetooth connection to mobile phone mounted memory card should do it.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayeshall wrote:
Hmmm, ide say about once a week these days

Hmmm . . . Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2