Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hug Trees a little.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Excess waste and pollution aren't the same thing - unless used batteries emit greenhouse gases too?

Greenhouse gases aren't pollution, they're AWESOMEVOLUTION.

You don't drink water or anything water-based, right?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:

While we're on waste, what are we going to be doing about the extra nuclear waste that is generated, the stuff with a half life of a billion years?

Not half a billion years, but let's take this argument.

Why do you think it would need to be shipped off to another country? A hundred years of nuclear power for the UK would require perhaps a midsize warehouse's capacity worth of nuclear fuel.

That really isn't a lot. The footprint of a large warehouse would maybe be about 1 hectare. So that much space would be needed to house all this spent fuel, all 100 years worth of it. Not a huge logistical undertaking, and not a security risk either, specially for a nation that hasn't been successfully invaded by force for a thousand years.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Excess waste and pollution aren't the same thing - unless used batteries emit greenhouse gases too?

Greenhouse gases aren't pollution, they're AWESOMEVOLUTION.

You don't drink water or anything water-based, right?

Ah so you're imagining the Worst Kind of World where old batteries are all lobbed into the sea or buried below water tables, and waste management and recycling centres are not yet imagined into the social fabric.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Not a huge logistical undertaking, and not a security risk either, specially for a nation that hasn't been successfully invaded by force for a thousand years.

*cough* Radical Islam *cough*

Oh I forgot, that one doesn't exist either, it's "mental health issues". Silly me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Ah so you're imagining the Worst Kind of World where old batteries are all lobbed into the sea or buried below water tables, and waste management and recycling centres are not yet imagined into the social fabric.

I'm imagining that whatever produces the most profit will happen, and that forms will be stamped and palms greased in whichever sweaty armpit of the world the batteries end up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recycling+fraud

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
*cough* Radical Islam *cough*

Nuclear bombs fission and especially fusion are extremely high precision devices. It's why only states after considerable effort have made them.

Now you might think dirty bomb. Except this has been de-bunked for years (doesn't stop the main stream media constantly mentioning it). These only have psychological impact and kill from explosives and not the nuclear material. I mean rationally think about it. It's materials that emit ionising radiation. Yet the explosion will dilute it massively.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'm imagining that whatever produces the most profit will happen, and that forms will be stamped and palms greased in whichever sweaty armpit of the world the batteries end up.

I actually reckon lead acid batteries may make a come back. It's a few plates of lead in an acid bath. Much simpler than lithium or lipos but lower power to weight ratio but much easier to maintain and or replace.

When they break the lead plates just fall off to the bottom of the battery so they can be salvaged and recycled.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:41 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I actually reckon lead acid batteries may make a come back.

Bloke I bought my Burgman from had converted an ICE sports tourer (I want to say GPZ900) to lead-acid electric.

stinkwheel will be delighted to hear that it was fully faired. He reckoned it had a range of about 30 miles, although I'd apply a pretty significant bullshit divisor to that.

Still, it apparently went and stopped and would be usable for some.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:18 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
You could power the UK for a year with a living room's size worth of nuclear fuel - fuel which is quite abundant thus far.

That claim is not substantiated in that link, what are your actual figures?

Based on that site's figures: 2g/ day per person = (0.002Kg * 60E6 people (CBA to adjust for demographics) = 120,000Kg per day. So 120,000kg / per person per day * 365 days in year = 43,800,000 Kg.

Well that can't be right, you must mean per person per year, right?

0.002kg per person per day * 365 days in year = 0.73kg Eh?

Either you have a tiny living room or a huge one, but both of those answers are several orders of magnitude off from your claim.

That site also doesn't reference how those 16kg are consumed, for example, does that include ICE engines? Because we know they are less efficient that power plant production, so comparing the 2 wouldn't make much sense. Is it including fuel processing costs/externalities? Anything like that?

Lord Percy wrote:
Any 'market' related problems are entirely due to red tape, lobbying and ulterior-motivated fearmongering.

No. In aviation they say "The regulations are written in blood". Nuclear power is the inverse of this, barely anyone has died in Nuclear power generation. It's incredibly safe, because the regulations have been forward thinking and (mostly) sensible.

Would it be cheaper to deregulate? Sure it would. It would also be fucking moronic. Cars would be cheaper without safety features, air travel would be cheaper if pilots needed less training, houses would be cheaper without building regs. drugs would be cheaper if we didn't have to test them etc etc. That is not a persuasive argument.

Nuclear power is so prohibitively expensive that even with significant subsidies to cover its huge life time cost (preparation and decommissioning being large portions of the overall cost) , it simply can't compete with natural gas turbines (£93/MWh Vs £66/MWh) and that isn't taking into account the spiralling cost due to the fixed price of nuclear energy.

You appear to want even more subsidies and state support for a method of power generation that cannot stand on its own feet? If nuclear power cannot generate energy at a cost competitive level, with the safety regulations, even with government subsidy, I don't see a why it should get yet more help?

Solar cells prices have been dropping like a stone for years https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Price_history_of_silicon_PV_cells_since_1977.svg/729px-Price_history_of_silicon_PV_cells_since_1977.svg.png

Wind Price is already lower than nuclear (£88/MWh) and will drop further:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Danish_wind_power_LCOE_vs_wind_speed_in_2012.png

Now, as it happens I don't think renewables (or at least solar and wind) are the answers to the energy issues, but their costs keep dropping, compared to nuclear keeps going up. While we work out the answer (or destroy ourselves, whichever comes first), the change to natural gas turbines isn't all bad.

Now if we had some sort of social-minded government that was prepared to pay any amount to get nuclear power up and running for the future energy security and efficiency, then that would be great. In a world driven by markets? Not happening.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

Uranium is almost as dense as gold.
https://demonocracy.info/infographics/world/gold/images/demonocracy-gold-world_government_reserves.jpg

So you're talking what 22000 tons? That's two Toyota Hilux sized cubes of uranium.

Falco wrote:
You appear to want even more subsidies and state support for a method of power generation that cannot stand on its own feet? If nuclear power cannot generate energy at a cost competitive level, with the safety regulations, even with government subsidy, I don't see a why it should get yet more help?

It's because nothing can provide enough energy on a large enough scale needed to keep the lights on other than nuclear or traditional coal so eventually price ceases to meaningful. This was seen when May tried to negotiate the strike price down from £99/mwh EDF said nope. May bent over.

Renewables are nice and all but you need a backup supply for when it's not working. So when the UK puts in a wind turbine backup capacity in the form of gas turbines have to be built to match incase it is not windy enough.

Even the PRC installing 53GW renewables yearly has put in 50GW more coal and is putting in 50GW nuclear till 2021.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:

While we're on waste, what are we going to be doing about the extra nuclear waste that is generated, the stuff with a half life of a billion years?

Very much this.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in a rocket and send it into space. We might as well start polluting the stars, we've done the Earth to death.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Renewables are nice and all but you need a backup supply for when it's not working. So when the UK puts in a wind turbine backup capacity in the form of gas turbines have to be built to match incase it is not windy enough.

Even the PRC installing 53GW renewables yearly has put in 50GW more coal and is putting in 50GW nuclear till 2021.

So much this.

Germoney's use of fossil fuels is still rising despite them going hog wild on PV. Without mass storage, most of the output from unreliable energy is duplicative, i.e. wasted.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Itchy wrote:

So much this.

Germoney's use of fossil fuels is still rising despite them going hog wild on PV. Without mass storage, most of the output from unreliable energy is duplicative, i.e. wasted.

That's why a barrage is so good. Continuous electricity with the tides plus you can keep water behind the barrage for those heavy consumption periods. It will never happen in the necessary scale though (Severn estuary barrage)

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

Based on that site's figures: 2g/ day per person = (0.002Kg * 60E6 people (CBA to adjust for demographics) = 120,000Kg per day. So 120,000kg / per person per day * 365 days in year = 43,800,000 Kg.

Well that can't be right, you must mean per person per year, right?

Either you have a tiny living room or a huge one, but both of those answers are several orders of magnitude off from your claim.

My bad, I thought that book had the 'living room' statistic in, but I can't find it. No idea where I read that, and I guess it was wrong. In later pages I found this part (and the page after) which says nuclear waste would amount to "35 swimming pool's worth" per generation. Not really that much at all.

By the way I wouldn't spend too long trying to debunk that book. Just read it instead. Presented quite amateurishly on that website but it was written by this guy - David Mackary - I trust his sums. Interesting book too. I've posted it on here before. It bascially outlines possible energy options for the UK to try, if the long term aim is to shift away from fossil fuels. The elephant in the room is nuclear power. He doesn't give any personal opinions or conclusions in the book, but the stats speak pretty loudly.

Quote:

In a world driven by markets? Not happening.

But you miss the fact that nuke power is still in its infancy, having been put on hold since the 60s because people thought oil was the answer to everything. There's been barely any active progress since then because of fearmongering and oil-power dominance. Perhaps the answer really is 'markets', but by the time the markets are screaming for nuke plants, research is in overdrive and cost per kWh is at a minimum, it'll probably be too late.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That's why a barrage is so good. Continuous electricity with the tides plus you can keep water behind the barrage for those heavy consumption periods. It will never happen in the necessary scale though (Severn estuary barrage)

Agreed, Severn estuary needs to be barraged to the eyeballs.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

But you miss the fact that nuke power is still in its infancy, having been put on hold since the 60s because people thought oil was the answer to everything. There's been barely any active progress since then because of fearmongering and oil-power dominance. Perhaps the answer really is 'markets', but by the time the markets are screaming for nuke plants, research is in overdrive and cost per kWh is at a minimum, it'll probably be too late.

More because the greens were constantly up in arms about nuclear, and it became clear that decommissioning early stations was outrageously expensive and difficult.

It was pretty obvious oil was not a sensible choice for generation when prices shot up massively in the 70s as the Arabs stretched their muscle. There was such a crisis that a 50mph national limit was imposed and ration cards issued but never actually used.

The mainstay of UK power generation has been gas for several years now, it will remain so.
This is why we should be fracking not importing fracked gas from the US
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:46 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Falco wrote:

Uranium is almost as dense as gold

So you're talking what 22000 tons? That's two Toyota Hilux sized cubes of uranium.

That is correct for the 22,000 tonnes figure, but where is that from?
It's also rather tangential since I don't believe fuel (or even waste to some extent) is really the problem nuclear is facing.

Itchy wrote:
It's because nothing can provide enough energy on a large enough scale needed to keep the lights on other than nuclear or traditional coal so eventually price ceases to meaningful. This was seen when May tried to negotiate the strike price down from £99/mwh EDF said nope. May bent over.

Except for natural gas, which provides more energy than coal or equal to nuclear + renewables

Itchy wrote:

Right, thank you repeating my own point back to me
Falco wrote:
I don't think renewables (or at least solar and wind) are the answers to the energy issues

For combination with renewables I think natural gas makes most sense since it can be spun and down pretty quickly as renewables would dictate. Nuclear is far less nimble so would be better suited to providing a baseload, with renewables filling in the gaps and providing more local generation where building out power infrastructure is impractical (eg remote places).

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
My bad, I thought that book had the 'living room' statistic in, but I can't find it. No idea where I read that, and I guess it was wrong. In later pages I found this part (and the page after) which says nuclear waste would amount to "35 swimming pool's worth" per generation. Not really that much at all.

By the way I wouldn't spend too long trying to debunk that book. Just read it instead. Presented quite amateurishly on that website but it was written by this guy - David Mackary - I trust his sums. Interesting book too. I've posted it on here before. It bascially outlines possible energy options for the UK to try, if the long term aim is to shift away from fossil fuels. The elephant in the room is nuclear power. He doesn't give any personal opinions or conclusions in the book, but the stats speak pretty loudly.

Fair enough. I don't think the volume of waste has ever been a major issue with nuclear, its more a storage issue. Even that is hardly insurmountable (The Generation IV reactors have the potential to produce far less waste from reuse and to significantly decrease the half-life of the waste (and thus the headache involved with disposal).

Does the printed book have better references? As far as I can see, the notes only start for page 162. I don't particularly doubt him or the idea of nuclear offering a significant advantage as a power source.

LordPercy wrote:

On hold? It's been chugging away since the 60s. Research-wise at least. Building full scale reactors is awfully expensive and who are you proposing pay for this? The eye-wateringly huge sums of capital investment required have to come from somewhere.
The answer for critical infrastructure is never the markets. However that is the choice we have made, renewables have less of an initial outlay, which is why they are easier to sell to the voters, which, I suspect is why they are getting better traction and will continue to grow until the supply inconsistencies become too much of a problem to ignore.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:40 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

Does the printed book have better references? As far as I can see, the notes only start for page 162. I don't particularly doubt him or the idea of nuclear offering a significant advantage as a power source.

There are notes etc at the end of each chapter. I think the idea was to make it readable for a general audience, which wouldn't be the case if every page were filled with footnotes and references. There's also a hefty bibliography at the end. I don't have a printed copy anyway.
Quote:

LordPercy wrote:
But you miss the fact that nuke power is still in its infancy, having been put on hold since the 60s .

On hold? It's been chugging away since the 60s. Research-wise at least. Building full scale reactors is awfully expensive and who are you proposing pay for this? The eye-wateringly huge sums of capital investment required have to come from somewhere.

But 'chugging away' is never going to measure up to the sort of input and investment that the fossil fuel industry has had to hand, so of course nuclear seems like it needs more input and a bigger initial outlay. That's the way anything goes in a market-driven world.

Nuclear needs a massive, non-profit-motivated dose to get itself booted into gear. I think we're in agreement over 'markets' not being the best route for this kind of thing. I suspect the world will be buying its reactors from China soon, and a lot of nations will be kicking themselves for not dumping a lot more taxpayer money into more R&D.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not contributed, but followed with interest.

Nuclear. Can someone explain why it is so horrifically expensive? The only section that needs technology is the reactor itself, boiling water to power turbines was understood by the Victorians! If nuc subs are happily sailing (under) the worlds oceans, why the expense of a land based, size unconstricted reactor?
No one built reactors with de-commisioning in mind, they built them to make fissile matirials, as has been said, latest developments are far more efficient. Not sure of waste disposal, but I am led to believe that it is still hot enough to add to the general heat signature.

Battery power. Yes, there have been quite startling advances in storage capacity, but we are only in the first generation of development and early adopters. Lithium can be recovered at end of life, but that is an expensive process and, by the way, is a highly toxic substance, (with a finite supply), bit like oil actually.... As also mentioned, there has to be a sufficient supply of electricity to charge all these vehicles. (BTW charging batteries is a HIGHLY inefficient way of using your electrical supply).

Wind and solar. Can't really see why the objectors object, that is one area showing real advances and plummeting costs by all means carry on.

Hydrogen keeps getting a mention... and then being ignored. It is the ONLY energy source that ticks ALL the boxes. I know all the objections, but, just as developing the (bloody) nuclear bomb took a hefty slice of the US budget, surely that kind of effort would find an economical way of cracking the stuff?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only point I can think for nuclear costing a lot is the issue of decommissioning and waste management which requires many years of human labour even after the power production has ended.

Seems a bit odd though. Nobody complains about the constant manning and control of rubbish dumps and recycling facilities, which are probably a lot more numerous and sizeable, and whose operations are in the same sort of ballpark as nuclear waste, being that of dealing with non-profitable refuse that can't be legally dumped on the side of the road.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all health and safety.

Think about removal of asbestos, highly regulated loads of safety equipment. So it costs more.

OTOH ship breaking in India? They beach the ship and hack it apart with hand tools. Loads of people die in the process. The environment where it is done gets contaminated etc.

I think the costs could be reduced massively by simply building a containment arch like at Chernobyl in 2016. Just cover it up then pump in concrete to seal it off forever.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, it's the commissioning and decommissioning that fucks with the overall cost efficiency.

Takes 5 years minimum, last I checked.

So the constant NIMBYism and election-cycle policy swings result in a lot of waste.

Another issue is how much technically counts as nuclear waste, and then the transport of that too. I heard once that pens used in the office technically count as radioactive, and that type of nonsense. It could be bullshit, but I heard it in a fairly respectable setting.

And for each Fukashima, investment declines.

If people knew how many nuclear bomb tests had already taken place, without noticeable effect, they might be less paranoid about it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I heard once that pens used in the office technically count as radioactive

In the book I linked to earlier, it notes that the fumes from burnt coal is radioactive too, and that the surroundings of certain coal plants in the USA were found to be more radioactive than comparable nuclear power plant areas.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16